The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

1 minute ago, Razcal said:

The counter argument is likely that they couldn't afford it in non-world cup years.

1 minute ago, Razcal said:

The counter argument is likely that they couldn't afford it in non-world cup years.

The players dont get World Cup renenue in non World Cup years.

And to see Gareth Wheeler shaking his head at questions regarding CSB was a little peculiar if not alarming.  That's pretty biased the way he unconditionally seems to support his bosses. Understandable, but not very journalistic. 

Why not answer the questions about CSB instead of criticizing them!?  

The whole thing stinks. The press conference swung the needle further to the players imo.

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Does this put canmnt versus cpl players now? Owners can only fund so much. 

CSA gets a cut from the CSB deal, up to Bontis to explain what they are doing with their cut.

At the time when the CSB thing happened, no one was willing to do anything about those properties. I find it weird that everyone in the media is questioning it now...I'm like "where were you 5 years ago"?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Yah, i took it from the players statement that they asked for 40% for both teams combined. But like you said, it's not clear at all.

We still don't know what is in the players' proposal - there was an allusion to the player's initial proposal being 100% of the $10 million which would prevent the CSA from buying them the extra tickets they want (which apparently, was something that was not in the proposal but only stated in the player's letter to media/fans).

Who knows what else was being asked for inititally, but if its been revised since then for what was in their Dear Canada letter, since Bontis said that they have already addressed the women's issue complaint in their letter & will sort out the tickets, that leaves a financial dispute over how much the player's bonus will be.

Just now, Ansem said:

At the time when the CSB thing happened, no one was willing to do anything about those properties. I find it weird that everyone in the media is questioning it now...I'm like "where were you 5 years ago"?

Five years ago people weren't asking questions, fair. But there's not a statute of limitations on questions, and so they're asking them now. Rather than deflect and criticize the timing, they should answer the questions.  

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

And to see Gareth Wheeler shaking his head at questions regarding CSB was a little peculiar if not alarming.  That's pretty biased the way he unconditionally seems to support his bosses. Understandable, but not very journalistic. 

The whole thing stinks. The press conference swung the needle further to the players imo.

I think that’s a problem with journalism in general today, not just in this situation.

1 minute ago, Califax said:

Sharman made a good point. The people who think there was a magic pot of money out there are full of shit. 

Most of these guys are on one soccer because bell and rogers fired everyone and funnelled the money into hockey. Our Canadian public broadcaster gambled on getting hockey rights, crippled the sports department, and never really recovered. 

It would be seriously frustrating for James to hear people thinking that there's big royalties and money to be had when a shit ton of people lost their jobs. 

Before OneSoccer came around and the Media Pro deal was signed, the CSA had to often pay the networks to air their games.

Who knows, maybe the CSA negotiated poorly and gave up more than they should have? Had they been able to predict our qualification to the world cup they probably would have negotiated a better deal.

It's likely they got giddy there was money coming in to invest in Canadian soccer, a professional league, and a full time steaming service and signed the deal on the spot because they felt it was too good to be true.

Either way, I'd love to see the full details of the agreement, at the very least that should be shared with the Players

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

CSA gets a cut from the CSB deal, up to Bontis to explain what they are doing with their cut.

Well it sounds like the players got the first thing they wanted. Pressure and eyeballs on the CSA and CSB relationship. Let’s see if they get more of what they are looking for. 

1 hour ago, Soro17 said:

Likely a player agent who, while technically a lawyer, really isn’t one. The kind of law firms that professional sports teams / leagues use would never put out a letter like that. Neither would an actual PR firm. The drafting is amateurish and it displays naivety on key issues that is quite shocking. The leaks to Rick Westhead suggest a player agent as well. 

Like Canucksfan, I am a lawyer. I would receive something better from one of our articling students. 

The agents know that Westhead wouldn't do his research into he topic or any verification.

He would just run with the story as if nothings wrong with it.

This isn't rocket science. The CPL likely requires a bulk of the CSB money to stay operational.

Anyone who followed the MNT and formation of the CPL and now acting "WHAT THE HELL?! WHERE IS THE MONEY" are being ignorant to the reality that everyone knew about setting up the league. It was going to take money and be a long slog.

Edited by mpg_29

I think there are going to be a lot of pissed off former and current players after that craziness. That was just stupid. He’s a lying asshole ! My favourite line, since I’ve been president I had chance see behide the curtain ( paraphrasing). Nick you lying bastard you’ve been a board member for years. Vice President even. You should’ve have known what the full situation was. 

I mean, Wheeler is probably not wrong that until recently there wasn't all that much interest from broadcasters (altough the lack of flexibility of it being probably a package deal with the CPL probably didn't help matters, whether it make a difference or not is a different questions...) but those things change. That's why you don't saddle yourself with a long term deal with lower revenues just when there is a bright generation coming in!

That isn't even sports, its business 101. You keep your freedom of action!

I think the root of a lot of this is that yes, the CSB deal was the best thing for CS at the time it was signed -when Qatar was just a twinkle in Johns eyes. But now, that is not the case. Thus, the agreement needs to be altered ever so slightly because If the players and CSA want to capitalize on this and exceed our projected growth to become the soccer nation we need to be, we need a new deal.

While the CSA higher ups are a problem and changes are needed, the biggest change in this situation has to be the CSB deal or arrangement of new funds to boost our capabilities.

6 minutes ago, RJB said:

Let’s just call a spade a spade. In addition to being a terrible commentator, Gareth Wheeler is a piece of shit.

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We still don't know what is in the players' proposal - there was an allusion to the player's initial proposal being 100% of the $10 million which would prevent the CSA from buying them the extra tickets they want (which apparently, was something that was not in the proposal but only stated in the player's letter to media/fans).

Who knows what else was being asked for inititally, but if its been revised since then for what was in their Dear Canada letter, since Bontis said that they have already addressed the women's issue complaint in their letter & will sort out the tickets, that leaves a financial dispute over how much the player's bonus will be.

I didn't believe anything that came out of Bontis' mouth the first time I heard him speak. And I believed even less after that PC.

27 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

He stating the obvious. The CSB is heavily subsidizing the CPL. 

If it’s subsidizing the CPL,  then where are CSB’s revenues coming from. 

I am scared of the answer to that question.  

cause if it’s the CSA,   Then we should be f@@@@@ livid and I would be with players 100 percent

Edited by Free kick

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute