The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

9 minutes ago, Vasi said:

When I look at the CSA i do not see selfless guys who give a shit about growing this game. If they did there would be: transparency, better kits, people would actually get the merchandise they buy, friendly game with wc counties and not ones that are considered shady by your public.

The CSA has been useless for a while. I give them 0 benefit of doubt. This is not an emotional take. Its one backed by track record.  

You would be describing every sporting body in Canada.

Even Hockey Canada didn't get its act together in international hockey until the mid-90s.

6 minutes ago, Vasi said:

When I look at the CSA i do not see selfless guys who give a shit about growing this game. If they did there would be: transparency, better kits, people would actually get the merchandise they buy, friendly game with wc counties and not ones that are considered shady by your public.

The CSA has been useless for a while. I give them 0 benefit of doubt. This is not an emotional take. Its one backed by track record.  

You mean the leadership class. The rest of the CSA are understaffed, most likely underpaid and surely overworked.

What ever happen to this talk off getting a voyageurs on the board?

It's like #Onterrible, we complain but aren't doing anything about it. Maybe a senior Voyageurs should apply to be on that board as well.

But yeah, outside of the Montagliani years, it's horrible at the top

4 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

so the CPL is the downfall of canadian soccer😁

I know you joke, tunnel vision is the issue here. I repeat myself from the CPL forum but there is ways to make it work. Halifax is an exemple, accepting a smaller market in exchange for lack of competition. Ottawa is another, being Athletico's eyes and ears in Canada so therefore able to loose at least some money. Then there is the good old find someone willing to make it a hobby...

Selling of your national teams' financial prospects is not one of them.

50 minutes ago, Big_M said:

BREAKING

A statement from the womens national team in which they demand equal pay and not equal percentages and in which they say that they will not accept an agreement that does not offer equal pay

This is likely the turning point

Men will now be forced to accept lower to ensure equal pay

Yeah, if you couch your demands as advocating for gender equity, then get called out by the women's team, that's not a good look.

For me, neither side come out of this looking great.

The CSA gets no sympathy from me at all given their track record over the last few decades, and their complete inability with how to deal with the exponential interest in the game in this country over the last year. Get rid of them all, especially that used car salesman Bontis.

The players get more sympathy from me than the CSA, but it's not a lot. Although after listening to the press conference it's still a hell of a lot more than the CSA will get. To pull the plug on this friendly when supporters spent significant sums of money isn't a great look; if they really cared about the supporters who got behind them they would have played the game. It's about money, plain and simple, something these particular players do not lack. I do think their demands are reasonable, but they pissed off a lot of people today with their decision to bail on the game.

What people may not realize is that CSB invested 9 figures into the men's professional game and national teams at a time when no one gave a shit. Without them, there is no CPL, there are no new sponsorships for the national team, and this window's games are being broadcast on a Youtube stream with a handheld camera, if there are even games at all. The deal's relevance on this World Cup run is minimal to nonexistant, but the relevance towards the long term sustainability of the professional game and national teams is critical. Albeit, they would have still had their deal with Umbro and I could have gotten a customized jersey for $100 which I miss. And I did learn about Benny's Benny's your #1 store that way...

I think the saddest thing about this situation is simply that most people just don't care, and the end result of today is that some people who just got into the sport are going to go back to not caring.

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

The CSA gets no sympathy from me at all given their track record over the last few decades, and their complete inability with how to deal with the exponential interest in the game in this country over the last year. Get rid of them all, especially that used car salesman Bontis.

The players get more sympathy from me than the CSA, but it's not a lot. Although after listening to the press conference it's still a hell of a lot more than the CSA will get. To pull the plug on this friendly when supporters spent significant sums of money isn't a great look; if they really cared about the supporters who got behind them they would have played the game. It's about money, plain and simple, something these particular players do not lack. I do think their demands are reasonable, but they pissed off a lot of people today with their decision to bail on the game.

What people may not realize is that CSB invested 9 figures into the men's professional game and national teams at a time when no one gave a shit. Without them, there is no CPL, there are no new sponsorships for the national team, and this window's games are being broadcast on a Youtube stream with a handheld camera, if there are even games at all. The deal's relevance on this World Cup run is minimal to nonexistant, but the relevance towards the long term sustainability of the professional game and national teams is critical. Albeit, they would have still had their deal with Umbro and I could have gotten a customized jersey for $100 which I miss. And I did learn about Benny's Benny's your #1 store that way...

I think the saddest thing about this situation is simply that most people just don't care, and the end result of today is that some people who just got into the sport are going to go back to not caring.

Also, 1st game cancelled was on the CSA but 2nd is on the players.

That's potentially extra money they could have paid the players that might have to be paid to Iran and Panama as compensation 

Both sides are looking bad.

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

Hold on to your butts! It’s gonna get even uglier. I bet we are gonna see now a battle between mens teams vs the women’s and the CSA are gonna use the women’s team as a weapon. Mark my words. 

Ah yes, the equal pay... ohhhhh Canada...

Just now, Ansem said:

Also, 1st game cancelled was on the CSA but 2nd is on the players.

That's potentially extra money they could have paid the players that might have to be paid to Iran and Panama as compensation 

Both sides are looking bad.

These 2 sides are butting heads but here we are in the middle. Those that planned on attending some kind of game are out $$$ and their expectations. For me I have put everything behind he CMNT team since 2008-ish, attending and watching every game. Now to be set back by some CSA shenanigans is just the most insane plot twist. After all the suffering.

I'd rather run back the 2 hours hearing Mad Dog color commentate the Belize vs Canada stream then spend this night over again.

12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well put all-round dude.

19 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You mean the leadership class. The rest of the CSA are understaffed, most likely underpaid and surely overworked.

What ever happen to this talk off getting a voyageurs on the board?

It's like #Onterrible, we complain but aren't doing anything about it. Maybe a senior Voyageurs should apply to be on that board as well.

But yeah, outside of the Montagliani years, it's horrible at the top

Good point. I really hope this brings some changes. We cant have these clowns running the CSA come the 26 WC.

I rather have corrupt ex players then corrupt bureaucrats running the csa. Lol at lest that would be the world standard. 😁

I think people are missing the point with the CSB-The whole thing with the CSB- yes they’ve made investments for sure. But what’s the numbers? And what’s in the fine print in the contract. What did the CSA sell its soul for ? Because what it looks like to me the CSB has ALOT of power and doesn’t have to answer to anybody. Why is the CSA scared to release the details and numbers or answer the questions. They are definitely hiding something. Why did Scott Mitchell attack Rollins so hard after that article? The EA games issue about the likeness, the jersey sales ? Something doesn’t smell right? 

^ buddy who played on my brother's team back in the day posted on facebook that he'd come across from Victoria with his kid, only to have to tell him the game was cancelled, and get back on the ferry. If I was that dude, and then read some letter from the players with the words "where's the money?" in it, I'd be pretty done with all of this.

“This is FIFA, this is soccer, this is Victor,” said one source deeply familiar with Canada Soccer. “It goes way back.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/opinion/2022/06/05/canada-soccer-and-its-players-were-supposed-to-be-preparing-for-the-world-cup-they-werent-prepared-for-this.html

Thanks @narduch for posting this in another thread

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I think people are missing the point with the CSB-The whole thing with the CSB- yes they’ve made investments for sure. But what’s the numbers? And what’s in the fine print in the contract. What did the CSA sell its soul for ? Because what it looks like to me the CSB has ALOT of power and doesn’t have to answer to anybody. Why is the CSA scared to release the details and numbers or answer the questions. They are definitely hiding something. Why did Scott Mitchell attack Rollins so hard after that article? The EA games issue about the likeness, the jersey sales ? Something doesn’t smell right? 

Agreed.  And I would add one more:   when onesoccer (CSB) sold their exclusive rights to Rogers, how much was that deal worth? and did any of that money go to the CSA?  If not why?

Edited by Free kick

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute