The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

1 minute ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

I think the root of a lot of this is that yes, the CSB deal was the best thing for CS at the time it was signed -when Qatar was just a twinkle in Johns eyes. But now, that is not the case. Thus, the agreement needs to be altered ever so slightly because If the players and CSA want to capitalize on this and exceed our projected growth to become the soccer nation we need to be, we need a new deal.

While the CSA higher ups are a problem and changes are needed, the biggest change in this situation has to be the CSB deal or arrangement of new funds to boost our capabilities.

What's the alternative contract? Have sportsmen and TSN stepped up and asked for rights? 

We're assuming we won't have to qualify again until 2028. If they signed a ten year deal, that's actually just two qualifying cycles. This seems like mythical money as of now. 

1 minute ago, Califax said:

What's the alternative contract? Have sportsmen and TSN stepped up and asked for rights? 

We're assuming we won't have to qualify again until 2028. If they signed a ten year deal, that's actually just two qualifying cycles. This seems like mythical money as of now. 

They probably did, then realized that they would have to give CanPL more prominence on its networks.

12 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

We still don't know what is in the players' proposal - there was an allusion to the player's initial proposal being 100% of the $10 million which would prevent the CSA from buying them the extra tickets they want (which apparently, was something that was not in the proposal but only stated in the player's letter to media/fans).

Who knows what else was being asked for inititally, but if its been revised since then for what was in their Dear Canada letter, since Bontis said that they have already addressed the women's issue complaint in their letter & will sort out the tickets, that leaves a financial dispute over how much the player's bonus will be.

It’s shady as hell, and needs to be investigated. Never a dull moment in Canadian soccer 🤑

What I genuinely don't understand is that why if the CPL is that crucial (which the last year has kinda demonstrated it isn't even if it is obivously still worth doing) and the logic behind running the distance with them so solid then why hasn't something like this being done instead:

''To help them make the distance we've commited give them X$ each year for ten years!'' 

IMO it make way more sense, unless you actively think our national teams are gonna get worse in the meantime and there is no reason to believe so, as it doesn't tie you if your revenues go up and it is way more transparent.

Edited by phil03

7 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

I think the root of a lot of this is that yes, the CSB deal was the best thing for CS at the time it was signed -when Qatar was just a twinkle in Johns eyes. But now, that is not the case. Thus, the agreement needs to be altered ever so slightly because If the players and CSA want to capitalize on this and exceed our projected growth to become the soccer nation we need to be, we need a new deal

Except this isn't how contracts work. They took a risk and it paid off. They do deserve some reward for that, especially considering how much other media organizations have disrespected our national teams for many, many years. 

I would like to know what the deal is. I want transparency. CSB's statement seems open to that and eyes are obviously on this now. 

I just really don't like the prospect of this becoming national team players vs the domestic league we've been wanting for decades. 

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

Five years ago people weren't asking questions, fair. But there's not a statute of limitations on questions, and so they're asking them now. Rather than deflect and criticize the timing, they should answer the questions.  

That's for the CSA to disclose what they are doing with their share of the CSB deal and in all honesty, that's a valid question.

As a private company, CSB is under no obligation to disclose and there's no bias here, that's the nature of private businesses.

I cannot believe what I saw and heard during that press conference.

that was completely the wrong tone to take and message to send to ensure that this gets resolved asap. if Bontis has a boss, that person needs to tell him to step aside. I don't see how Bontis can play in part in getting this resolved after that performance.

34 minutes ago, Diego said:

I just really don't like the prospect of this becoming national team players vs the domestic league we've been wanting for decades. 

I hear you, and I don't think anyone want this to happen but IMO sadly this is already what it is. 

Mind you, I do think the CPL could have and can work without such an influx of outside of cash. Halifax seem well on their way to become a pretty profitable team with their solid attendance and Athletico Ottawa is probably fine loosing at least some cash since Athletico Madrid think of it as their eyes and ears in Canada. That's a quarter of the league right there!

If they had been a bit smarter, found investors in areas where the CPL would be THE sports team in town during the Summer and used the fact that it was know Canada was bound for a rise even before last year more clubs could have been built on those models (and the league could have started when the Pandemic wasn't on, which would have been a nice bonus but obviously the CSA couldn't know that) but they pulled the trigger and went with that deal :(

Edited by phil03

5 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Maybe I am wrong. But I think the players are pissed not because of CSB but how much power they have, how secret they are and how this deal locks them in with no adjustment or input. Especially now when real money is coming in. 

This is puzzling and I hate doing this because I sound like I'm against the players, this is old news... what were their agents/representatives doing all this time?

If they think the CSB deal will get reopen, that's just not happening.

The CSA better find creative ways to increase revenues because I think they mishandled the situation with the players completely. The attitude (you can tell Bontis snubbed them), not explaining the business side of soccer is on them, clearly, the players weren't informed of much of CSA doing.

At the same time, is it the norm for players from other federations to have a say in how they conduct business? (Thats also a legitimate question)

Edited by Ansem

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

This is puzzling and I hate doing this because I sound like I'm against the players, this is old news... what were their agents/representatives doing all this time?

If they think the CSB deal will get reopen, that's just not happening.

The CSA better find creative ways to increase revenues because I think they mishandled the situation with the players completely. The attitude (you can tell Bontis snubbed them), not explaining the business side of soccer is on them, clearly, the players weren't informed of much of CSA doing.

At the same time, is it the norm for players from other federations to have a say in how they conduct business? (Thats also a legitimate question)

I think you've nailed it - the problem here is both the players and administration acting in a very inadvisable manner. I can't believe the players are striking, in advance of the World Cup, over this. 

See that’s where I am pissed off and thinking what’s the point of the CSA right now. Because really the CSB is controlling everything and money. Nicky yes there’s a revenue ok like what ??? Government grants, fees ? And how much of money is going back and forth to the CSB? The CSA really has no power right now. The CSB does

2 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I think you've nailed it - the problem here is both the players and administration acting in a very inadvisable manner. I can't believe the players are striking, in advance of the World Cup, over this. 

I think the problems are more serious.  And the way Nick was in the press. He doesn’t give two shits about the players and their needs. I think he has pissed them off and the CSA is not really negotiating because they can’t. I believe their hands are tied up so bad- no safe word can fix it.

Edited by SpecialK

13 minutes ago, Diego said:

Except this isn't how contracts work. They took a risk and it paid off. They do deserve some reward for that, especially considering how much other media organizations have disrespected our national teams for many, many years.

1000%

They rolled the dice. They won big. They deserve to benefit.

What's interesting in all this is that people who are against the players seem to be missing how much they've accomplished with this.

People.are asking questions about CSB, (I had never heard of them at all thanks to very little reporting), people are grilling the CSA, and the media is going to start poking holes (expectedly) in the operations at the CSA.

Seeing Bontis be so adversarial in the presser and to hear some of the things being said will only draw the attention further on this .

Rick Westhead is on it now which doesn't bode well for whichever side is in the wrong. Plus I'm sure there will beany others that will pick up the story 

Mission accomplished by the players. 

(Side note, Bontis said they weren't in same city until yesterday... Why not!!??)

22 minutes ago, canucksfan said:

Westhead is one of the best and most respected sports journalists in this country.

It is a low bar, as there really aren’t many. He tends to pick an angle and run with his preferred narrative and doesn’t seem interested in developing a more nuanced understanding. He strikes me as more of an access journalist to be honest. People tell him things because they know he will be useful to them. To his credit, he is persistent. 

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

What's interesting in all this is that people who are against the players seem to be missing how much they've accomplished with this.

I'm not against the players taking action, I'm against the players cancelling a game 2 hours before kickoff costing fans hundreds of dollars on travel expenses. They would have achieved the same if they had pulled the plug on Thursday or Friday.

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute