The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

1 hour ago, red card said:

Player fee increased by $4 to $13. It seems $3 will go to general funds, 50 cents for national youth teams and 50 cents to P8.

It would generate an extra $2.2m given players registered at the end of 2023 was 739.6k. 370k each for youth teams and P8. Last year, player fees accounted for 20% of revenue.

New director Gayle Statton served as president of B.C. Soccer since November 2020. Terri Mattuci is senior director of strategy and growth marketing for MLSE.

Nothing to CPL or League 1?

47 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Nothing to CPL or League 1?

They have been doing it for the CPL.

350k/yr from CSA's pocket (or just returning some money to CSB) which is in line with P8's proposed funding.

Another 650k/yr via FIFA's Forward program that has been largely used to fund referee training, pay, travel and lodgings/per diems.

CanPL already has the CSB deal to subsidize their operations which is a big part of the reason why a player registration fee increase was necessary at this point in the absence of a renegotiation. Don't think an increase of that size will solve all the CSA's fiscal issues. Interesting that Ontario's representative is from MLSE. Suggests having Project 8 on board now shifts the balance of power on votes as does the overall level of turnover on officeholders and board members.

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The CSB deal could be a positive or a negative depending on the year though, right?

If we are in an environment where Canadian Soccer is in such a bad shape that it makes the CSB deal a negative (again?) for CPL owners then the odds of the CPL surviving in the long run are pretty low anyway.

43 minutes ago, phil03 said:

If we are in an environment where Canadian Soccer is in such a bad shape that it makes the CSB deal a negative (again?) for CPL owners then the odds of the CPL surviving in the long run are pretty low anyway.

Why? Its not hard to picture a scenario where the CPL has sponsorship money, even if the national teams don't. If we hadn't qualified for Copa America, how much would we even have played this year?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Why? Its not hard to picture a scenario where the CPL has sponsorship money, even if the national teams don't. If we hadn't qualified for Copa America, how much would we even have played this year?

I imagine we would have put friendlies in place but honestly, IMO that is besides the larger point.

The national teams are the one thing everyone invested in Canada cares and has been caring about to some level. Granted, the women still often didn't get much attention aniway and for the guys it often manifested in mere daydreams about how awesome it would be if our national team could go to the World Cup and be good but the former was down on women's sports in general not getting the attention they deserve in the past (and to a lesser degree still today) and the former changed pretty quickly as soon as people got the sense that yes, this might finally be the moment when the CMNT was making something of itself! As soon as that realisation dawned on people the CMNT's mainstreamisation happened at pretty stunning pace all things considered...

The concept of a fully domestic Canadian league, by comparison, just simply does not resonate with Canada soccer fans in the same way. Most of the people who were daydreaming about the CMNT finally making it to the world cup and who would have been overjoyed to hear that it was finally going to happen if someone had told a few years prior would gone ''huh, I guess that will be neat...'' if they had been told about the CPL also coming to be.

In fact, in my experience and from what I have heard from many people, the best way to convince more Canadian soccer fans to give the league a chance is to point its benefit to the CMNT in term of player developments and the limits of relying on only the three MLS clubs. The people like sportsflu, who genuinely prioritize the CPL over the national team, are vanishingly rare and riding on the CMNT's coat-tails is the biggest path to success for the league.

Maybe that will change in the long term future but in the timeline of the CSB deal? Not buying it, if things go that bad for the national teams the negative impact on interest in Canadian soccer as a whole will most likely kill the CPL.

Make no mistake here: the first year or two notwitstanding and just like the similar deal the MLS benefit from, the CSB deal was a means for national teams' money to prop the domestic league, not the other way around. I think that it was the right move (altough I have beef with a lot of the specific terms), but frankly, CPL's personnel and fans trying to diminish or deny the financial sacrifices asking of others to help built them up isn't helping  here... More humility and gratitude for said sacrifices would be far more conducive in convincing people's to give the league a shot.

Edited by phil03

1 hour ago, phil03 said:

I imagine we would have put friendlies in place but honestly, IMO that is besides the larger point.

The national teams are the one thing everyone invested in Canada cares and has been caring about to some level. Granted, the women still often didn't get much attention aniway and for the guys it often manifested in mere daydreams about how awesome it would be if our national team could go to the World Cup and be good but the former was down on women's sports in general not getting the attention they deserve in the past (and to a lesser degree still today) and the former changed pretty quickly as soon as people got the sense that yes, this might finally be the moment when the CMNT was making something of itself! As soon as that realisation dawned on people the CMNT's mainstreamisation happened at pretty stunning pace all things considered...

The concept of a fully domestic Canadian league, by comparison, just simply does not resonate with Canada soccer fans in the same way. Most of the people who were daydreaming about the CMNT finally making it to the world cup and who would have been overjoyed to hear that it was finally going to happen if someone had told a few years prior would gone ''huh, I guess that will be neat...'' if they had been told about the CPL also coming to be.

In fact, in my experience and from what I have heard from many people, the best way to convince more Canadian soccer fans to give the league a chance is to point its benefit to the CMNT in term of player developments and the limits of relying on only the three MLS clubs. The people like sportsflu, who genuinely prioritize the CPL over the national team, are vanishingly rare and riding on the CMNT's coat-tails is the biggest path to success for the league.

Maybe that will change in the long term future but in the timeline of the CSB deal? Not buying it, if things go that bad for the national teams the negative impact on interest in Canadian soccer as a whole will most likely kill the CPL.

Make no mistake here: the first year or two notwitstanding and just like the similar deal the MLS benefit from, the CSB deal was a means for national teams' money to prop the domestic league, not the other way around. I think that it was the right move (altough I have beef with a lot of the specific terms), but frankly, CPL's personnel and fans trying to diminish or deny the financial sacrifices asking of others to help built them up isn't helping  here... More humility and gratitude for said sacrifices would be far more conducive in convincing people's to give the league a shot.

That's certainly one perspective 

Posted (edited)

NGL at this point I am just happy these things get settled. President of the biggest provincial sub-federation take over as head of the federation? I'll admit I know nada about the man but sure, at face value that sounds logical enough. 

Any step to normalcy are welcome to me.

Edited by phil03

Yeah, it's impossible to have an opinion. There was no campaigning. We have no idea who was running and what they think the issues are, let alone their proposed solutions to said issues.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yeah, it's impossible to have an opinion. There was no campaigning. We have no idea who was running and what they think the issues are, let alone their proposed solutions to said issues.

Can I have the opinions that we should have more insight as fans, and that this is the wrong thread for this conversation 

The reason that Peter Augruso appears to be such an unknown factor for a GTA-based podcast and unusually given what has happened in recent times neither national team roster had much to say in a campaigning sense either positive or negative may be because he is from Thunder Bay:

https://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/1182436

...Peter Augruso of Thunder Bay was re-elected to the Ontario Soccer Board of Directors as President and will now serve his second term...

So very few people who weren't on the OSA board prior to this are likely to have ever had much in the way of direct dealings with him in soccer terms. Looks like he may be a compromise candidate nobody had any major issues with who emerged once it became clear that Chairmaine Crooks didn't have the backing to be reelected or didn't want the role any more. 

Someone that does't have too much baggage because he was from a remote corner of the country and stayed there until recently might actually be for the best...

As he wasn't involved in any past shenanigans he will hopefully get the benefit of the doubt from most actors in our Soccer and have the credibility to go ''Ok, I know everyone has thought about what has happened in the recent and not so rescent past but we have to deal with the situation as it currently exist so how about we all sit down and figure out the best way forward?''

I suspect unfortunately that this is likely slowly up the NT hire. Blue and the rest of the hiring team would likely need to get Augruso onboard with any one they select plus the finances related thereto. 

On 5/5/2024 at 2:19 PM, phil03 said:

Good perspective.  I do agree the league will benefit from the NT's success.  I would hope if the NT's slip back that it won't have an impact on the CPL drawing fans.  The key is getting local youth clubs involved.  

Went to the Ottawa game last week.  Decent crowd for mid week in crappier weather.  Really only saw one local club represented in the crowd.  

13 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Good perspective.  I do agree the league will benefit from the NT's success.  I would hope if the NT's slip back that it won't have an impact on the CPL drawing fans.  The key is getting local youth clubs involved.  

Went to the Ottawa game last week.  Decent crowd for mid week in crappier weather.  Really only saw one local club represented in the crowd.  

Agreed, although I'd also say there is issues specific to Ottawa that are at play too (and ATO deserve all the credit in the world to progress as they do in spite of them) but that's starting to get a bit out of thread's subject...

So.

What about the pay dispute, and it's importance?  I see nothing reported recently.  Is it no longer important?  Did the players somehow get "paid"? For "something"?  And who exactly are the "players" at this point looking to get paid?  

Is there any pay anything in place for MNT players right now?  For any games they play?