The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

"Canada Soccer is believed to be poised to receive more than $10 million from FIFA, sources familiar with the matter said.

Canada Soccer has proposed that men’s national team players would receive about 10 per cent of that $10 million payment, with the balance going to fund items including the organization’s administration costs, a proposed national training centre in Vaughn, Ont., and grassroots soccer initiatives, the sources said, adding that the men’s national team players have asked for about 40 per cent of the World Cup bonus to be split between 33 players."

What is typical around the World? Obviously in Trinidad & Tobago Jack Warner got it all, but there must be some precedents.

Just now, Rivaldo said:

"Canada Soccer is believed to be poised to receive more than $10 million from FIFA, sources familiar with the matter said.

Canada Soccer has proposed that men’s national team players would receive about 10 per cent of that $10 million payment, with the balance going to fund items including the organization’s administration costs, a proposed national training centre in Vaughn, Ont., and grassroots soccer initiatives, the sources said, adding that the men’s national team players have asked for about 40 per cent of the World Cup bonus to be split between 33 players."

What is typical around the World? Obviously in Trinidad & Tobago Jack Warner got it all, but there must be some precedents.

I wonder if a conversation was had post Iran game where the CSA told the players "we can't pay you as much as we were going to because we're going to get sued here and can't make back our profit anytime soon."? 

4 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

I wonder if a conversation was had post Iran game where the CSA told the players "we can't pay you as much as we were going to because we're going to get sued here and can't make back our profit anytime soon."? 

It's possible that happened and pissed off some, but that would be peanuts compared to the World Cup money.

Edited by Rivaldo

7 minutes ago, Rivaldo said:

The CSA also knows that if they pay 40% then the women will make a claim for the equivalent $ figure just as the US women did.  Put the two together and poof, nearly all of the money is gone.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

1 minute ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The CSA also knows that if they pay 40% then the women will make a claim for the equivalent $ figure just as the US women did.  Put the two together and poof, nearly all of the money is gone.

Different sums no?

What did the woman get for qualifying for the WWC?

I don’t think the men and women’s situation is comparable in the likes of the Americans…but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Different sums no?

What did the woman get for qualifying for the WWC?

I don’t think the men and women’s situation is comparable in the likes of the Americans…but I could be wrong.

FIFA pays 10X more to men's teams at the World Cup but in the US soccer dispute, the women's players argued that context shouldn't matter and the USSF should bankroll that disparity from their own coffers.  The CSA will face the same threat and the context of FIFA's payout disparity will not be considered in the court of public opinion.  

I seem to remember this happening quite a few times with the qualified African Countries over the years. Hard to know what side to take without knowing a lot more of the details. As mentioned, curious what the rest of the world does. As much as I hate to disagree with the players, the beef we've heard for years is that the CSA is broke. We all thought a WCQ windfall will help alleviate some of those issues. As usual Money ruins everything, but if 40% is the norm then it's only fair.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Nick Bontis' appearance on the Northern Futbol podcast have not aged well. Coupled with all the stories about him in previous years, this man is probably not the right man to lead the CSA.

What are those stories? I agree about the interview not aging well…

How can you expect to be a world class team when you’re run like an amateur club… we need MASSIVE CHANGES from the top down. This is unacceptable. I think we as Voyageurs also have to take a stand one way or another because these kinds of issue can’t keep happen. It’s embarrassing and sad that the people we trust to represent us and take us to the next level continue to make such questionable decisions. 

i will try and enjoy todays CanChamp Final but this is not a good day for Canadian soccer

• Shway changed the title to The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute