Lukas MacNaughton

PiedPilko

CB for Pacific, and generally thought to be one of the best in CPL. Transfermarkt confirmed TFC interest a week ago:

Born in the U.S, raised in Belgium and went to university in Toronto. He has Canadian citizenship, but he's technically also eligible for the U.S, Austria and Belgium.  His defensive numbers have always been good, but he had a reputation for taking a lot of unnecessary fouls. This season, he really went above and beyond, and in my mind, he looks the most ready out of any CPL player to make the MLS jump. He is 26, but that's okay. I kinda hate the idea that every CPL link has to be a youngster. He's very solid, and he seems like he could be solid at a higher level.

Edited by PiedPilko

He's come leaps and bounds since year 1. I've been very impressed with his development, but I'm still surprised with how much the narrative on him has changed in the past year. He was excellent this season and I hope he gets an opportunity with Toronto, but I don't actually think he's all that far ahead of other Pacific/CPL defenders. I'll gladly be proven wrong though. It seems many rate him highly

I agree with Aird for the most part.  Lukas is big and strong, but there are bigger and stronger.  He isn't slow, but there are definitely faster.  His strength has been aerial timing and decision-making -- when to challenge, and when not to, when to step up with the ball and when not to -- and also that he has pressing midfielders in front of him making those choices easier.  None of this is to take away from his performance this year.  He has been great.  But if he didn't have a CB coach, or a good system and good teammates around him buying into the system, I don't think he looks as dominant.

TFC had Julian Dunn a player they signed from their academy. Only 21 years of age but yet they let him go, and now are trialing a 26 year old Center back with no MLS experience who’s only pro experience was in the CPL. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice to see players who showed promise in the CPL given a chance in the MLS, it’s just puzzling that they had a 21 year old already on the team and a player they were developing but yet they let him go . However, saying all that I can’t remember if maybe it was Dunn who turned down a TFC contract to try his luck in Europe.

200min in 4 years says a lot about how much TFC saw in him.  Prob better for both parties, and if they like Mcnaughton (more mature and mls ready even if he is 26)  better, lets hope he gets some first team minutes to show if he can handle the challange.  And Dunn can still get a shot at HamKam.  With all the people leaving Pacific, I hope they at least get decent amount of cash out of TFC.  I hear they have money to burn, HEHEHEHE.  

6 hours ago, SoccMan said:

TFC had Julian Dunn a player they signed from their academy. Only 21 years of age but yet they let him go, and now are trialing a 26 year old Center back with no MLS experience who’s only pro experience was in the CPL. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice to see players who showed promise in the CPL given a chance in the MLS, it’s just puzzling that they had a 21 year old already on the team and a player they were developing but yet they let him go . However, saying all that I can’t remember if maybe it was Dunn who turned down a TFC contract to try his luck in Europe.

Pretty sure Dunn wanted out, and took the opportunity when presented. Same thing I’m assuming with Fraser.

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Pretty sure Dunn wanted out, and took the opportunity when presented. Same thing I’m assuming with Fraser.

Can't blame them. And to be honest I don't know if TFC could have done any better, sometimes the required level just isn't there yet. Doesn't mean it won't come, sometimes the road is just a bit longer to get there.