Lukas MacNaughton

PiedPilko

"

“I’m ambitious, and I think if you work hard enough anything is possible. I want to be the best defender in MLS, I want to play for Canada, I want to go to the World Cup with Canada. Those are all goals that I have and I’ll put in the work to try to achieve them.”

The defender has been quite open about his ambitions with the Canadian national team, where he’s closely followed the trajectory of Alistair Johnston. Like MacNaughton, he was a League1 Ontario standout before getting his MLS opportunity and – once there – quickly put himself on Herdman’s radar.

MacNaughton is also eligible for the US, Austria, and Belgium, and while he’s not saying a flat no to those, it’s Les Rouges who have his attention. Their recent rise following years of being underestimated draw a parallel that hits quite close to home for the centre-back.

“They’re underdogs in the way that they don’t have that respect, and I feel like I’ve had the situation my whole career. To be able to play for a team where now they’ve grinded their way through, fought for everything, and are proving themselves – I want to be part of that.”

https://northerntribune.ca/toronto-fc-lukas-macnaughton-interview/

2 hours ago, rydermike said:

"

“I’m ambitious, and I think if you work hard enough anything is possible. I want to be the best defender in MLS, I want to play for Canada, I want to go to the World Cup with Canada. Those are all goals that I have and I’ll put in the work to try to achieve them.”

The defender has been quite open about his ambitions with the Canadian national team, where he’s closely followed the trajectory of Alistair Johnston. Like MacNaughton, he was a League1 Ontario standout before getting his MLS opportunity and – once there – quickly put himself on Herdman’s radar.

MacNaughton is also eligible for the US, Austria, and Belgium, and while he’s not saying a flat no to those, it’s Les Rouges who have his attention. Their recent rise following years of being underestimated draw a parallel that hits quite close to home for the centre-back.

“They’re underdogs in the way that they don’t have that respect, and I feel like I’ve had the situation my whole career. To be able to play for a team where now they’ve grinded their way through, fought for everything, and are proving themselves – I want to be part of that.”

https://northerntribune.ca/toronto-fc-lukas-macnaughton-interview/

I like the way he rolls, certainly has the right attitude. Will be cheering for him to get lots of minutes at TFC this year.

10 is a bit steep, in time. 1 or 2 is a good sign. Our MLS clubs have academies too. 

It is happening. That is the good part. 

Never been more excited at the amount of Canadian talent, not just at 1 but all 3 MLS clubs. There is a real depth pool and lots of youngsters coming through at each club. Now slowly they are going to other MLS clubs or Europe. Long may it continue to grow!

1 hour ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

We need this more often.  Making sure players keep pushing themselves.  If you're good enough, the cream will rise to the top.  Lukas making it to TFC is a "stamp of approval" on the process.  But we need at least 10 CPL players each year doing this.

When too many of the best guys leave everyone whines about player turnover, HEHE. If the CPL can get to a point where there is a nice steady flow of players out to bigger leagues everyone will be happy.  Say McNaughton, Awuah make MLS squads this year, Farsi, Ongaro, Coupland et al find some success elsewhere and the loanees (Yao, SIrois, Rea, Campagna) can show the loan was good for their development thats a damn good start.  If this happens every season, more young guns with a future will come to the CPL if they see there is playing time to be had and a pathway onwards.  

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Thoughts on Kadin over JMR too?

That is going to happen, JMR is getting for a mega sale, the Reds want him playing. That is not too take away anything on Kadin. He looked too. JMR is a special player ready to take the world by storm. 

36 minutes ago, Cblake said:

That is going to happen, JMR is getting for a mega sale, the Reds want him playing. That is not too take away anything on Kadin. He looked too. JMR is a special player ready to take the world by storm. 

I can't wait to see the player Toronto fans see 

26 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t think he was that bad

It was clear Rutty, Nelson and Shaffelburg were having trouble figuring out how to deal with fast transitions. There was confusion between the wb's and cb's on several of the goals, and Nelson just didn't come back to cover on at least one. Not sure MacNaughton solves that problem, but he looked composed out there. I suspect Chung would be better in the short term than Rutty or Shaffelburg given his experience at the position.

Edited by Cicero

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

The kid in all likelihood gets sold to Europe for Davies/Pepi money, but his playing style is not conducive to taking the world by storm. It's more conducive to becoming a role player at a big club.

Hard to judge MacNaughton based off of 16 minutes. Based on pre-season and the limited viewing vs NYRB, I think he tops out as a depth piece you never want to be forced to start, which is fine. Problem is that Salcedo, Mavinga, and O'Neill have all looked rough for the most part -- a symptom of the ludicrously expansive style Bob wants to play.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The kid in all likelihood gets sold to Europe for Davies/Pepi money, but his playing style is not conducive to taking the world by storm. It's more conducive to becoming a role player at a big club.

To be honest I do not even compare Phonzie and Pepi. I am still surprised by where the 20 million for Pepi came from, a relegation battle club in Augsburg.  One one of the clubs could have upped the ante on him? That is where I think it will be interesting is how big the club is here JMR goes to. Will be choose the best club for his growth and progression as a player or simply chase the cash? 

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don’t think he can’t be a starter at a big euro club, but I don’t see it as a RB. 

Davies was a monster at 17, Rutty will Be that but at 21/22, he’s still so slight, but you can see his IQ gifts and his technical ones. 

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Don’t think he can’t be a starter at a big euro club, but I don’t see it as a RB. 

Davies was a monster at 17, Rutty will Be that but at 21/22, he’s still so slight, but you can see his IQ gifts and his technical ones. 

Yeah. For me he has the attributes and intelligence to make it in a position yet to be determined. As long as he is coachable, humble and hardworking he's ultimately going to play at a top level. I don't ever see him taking the world by storm though. You need a sort of individual brilliance for that. I see a kid who can eventually (it's going to take time) be a supporting player at a very high level. Hopefully I am communicating that well.

Either way go Rutty!