Lukas MacNaughton

PiedPilko

2 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

He was very good today in my opinion - did not put a foot in wrong - some great distribution  playing the full 97 mins 

Love to see a CanPL player thrive at a higher level - potential to be called up to the National team if he keeps this up 

I'm actually surprised he's look so good so far, but I love to see it. I do think there isn't really a gap between the average domestic player in the CPL and MLS, it's just that MLS has way more good international players that can carry teams.

You have to think he's already an example of a player who had their career saved by the CPL, maybe Waterman too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How long until McNaughton gets into the CMNT CB conversation??  He hasnt been in MLS long but he has shown he has the quality and at his age, it had better be soon eh??  

Surely he's been part of conversations already. I don't think he cracks the squad until after Qatar and Vitoria fades out of the picture.

He also looked strong shutting down Quioto when they played CFM two weeks ago.  Quioto is by no means "easy" to handle.  He isn't the most skillful, but if he doesn't get by you with his skill, he'll usually succeed with his cunning, toughness and perseverance.  Lucas seemed to absorb it all. I was impressed and wondered if he always played like that.

Both he and Waterman have had great seasons, although the latter has played around 600 minutes more so far.

Both have to be on the periphery with Cornelius. We are an injury or two away from needing them which is why I think it's surprising we didn't see them in the nation's league. Maybe in the fall friendlies but it's clear herdman wants to be as consistent as possible.

12 minutes ago, P-O said:

Can we wait after the World Cup to integrate the next group.

We have no qualifiers for 4 years, friendlies and GC.

It depends whether we want our strongest squad at the world cup, or not.

12 minutes ago, P-O said:

Can we wait after the World Cup to integrate the next group.

We have no qualifiers for 4 years, friendlies and GC.

We are one or two  injury/retirement away from bringing one of these guys into the WC.  When have we had a full compliment of players for any tournie???  Better to have someone ready than riding those same guys until they are done.  

Qatar may be different as the pre tournament friendlies will be held during the European soccer season.  However, many qualified teams to the World Cup historically call anywhere from 35 to 40 players for training and may make cuts before bringing about 30 to 35 players for the friendlies before making a final roster decision.  Obviously 40 players is overkill and nor do we have the funding to support this.  However, I do hope that we bring at least 30 players for the friendlies, even if it's just for training.  

I'm not sure this is the time to fly in MLSer's overseas like MacNaughton unless they are projected to make the final 26 or close to the final 26 (I'd probably bring in Waterman over MacNaughton at this point anyways).  I see no reason why not to include players in Europe such as Corbeanu, Koleosho, Halbouni, Abzi, Smith, Colyn, Ennin, Amanda, Bair, Loturi, Dunn-Johnson, James etc.  And I don't mean all of them (although, I'd love to see them all at camp).  But if some of those players are featuring somewhat regularly for their respective first teams, I'd love to see them involved in the pre-tournament camp.  At least give them some exposure to the program and give them all an opportunity to make a case why they should be one of those last couple spots on the 26 man roster.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

We are one or two  injury/retirement away from bringing one of these guys into the WC.  When have we had a full compliment of players for any tournie???  Better to have someone ready than riding those same guys until they are done.  

Injuries, sure, but who's retiring 5 or fewer months before the World Cup??

I've only watched highlights of TFC this year, but there have been numerous occasions where defending has been laughable, and McNaughton has been a key part of that.  Is it because he scored that he is now on the cusp of the WC squad in some people's mind? Or has he really demonstrated he is a better CB than everyone else around him on TFC and by extension others in the CMNT pool? Is he better than any of Vitoria, Miller, Johnston, Kennedy, Henry, Cornelius, James, Waterman, Smith, etc.?  I haven't watched him, I don't know.

45 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Mcnaughton is serviceable at MLS level. Highly doubt he sees the CMNT unless there are a few retirements or injuries.  Same for Waterman.

Is that "remainder of this year" stuff or simply in general? 

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Mcnaughton is serviceable at MLS level. Highly doubt he sees the CMNT unless there are a few retirements or injuries.  Same for Waterman.

True, but I hope you all now realize that despite CBs is not our sector with the greatest talents, it’s the one with the most depth.

(And maybe goalies. 3 good goalies is usually enough).

Edited by MauditYvon

1 hour ago, MauditYvon said:

True, but I hope you all now realize that despite CBs is not our sector with the greatest talents, it’s the one with the most depth.

(And maybe goalies. 3 good goalies is usually enough).

Hmmm, not sure, if anything its close. 

We normally play with 3 CB's, so we go through the list pretty quick.  We're weakest as CB, but have weak depth as well.

We've got loads of wingers and quite a bit of quality as well.

I can't imagine we play with 2 strikers at the WC, so we're 4-5 deep there as well.

Our midfield is scary thin.