WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

Enjoyed the article, but I also take issue with this idea of Davies "dragging" the team over the line. He was remarkable last night, and he will be remarkable again. But you don't get anywhere in this game with just one superstar.  You need a full cast, and you need some bonafide ballers in the mix.  Sure, Kelly just wants to encourage Canadians to jump on the bandwagon, if only to watch a world class footballer do his thing for Canada. I get it.  It isn't sexy to say this was--and always will be--a team victory.  Vittoria and Johnston and Eustaquio have been our steadiest, most consistent players this round of qualifying. Davies has been excellent, and maybe I am being a bit too critical not including him in that list, but what I really want is for new fans to start giving a damn about this remarkable young team.  The team, damnit. This team is the thing, and it is only getting better.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:52 AM, nolando said:

El Salvador in 1997 at Swangard, right? My first Canada match. I was hooked from the start. 

Incidentally my nephew went to his first ever CMNT match tonight. We may have made another Voyageur tonight.

Different one:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3142153

but I also remember the one you are talking about.

8 hours ago, grigorio said:

Cavallini nearly concussed Phonzie with a headbutt after one of his goals in one of those earlier games this cycle.

What is it with Davies teammates trying to inure the dude after he scores? It’s going to give me ptsd. 

I still remember Kai Kamara dragging him to the ground after he scored in Vancouver. Looked like he was going to blow a knee out.

Karate kick to the face to whoever tries it next.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Different one:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3142153

but I also remember the one you are talking about.

Amazing! And just before my (adult) supporting began. Forrest got a red card, too, I see. That's  a hell of a line up, though ( with  very mediocre coach, I'm afraid)...otherwise it looks like a CSA Hall of Fame list or something. Thanks for the history lesson!Screenshot_20211015-061520_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f6a12902e6f8aec13526505590dbd976.jpg

Edited by nolando

12 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Enjoyed the article, but I also take issue with this idea of Davies "dragging" the team over the line. He was remarkable last night, and he will be remarkable again. But you don't get anywhere in this game with just one superstar.  You need a full cast, and you need some bonafide ballers in the mix.  Sure, Kelly just wants to encourage Canadians to jump on the bandwagon, if only to watch a world class footballer do his thing for Canada. I get it.  It isn't sexy to say this was--and always will be--a team victory.  Vittoria and Johnston and Eustaquio have been our steadiest, most consistent players this round of qualifying. Davies has been excellent, and maybe I am being a bit too critical not including him in that list, but what I really want is for new fans to start giving a damn about this remarkable young team.  The team, damnit. This team is the thing, and it is only getting better.

You kind of if beat me to this point.    Because i was just going to post and vent on this specific topic.   

i was listening (podcast) and reading some of the commentary yesterday from some of the cnd sources that are more on “Generalist” side.    For example, the drive home shows on the radio to name one and other articles.  At first, i was thinking that: “Hey, this is all good stuff”, and what they were saying about Davies is not incorrect and he deserves the praise.  But then it started to get annoying because (as they went on) they were giving the impression that this team is “ a one-man show”.   As if TB doesnt exist, as if Johnston rest of the backline and d-mids had nothing to do with the fact that Canada has only conceded 4 goals in six games, etc etc.   

Herdman was on one of the shows (Ben Ennis and Stephen Brundt) that i was listening to and i got a sense from his answers to two of the questions, that he too is clueing in on this and is concerned.  In the fifteen minutes prior to him comming on, they only talked about Davies and what he means to the team and soccer in Canada but Herdman went out if his was to mention the name of TB and Laryea (local guys) in one of his answers and then he made a point of reinterating the success at the GC and the fact that the team was just as good at the GC against mexico even though Davies wasnt there. 

With all the MNT games we have seen in the last six months,  there isnt a 1 and a 2 or a 1A and a 1B as the offensive stars on this team.    There are two 1A’s. TB has been just as good.  maybe even better.

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Doneil Henry making it to the infamous football shithousery twitter account

I know I'm going to hell for it but I really liked what Doneil did there. That was after 2  PKs were overlooked by the ref. Doneil let Panama  the ref know he can CONCACA with the best of them.

Just now, yomurphy1 said:

You can also notice in the background (there's a better clip elsewhere) of the Panama GK's knocking down what looks like a Canada trainer. 

You certainly can, if one of the players on the bench got red carded, thus would could not play the next game, he simply would not get called in. St. Clair take one for the team LOL

Cathal kelly is an idiot.  His next article will be about how the next games shouldnt be in Edmonton.  

His bandwagon jumping is more offensive to me.  Drake is an excited fan, come on in, be excited, but Kelly is a cynical sports guy who should know better about Canada being a one man team.  He should know about Buchanons meteoric rise, Crepeau taking over as keeper and the Johnston/Miller solidifying the defense.