Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

31 minutes ago, jordan said:

Dedicated channel
Canadian Content
Torching the guy who shows up every game, who loves the team as much as us in a 9 pager

We can certainly be pretty good at complaining around here. His play-by-play seems to have been toned down now that games are on Sportsnet. Personally I wish there were a few less "SEE YOU LATER" comments when a Canadian player completes a dribble, but love the passion and knowledge about the program.

I’m all in on Wheels and Dunfield… gotta ride this out, they’re part of the team now.

When Dunfield called Davies goal a Watershed moment for Canadian Soccer just a minute after it happened I panicked because I thought the karma police might get us… but it worked out so now he’s a genius. 

Edited by Lurker

I thought the first half was solid, Terry was a bit more applied and focused. And into the 2nd, including that sharp possession spell Panama had. But I did not like them the rest of 2nd half, it was all hyperbole, overstatement, and cliche after cliché. You're doing a job, you can't be a mere fan. 

For these big home matches OneSoccer needs a third person at pitch level, with a dedicated camera, and they cut there for fan reactions, stuff on benches, subs. Herdman screaming at the refs. Rumbles. That way the guys in the booth can get a breather and not have to narrate things they aren't privy to. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I thought the first half was solid, Terry was a bit more applied and focused. And into the 2nd, including that sharp possession spell Panama had. But I did not like them the rest of 2nd half, it was all hyperbole, overstatement, and cliche after cliché. You're doing a job, you can't be a mere fan. 

For these big home matches OneSoccer needs a third person at pitch level, with a dedicated camera, and they cut there for fan reactions, stuff on benches, subs. Herdman screaming at the refs. Rumbles. That way the guys in the booth can get a breather and not have to narrate things they aren't privy to. 

I love that this started out like it was going to be a “player rating” post. 

“Dunfield - 7/10.  Started brightly but faded as the half wore on.  Definitely felt the crowd in the second half but tried to do too much on his own…”

Wheels, sweetheart, baby.  You gotta stop pronouncing games over at 70 minutes.  Just noticed someone complaining about it at another forum and it has been mentioned here.  One of these days you are going to look like a real horse's ass if you keep doing it.

The Dobber and the Duz got caught and Gerry learned his lesson and never did it again and would caution Duz when he would head that way.

There's a reason Yogi Berra said "It ain't over till it's over"

^ I don't think anyone watching, including Panama fans and players, had any doubts about the outcome when it went to 3-1. 

I'm no great fan of Wheels and Dunfield, but if I'm a potential new fan tuning in to a game, what's going to get me more excited: the hyperactive homerism of these two, or the soporific stylings of Nigel Reed (or one of his many accented analogues)? 

That said, give me Vic Rauter or give me death. 

Edited by jonovision

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

^ I don't think anyone watching, including Panama fans and players, had any doubts about the outcome when it went to 3-1. 

That's only two goals, I wish I could remember the game I am referencing above.  I remember the story more than the details, I am sure someone can give the correct details.  I think we were up 2-0 with two minutes left to a Central American team and then went on to choke after the game being called over.

It also kills the story dramatically, you have to find a way to make the game compelling when it does seem out of reach or is a mismatch from the beginning.  In any event, it's bad form.

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

When Dunfield called Davies goal a Watershed moment for Canadian Soccer

Thats kind of the problem i have with this crew.  It seems like every single game they’ re saying things like :  “ this is the biggest game in Canadian history”.  Or this is a “watershed moment”.  First it was the game versus Haiti that was the biggest game in history,  then the game after that, and so on.

Edited by Free kick

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Thats kind of the problem i have with this crew.  It seems like every single they saying things like :  “ this is the biggest game in Canadian history”.  Or this is a “watershed moment”.  First it was the game versus Haiti that was the biggest game in history,  then the game after that.  

There's a lot of truth in there, hyperbole can only take you so far.  I think most of us actually like the guys, just would rather they tone down the catchphrases and the ol' hyperbowl.

15 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Wheels, sweetheart, baby.  You gotta stop pronouncing games over at 70 minutes. 

Echo that.    Why don't you just tell everyone to stop watching?  

Endless practiced phrases to politely acknowledge the obvious without telling people they've probably just wasting their time continuing to watch.   "It's over.  They're done." isn't one of them.

10 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's only two goals, I wish I could remember the game I am referencing above.  I remember the story more than the details, I am sure someone can give the correct details.

Ok. my memory is not so good but I think I found the game I was thinking of (I think).  They must have said that we would get a draw and the goal differential would also be involved.  Looks like it was the Gold Cup 2002 vs Ecuador where we lost 2-0 in the last two minutes.  They don't make the game over pronouncement (it happened earlier) but I found the game and the last few minutes.  At least I think it is the right game :)

After listening to that video I sure miss Gerry.  Lots of people complained about him as well early into his soccer career.  He was not a soccer guy but he made himself into a soccer guy.  He learned, and learned from his mistakes and didn't repeat them and I think he won a lot of people over who were still into the British accent snobbery.

BTW Some not so interesting trivia, the assistant referee for that game was named Steven Vitoria

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

Would agree on the pronouncing that "the game is over" with lots of time still left on the clock.  If you are wrong you'll have to eat those words.  Other than that, these guys generally increase the excitement of the game.

KJ, Oliver, and Andi give the analysis.  Gareth and Terry give the emotion.  And I'm good with this.  I'm not watching the Canadian national team because I'm looking for a technical breakdown of soccer tactics.  I'm watching it because I'll either be wildly fist pumping in my living room or pounding the floor in disgust.  There really is no in between.

31 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Thats kind of the problem i have with this crew.  It seems like every single game they’ re saying things like :  “ this is the biggest game in Canadian history”.  Or this is a “watershed moment”.  First it was the game versus Haiti that was the biggest game in history,  then the game after that, and so on.

I agree fully. I think he comes by it naturally - not everyone is as new to the Nats as he is, so these moments and plays and events are new and fresh and meaningful. They're not all old farts like us that have been on this ride before :)

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

I agree fully. I think he comes by it naturally - not everyone is as new to the Nats as he is, so these moments and plays and events are new and fresh and meaningful. They're not all old farts like us that have been on this ride before :)

Wheeler's 40 years old and has been around Canadian soccer for most of that time.