Dieu-Merci Michel

Atlantic

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Projection, you're the one who put "dickhead"  in italics, bold and red. 

Still didn't answer me though: when did Canada not make the GC so you didn't have to watch us in it? 

I really don't want to get involved but we did pull out of the 1998 Gold Cup in the 90s to allow Jamaica to play and prep for the World Cup

8 hours ago, narduch said:

I really don't want to get involved but we did pull out of the 1998 Gold Cup in the 90s to allow Jamaica to play and prep for the World Cup

Still the average person wouldnt know this.

To be fair, I was hearing the heart of what he was trying to say. Probably just wasn’t articulating it properly.

Completely lost me when I read the qualifying to the GC part. Shows he literally just started following Canada soccer.

14 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Once Les Rouges were out of the WC, did you pick another nation to root for in those years or were you completely neutral and didn't care one way or the other.  I happened to have one team that I fall back on when Canada is out: Italy because my parents are from there. In 2018 Italy didn't make it to the WC. Guess what? I rooted for Croatia because I enjoyed their play. Jeeze, man, this board is full of fanatics and I don't mean the fan types.

That’s not really the point anyone is trying to make. Sure, you can root for Italy in the Euro or World Cup when Canada aren’t there. I do the same for England. That doesn’t mean that you “didn’t have anything to root for” for Canada. You can root for them during WCQ, GC, friendlies. That’s literally the point of this board and of the Voyageurs in general. If we only rooted for Canada when they’re at the WC, the forum would literally not exist.

Only 79 countries have ever even made the world cup.

Should all remaining countries abandon their teams and programs?  The biggest component of this problem are the people who throw on a jersey every 4 years, support nothing here and claim to be the biggest soccer fans in the world and lord it over people like us.   You can't even have a conversation with them about soccer, it always devolves into bullshit.  (not suggesting this is you)

If Italy sucked, College street would be very quiet.   We suck, and still wear the jersey. There is a difference between people who love the game, and those who love an identity that also happens to win....

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

That’s not really the point anyone is trying to make. Sure, you can root for Italy in the Euro or World Cup when Canada aren’t there. I do the same for England. That doesn’t mean that you “didn’t have anything to root for” for Canada. You can root for them during WCQ, GC, friendlies. That’s literally the point of this board and of the Voyageurs in general. If we only rooted for Canada when they’re at the WC, the forum would literally not exist.

The Mass has ended.  Go in peace, to love and serve the Voyageurs.

16 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Once Les Rouges were out of the WC, did you pick another nation to root for in those years or were you completely neutral and didn't care one way or the other.  I happened to have one team that I fall back on when Canada is out: Italy because my parents are from there. In 2018 Italy didn't make it to the WC. Guess what? I rooted for Croatia because I enjoyed their play. Jeeze, man, this board is full of fanatics and I don't mean the fan types.

I cheer for Nigeria (heritage) and United States (familiarity) during most World Cups.

I am also obsessed with Canadian soccer, certainly to an unhealthy degree. 😁

Just a reminder there is grey when it comes to this stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I cheer for Nigeria (heritage) and United States (familiarity) during most World Cups.

Most definitely, I don't know why guys are acting like they don't support another European/UK team when the WC comes around. It's okay to be a Canada soccer fanatic and have a your fall back(ancestral) nation. Not everyone is lucky to have that. 

For me when the WC comes around and I'm asked by the brand new soccer fanatics who I'm supporting....it's usually Brazil for no other reason than the style of play/players.

Again I just think Sal articulated himself wrong, and spewed out bullshit which lost his main point. But I heard it.

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Most definitely, I don't know why guys are acting like they don't support another European/UK team when the WC comes around. It's okay to be a Canada soccer fanatic and have a your fall back(ancestral) nation. Not everyone is lucky to have that. 

For me when the WC comes around and I'm asked by the brand new soccer fanatics who I'm supporting....it's usually Brazil for no other reason than the style of play/players.

Again I just think Sal articulated himself wrong, and spewed out bullshit which lost his main point. But I heard it.

It's funny because throughout this discussion, I can only think of teams that I cheer against when I watch the World Cup.  For 90 minutes I am the biggest fan of whichever country is playing England, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina or Spain.

3 hours ago, El Hombre said:

It's funny because throughout this discussion, I can only think of teams that I cheer against when I watch the World Cup.  For 90 minutes I am the biggest fan of whichever country is playing England, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina or Spain.

How hipster of you :)

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Completely agree - I live and die by the Samurai Blue in the WC because of my heritage, but the team I follow the most by far is Canada.  The nice part is that the idea of them playing against each other has always been purely hypothetical.  So it's not hard to root for both.

Yeah. I follow and cheer for Belgium as I am married to a Belgian and I like the fact they are a small overachieving nation but I am fanatical about Canada.  

ps as Belgium is now on the decline, I am going to have to get divorced and marry someone from the next up and coming small overachieving nation. Anyone know any single Danish women?

6 hours ago, GasPed said:

Completely agree - I live and die by the Samurai Blue in the WC because of my heritage, but the team I follow the most by far is Canada.  The nice part is that the idea of them playing against each other has always been purely hypothetical.  So it's not hard to root for both.

We played Japan in the 2001 Confederations Cup.

It is cliché but one of great things about being Canadian is you can be Canadian and still respect/support/enjoy things from other nations. 

In my situation, I would probably have little or no interest in soccer/football without my extended family/heritage.  So as much as they are a hard group to be a part of sometimes, I feel I need to support English football at points and not just my club. (When England is also out, I tend to go for who hasn't won the given trophy etc.)

That said, if there ever comes a day in my lifetime when England and Canada fire football shots in anger, I would be Canada through and through.  And would I lord it over some people if we came away with something.

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

Yeah. I follow and cheer for Belgium as I am married to a Belgian and I like the fact they are a small overachieving nation but I am fanatical about Canada.  

ps as Belgium is now on the decline, I am going to have to get divorced and marry someone from the next up and coming small overachieving nation. Anyone know any single Danish women?

I’m telling.

12 hours ago, GasPed said:

For me I support Spain as well but if it's against Canada, depends on the sport. Soccer both male and female I support Canada. If it were hockey (?) it'd be the underdog. For water-polo or basketball, I often look at which team I want to progress or I think has a medal chance, for example. Clubs, Caps, Barça and then I pick and choose. If 3 semifinalists of MLS were the Canadian teams, better. Let Real Madrid lose always, even training. Dislike Bayern Munich and PSG.