Dieu-Merci Michel

Atlantic

Not saying it’s him, but I do wonder if there’s guys playing at lower/youth levels that would perform on the CMNT stage.

I feel like some guys could just be an opportunity away from their career getting the boost it needs via a NT appearance (Kone is great example)

I think he needs a few senior appearances before he gets picked up, but he should get those next season, and we should cap him soon thereafter. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I'm surprised despite his prolific stats he hasn't been given any sort of chance with the first team.

To be fair, he’s played like 4 games for the B team and I think even that was a surprise considering his sharp rise. guimares is fighting for a Europa spot too, so I don’t think they’re in a position to tinker with their lineup too much.

1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Not that he has many other NT opportunities (I think maybe Angola from what I can find), but love that in his Youtube compilation titles he states "Top Canadian Prospect" and "The Future of Canada".

No shyness of where he's from is refreshing and no massive dual nationality fights needed (or so it seems).

I think Angolan citizenship gives you easy access to Portuguese citizenship. If Portugal wanted him, they could easily make it happen.

On 5/16/2023 at 10:46 AM, InglewoodJack said:

I think he needs a few senior appearances before he gets picked up, but he should get those next season, and we should cap him soon thereafter. 

To be fair, he’s played like 4 games for the B team and I think even that was a surprise considering his sharp rise. guimares is fighting for a Europa spot too, so I don’t think they’re in a position to tinker with their lineup too much.

Generally speaking I think it's best to call up guys that are playing senior ball but, if there is somebody who has the potential to be really special, I think a call up right away could be warranted and this situation seems to be one of those special cases. Gold Cup or a Nation's League appearance could do him wonders like @Shway mentioned.

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Generally speaking I think it's best to call up guys that are playing senior ball but, if there is somebody who has the potential to be really special, I think a call up right away could be warranted and this situation seems to be one of those special cases. Gold Cup 2019 or a Nation's League appearance could do him wonders like @Shway mentioned.

I would agree if he was a youth player at like Liverpool or Bayern or something, but I don't know if playing youth ball in Portugal for one of the not big 3 teams is worth a call up yet. If Herdman wants to make DMM the next Koleosho and roll out the red carpet because other dual nationals aren't working out, I'm fine with it, but I think we can wait until he plays a couple first team games, then I'd be pretty quick to call him in.

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I would agree if he was a youth player at like Liverpool or Bayern or something, but I don't know if playing youth ball in Portugal for one of the not big 3 teams is worth a call up yet. If Herdman wants to make DMM the next Koleosho and roll out the red carpet because other dual nationals aren't working out, I'm fine with it, but I think we can wait until he plays a couple first team games, then I'd be pretty quick to call him in.

I completely understand this, and agree with it. My thinking just comes with “but what if he does have the talent and just hasn’t gotten the opportunity”….it’s just a thought, but there’s probably others that would deserve a call up.

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

I completely understand this, and agree with it. My thinking just comes with “but what if he does have the talent and just hasn’t gotten the opportunity”….it’s just a thought, but there’s probably others that would deserve a call up.

Would he even play though? Koleosho didn't play- I know he may have been the one to make that decision- even guys like Zator, Waterman, don't play, Corbeanu has barely played any meaningful minutes in ages, etc. I'm fine if Herdman has it in mind that he wants to call up one great prospect and Dan Jebbison says no, Niko Sigur says no, Jesse Costa says no, so on down the list and Michel is the one guy that answers the call, I wouldn't be upset, but I think we're okay to wait. If he wants to play for Portugal, there's nothing we can do. If he chooses Angola over us, then there's nothing we could've done about it, because if he's set on playing for them, he will.

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If he wants to play for Portugal, there's nothing we can do. If he chooses Angola over us, then there's nothing we could've done about it, because if he's set on playing for them, he will.

As others have mentioned, he seems intent on playing for Canada, so I'm not quite sure where this sentiment comes from.

32 minutes ago, phresh said:

As others have mentioned, he seems intent on playing for Canada, so I'm not quite sure where this sentiment comes from.

It comes from the fact that the only reason to bring in a 19 year old kid with no first team experience would be to cap tie him to Canada. If he's already intent on playing for us, calling him up as as useful for us as calling up JMR or Sean Rea. They're nice young players, but they won't give you much in games yet.

Edited by InglewoodJack

19 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think Angolan citizenship gives you easy access to Portuguese citizenship. If Portugal wanted him, they could easily make it happen.

I don't think it's quite that cut & dry.

For the previous generation, yes. But that's usually due to parents already having had Portuguese citizenship before Angola declared their independence in 1975. But without knowing the specifics in his case, it's hard to know for sure.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I asked who this was in the gold cup thread, he was doing the shooting drills and looked pretty good honestly incredible find I would’ve never guessed it.

Im pretty sure its him, and I do remember seeing that he was back in Canada through social media. Are you allowed to bring in anybody to train even if they're not in the 23 man roster?