Dieu-Merci Michel

Atlantic

On 8/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

One word...bandwagoneer

I get why you were upset from what he said and all that, but as an aside, the bandwagon gets a bad reputation, but in a way they are possibly the most important fans. If there was no bandwagon, or chance of a bandwagon, but rather only fans with unconditional support, what would be the motivation for a team to do well? If there will be no increase in fan attendance, or purchase of merchandise, or TV/streaming ratings, then why would the club or federation invest more into it?

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I get why you were upset from what he said and all that, but as an aside, the bandwagon gets a bad reputation, but in a way they are possibly the most important fans. If there was no bandwagon, or chance of a bandwagon, but rather only fans with unconditional support, what would be the motivation for a team to do well? If there will be no increase in fan attendance, or purchase of merchandise, or TV/streaming ratings, then why would the club or federation invest more into it?

To perhaps over generalize it, without bandwagon fans, most of the professional sports industry would simply not exist. For professional sports to succeed we need bandwagon fans. 

38 minutes ago, Kent said:

I totally agree with you and maybe I used the wrong word to describe the situation but the OP said something I found offensive as a loyal fan and then he tried to "move the goalposts" and make out that wasn't what he meant.  That made it worse.

I think everybody has pretty much made their feelings known and it's time to move along lil doggies.

29 minutes ago, frattinator said:

To perhaps over generalize it, without bandwagon fans, most of the professional sports industry would simply not exist. For professional sports to succeed we need bandwagon fans. 

We all can't be proper fans.  Is there an initiation,new fans have to go through to enjoy the run of our current men's national team?  Maybe we're not even entitled to watch or follow along.  Maybe we don't deserve to follow the team.  I hope Joe isn't part of the recruitment efforts. 

4 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Wow....get over yourself.

Maybe if you are new here you didn't have to put up with years of trolls who came here and said Canadian soccer was shit and why do we bother and to give it up.  If you have a problem with some of us having an issue with that and newbies coming on here basically saying that, you can piss off my friend.

All the old timers who know me know I ain't here for the popularity contest.  Cue easy response to setup.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

16 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Maybe if you are new here you didn't have to put up with years of trolls who came here and said Canadian soccer was shit and why do we bother and to give it up.  If you have a problem with some of us having an issue with that and newbies coming on here basically saying that, you can piss off my friend.

All the old timers who know me know I ain't here for the popularity contest.  Cue easy response to setup.

There's no doubt your dedication and the amount you follow this team the last 20+ years far exceeds what I or many other fans have.   A fans desire to follow any club in any sport is often tied to performance.  

I'm a sports nut.  I've only truly followed soccer for the last 12 years.  As a sports fan I've always kept tabs on the Canadian national team.  2004 is still burned in my brain.  I haven't missed following the national team the last decade.  

We casuals enjoy coming here, because the dedicated hard cores have so much knowledge to share.  I feel like a pretty hard core follower myself now.  I've got my friend who was born and raised in England to follow team Canada.  England will always be his number one, but he has a onesoccer sub and is following the club.  He's the one who got me into the sport in the first place.  There's no such thing as a bad fan.   He will take great joy in Canada qualifying for the world cup because he's a Canadian citizen.  The way you come off it's almost as if you feel he's not worthy of that joy because he cheers for England as well.

There's no such thing as a bad fan.  If you're willing to put on the Canadian red whether is a full one time swtich or just for the day we're playing.  In my mind you're a brother in arms.  Go Canada!

Edited by prairiecanuck

7 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

There's no doubt your dedication and the amount you follow this team the last 20+ years far exceeds what I or many other fans have.   A fans desire to follow any club in any sport is often tied to performance.  

I'm a sports nut.  I've only truly followed soccer for the last 12 years.  As a sports fan I've always kept tabs on the Canadian national team.  2004 is still burned in my brain.  I haven't missed following the national team the last decade.  

We casuals enjoy coming here, because the dedicated hard cores have so much knowledge to share.  I feel like a pretty hard core follower myself now.  I've got my friend who was born and raised in England to follow team Canada.  England will always be his number one, but he has a onesoccer sub and is following the club.  He's the one who got me into the sport in the first place.  There's no such thing as a bad fan.   He will take great joy in Canada qualifying for the world cup because he's a Canadian citizen.  The way you come off it's almost as if you feel he's not worthy of that joy because he cheers for England as well.

There's no such thing as a bad fan.  If you're willing to put on the Canadian red whether is a full one time swtich or just for the day we're playing.  In my mind you're a brother in arms.  Go Canada!

Can't argue with that, but you're missing the point of what the guy actually said and then backtracked on.  I'll elaborate if you want but it's all in the thread.  Time to move on.  Peace out.

PS Not 20+ years, getting damn near 50 years, where's Buzz Parsons when you need him. :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

This is the time to grow our fan base and the V membership. Anyone under 30 is influenced by trends...upwards and they want in. Sadly there is no such thing as loyalty for life....Btw I love my 30 yr old beer fridge. We live in a transient society. Sometimes it's best to ignore things....it works for me with my son 😊. We need to attract as many fans as possible on our way to the Holy Grail. 

22 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

We played Japan in the 2001 Confederations Cup.

So we did, and I have to be honest, I did not follow that tournament at all (nor any Confederations Cup for that matter).  We also had a friendly in 2013 that I did pay some attention to.  But yeah, it's not like we've had a lot of match history in games that counted for something (sadly)... 

35 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He must be reading this thread because he added a Canadian flag in his IG bio…before the Angolan flag no less 

I saw that as well. My original comment was not intended to start the enduring debate so I apologize on that behalf 😅

If you are reading this thread Dieu-Merci, best of luck with Brugge this year!

• 2 months later...