Dieu-Merci Michel

Atlantic

50 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I have a lot of trouble with that.  In fact, that is why this whole group/website/forum or whatever we're calling it exists.  Even though I have memories of the CMNT going back to the 70's I sure as hell didn't have to wait for 1986 to have a team to root for.

Not that it should matter, but I am also the child of an immigrant.

You want the child of immigrants to root for a team that is not in WC as opposed to their parent's team that is in the WC? This makes sense to you?

On 8/13/2021 at 1:47 PM, Dominic94 said:

Is Angola really a threat to us ?

Angola's dual national recruitment is hilariously pitiful. If they were serious about their recruitment they'd have a much stronger squad that would be among the best in Africa.

They're even bad at calling up European players who were born in Angola.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

You want the child of immigrants to root for a team that is not in WC as opposed to their parent's team that is in the WC? This makes sense to you?

I think it was the idea that “until recently we didn't have a team to root for” that struck a chord.   Many of us on here have supported our boys through some pretty lean years, so the idea that there wasn’t a Canadian team to cheer for seems kind of narrow-sighted.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it was the idea that “until recently we didn't have a team to root for” that struck a chord.   Many of us on here have supported our boys through some pretty lean years, so the idea that there wasn’t a Canadian team to cheer for seems kind of narrow-sighted.  

A team to root for in the WC. 

6 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Another point: the overwhelming majority of players on the national team are either immigrants or children of immigrants. The CANMNT better represents Canada than our hockey TEAM CANADA.

By that logic, I guess our 4x100 metre sprint relay team doesn't represent the majority of Canadians.  Funny, I thought they represented me but I guess by today's twisted logic, I am wrong.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yes, but I guess the goalposts have now moved.

5 hours ago, Sal333 said:

That's not what you said.  You said "until recently we didn't have a team to root for."  AFAIK we're not in the WC yet.

You gotta understand some of us have been reading, seeing and arguing against that crap for a long time and you should understand that it rankles.

That's all sorta beyond the point for this discussion -- for a lot of kids (and people in general), they don't find themselves rooting for the Canadian national team because they have had basically zero success for 20 years. I have no idea what Michel is thinking of course, but it's possible he doesn't feel much connection to the national team because of that. Many people cheer for their 'second' nationality because they see them play at World Cups.

I don't like that narrative as much as the next V, but as a matter of reality there are many people who think this way.

39 minutes ago, El Diego said:

That's all sorta beyond the point for this discussion -- for a lot of kids (and people in general), they don't find themselves rooting for the Canadian national team because they have had basically zero success for 20 years. I have no idea what Michel is thinking of course, but it's possible he doesn't feel much connection to the national team because of that. Many people cheer for their 'second' nationality because they see them play at World Cups.

I don't like that narrative as much as the next V, but as a matter of reality there are many people who think this way.

When the Canadian teams of the past had trouble making the first or second round of qualifications of most major tournaments, you don't really have a team to root for.  You have a team to hope for but not to root. There's nothing to root for. You hope that they'll make it the next time round.

When Canada didn't make the GC, I rarely watched it because I'm not a fan of CONCACAF shenanigans. But when the WC or the Euros came around I did watch and I rooted for my parent's home team because I do share some of my parents' feelings and because Canada only qualified for one WC OR THERE WAS NO CANADIAN TEAM TO ROOT FOR. Now, if this offends the sensibilities of some of the more pure nationalistic posters, that's your freaking problem, not mine and I won't apologize for it. And I won't pretend that there was a team to root for when there wasn't.

Edited by Sal333

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

One word...bandwagoneer

Let me ask you, did you root for Canada at the 2018 WC or the 2014 or the 2010? Maybe you cheered for them at the 2006? And if not why?

I got one phrase for you: a self-righteous Puritan.

Edited by Sal333

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Let me ask you, did you root for Canada at the 2018 WC or the 2014 or the 2010? And if not why?I got one phrase for you: a self-righteous Puritan.

We all saw what you wrote and the effort you've made to move the goalposts to being about the WC.  You can jump on and off the bandwagon if you will, don't be surprised if you're called on it.  Self-righteous Puritan is probably the politest thing I've been called here :)

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

We all saw what you wrote and the effort you've made to move the goalposts to being about the WC.  You can jump on and off the bandwagon if you will, don't be surprised if you're called on it.

You never answered my question. 

28 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

When the Canadian teams of the past had trouble making the first or second round of qualifications of most major tournaments, you don't really have a team to root for.  You have a team to hope for but not to root. There's nothing to root for. You hope that they'll make it the next time round.

When Canada didn't make the GC, I rarely watched it because I'm not a fan of CONCACAF shenanigans. But when the WC or the Euros came around I did watch and I rooted for my parent's home team because I do share some of my parents' feelings and because Canada only qualified for one WC OR THERE WAS NO CANADIAN TEAM TO ROOT FOR. Now, if this offends the sensibilities of some of the more pure nationalistic posters, that's your freaking problem, not mine and I won't apologize for it. And I won't pretend that there was a team to root for when there wasn't.

"When Canada didn't make the GC..." 

Don't ever cheat on your spouse.

14 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Let me ask you, did you root for Canada at the 2018 WC or the 2014 or the 2010? Maybe you cheered for them at the 2006? And if not why?

The vast majority of people on here were rooting for Canada throughout world cup qualifiers for 2018, 2014, 2010, etc.  It is what being a fan is all about, cheering for your team regardless of the competition they are playing in.  Just because you choose not to, or are only interested if they are in the World Cup, doesn't mean there is nothing to root for.  

It is disrespectful to suggest otherwise.

28 minutes ago, kacbru said:

The vast majority of people on here were rooting for Canada throughout world cup qualifiers for 2018, 2014, 2010, etc.  It is what being a fan is all about, cheering for your team regardless of the competition they are playing in.  Just because you choose not to, or are only interested if they are in the World Cup, doesn't mean there is nothing to root for.  

It is disrespectful to suggest otherwise.

Once Les Rouges were out of the WC, did you pick another nation to root for in those years or were you completely neutral and didn't care one way or the other.  I happened to have one team that I fall back on when Canada is out: Italy because my parents are from there. In 2018 Italy didn't make it to the WC. Guess what? I rooted for Croatia because I enjoyed their play. Jeeze, man, this board is full of fanatics and I don't mean the fan types.

19 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

. Cheering for another team when yours is out is just like infidelity. Yeah, give your head a shake.

You said "when Canada didn't make the GC" 

When was that? 

Coming onto a Canada soccer forum proving you are a liar apart from a troll isn't the best calling card. 

30 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Yeah, give your head a shake.

I'll give you credit, you oughta know about that, because the word that comes to mind, reading your posts, is DICKHEAD. 

I don't expect you to understand but your little post reminded me of Trash Madani's article that said Atiba Hutchinson's career with Canada was basically a waste.  If loyalty and character are hard to come by for you, you might have some difficulty here.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

.Now, if this offends the sensibilities of some of the more pure nationalistic posters, that's your freaking problem, not mine and I won't apologize for it. And I won't pretend that there was a team to root for when there wasn't.

Did you expect people not to be nationalistic on a website about national soccer?????

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Did you expect people not to be nationalistic on a website about national soccer?????

That's the one that always gets me, being accused of being a nationalist.  That's the whole reason the shirt says Canada instead of Bayern Munich

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'll give you credit, you oughta know about that, because the word that comes to mind, reading your posts, is DICKHEAD

I don't expect you to understand but your little post reminded me of Trash Madani's article that said Atiba Hutchinson's career with Canada was basically a waste.  If loyalty and character are hard to come by for you, you might have some difficulty here.

I suggest you look up projection  in a psychology book.