Justin Smith

• 2 weeks later...

It is always easy to blame the club but Ligue 2 is a very decent level for an just turned 20 year old. He worked his way up to the main roster and now playing time.

We always blame teams for Corbeanu failures and never his decision making or selfishness with the ball. There is a reason he has been on so many teams in such a short time and it usually falls on the player. Corbeanu obviously has the talent to play but he goes from starting on team, to reserve, to not making the field.

Smith in the other hand has gone from the practice roster, to game day roster and now with playtime. I think this is a great opportunity for him to start making his name in Ligue 2 with hopefully being a starter next year

34 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

It is always easy to blame the club but Ligue 2 is a very decent level for an just turned 20 year old. He worked his way up to the main roster and now playing time.

We always blame teams for Corbeanu failures and never his decision making or selfishness with the ball. There is a reason he has been on so many teams in such a short time and it usually falls on the player. Corbeanu obviously has the talent to play but he goes from starting on team, to reserve, to not making the field.

Smith in the other hand has gone from the practice roster, to game day roster and now with playtime. I think this is a great opportunity for him to start making his name in Ligue 2 with hopefully being a starter next year

I think we’ve given sufficient blame to Corbeanu for how he plays, especially because he was given a ton of playing time to start the season, so we see how he plays. With Justin Smith, he’s played good for us, he looked excellent in camp, I guess we also don’t see as much of his games given the level he plays at, so it’s more confusing why he basically spent three quarters of the season without playing for the team he was loaned to. That said, if he finishes the season as a ligue 2 regular, I don’t think that’s a terrible place for him to be. It’s a step up from Nice II.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, rydermike said:

Good thing its the Ligue2 Laval and not one of the PLSQ Laval's. 

(Just a joke at some of the young players we've hyped only for them to wind up back in L1O or other low leagues a few years later)

You know, it's funny how we get excited about Smith moving to Ligue 2. Then we fail to beat a team with Ligue 2 players and then we are shocked how we could drop points to a bunch of nobodies lol.

And yeah I get that Smith is nowhere near the NT, but then again we also talk about him as a possible option for CM and CB! 

• 2 weeks later...

Good move if he's playing +2000 minutes next season. It's on him to make sure that happens. 

We probably need to adjust our expectations of him.

Can he eventually contribute to the pool? Sure, but it probably won't be significant until next cycle. Here's my thinking:

Soonest he'll return to Nice will be the 2024-25 season, where it's unlikely he jumps from 3rd div loanee to reglular first team contributor, right? Now maybe he has a fantastic loan in 2023-24, then following season (2024-25) goes on loan to another Ligue 1 club, or goes to the Belgian first division or something. That's probably a best case scenario, but even then he'd have just 1 season under his belt at a good level, just one year before the World Cup.

Maybe that earns him a chance or two, but being realistic it just doesn't seem like his trajectory will pick up enough to force his way onto our national team for the 2026 WC. 

I think it's more likely he'll be uncapped than on the 2026 WC roster when it drops in 3 years time. 

Edited by Obinna