Justin Smith

Maybe Smith is not as highly rated as we think.

We know he passed the eye test with the U-20s, but it's the U-20s in Concacaf, with a poor, unprepared Canadian team, full of players with scant CPL experience or (worse) no pro experience at all. Smith looked just as good a player as the American midfielders he was up against, but we are talking about MLS players with barely more than a season under their belts. How many of those guys would walk into Ligue 2 and play regular minutes? 

I am not saying Smith sucks, and despite all of the above I would have thought he'd make at least a single appearance by now, but he's further away than we thought, clearly.

Who knows him better? QRM who watch him daily, or our little rag-tag group of internet armchair analysis (myself included)? The longer this goes on, the more I feel we have been premature to call for his inclusion to the national team. IF you cannot play somewhat regularly in Ligue 2, there isn't a chance. Abzi has yet to be called and he's played way more minutes than Smith has. 

Clearly this loan hasn't panned out, either because QRM have external reasons (i.e. nothing against him) why they don't play him, or because they don't rate him, or maybe a bit of both. They clearly thought he could be useful, since they agreed to take him on, but not all loans work out, unfortunately, and something seems to have gone wrong here, because I doubt the plan was for him to play with the 2nd team all season. Otherwise, Nice would have just kept him put. He's played more for Nice II than QRM II.

Such a strange situation, but just take a look at ZBG and Andreas-Brym. Both roughly played the same kind of minutes for Ligue 1 reserve teams - they ended up a CF Montreal and FC Eindhovan, respectively. Maybe we need to consider his fate will be similar?

By the way, just noticed he was once a part of PSG academy. Is that why he always seems to play against PSG in friendlies? lol

Edit: I notice QRM are currently 9th. Last year they were in the relegation play-off, and the season before that they were in the 3rd division. Maybe what's happening here is that QRM brought Smith in on loan (in good faith) as a promising young player who may help them stay up, but they are more than staying up right now, they are in the top half of the table! Basically, things are going swimmingly well for them at the moment. No need to tinker...and definitely no need to play someone who's not your property to begin with. That's my theory at what's happening....

Edited by Obinna
one extra point I want to make...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Confusing comment given that he also sat on Nice’s bench and played for their reserves.

Maybe he yo yo’d between the Nice rosters more, and maybe here is predominately 1st team with the exception to reserve games