WCQ: Canada vs Haiti - Tuesday, June 15th, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago area

11 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Tough luck for them but I don't think it will affect their overall level too much. They seem to have decent depth in the defence and attack. As for the keeper, he was a key player and their captain but we still need to create chances. Their backup keeper played a match in the Portuguese second division this season so he can't be too bad.

Made a key stop on a Jonathan David breakaway.  Not many keepers can say that.

5 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

This shouldn't be a surprise, the FHF has failed in multiple domains as of late. You have to feel for their players but I am NOT going to say "I wish we could do it against their best" This is Canada's "Concacaf" advantage for playing in the US. No excuse not to beat them by more than a goal this time. 

Yeah I'm not going to complain about the sporting aspect as this helps us massively but outside of this I feel terrible for the players, especially guys like Geffrard who deserve better than this crap from the Haitian FA.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

Made a key stop on a Jonathan David breakaway.  Not many keepers can say that.

Werner Hahn did in the previous match ;) but yes, that was a huge stop that made up for his earlier error.

I just worry about complacency here. We need to smell blood and kill these guys.

20 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Yeah I'm not going to complain about the sporting aspect as this helps us massively but outside of this I feel terrible for the players, especially guys like Geffrard who deserve better than this crap from the Haitian FA.

16 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Placide also said he can't see himself playing in the Gold Cup given the mess the Haiti FA is in. 

Feel bad for the players. 

Is the Haitian FA not headed by our former Governor General, Michaëlle Jean? 

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

Its actually kind of funny to see the news here first and then have the media guys today state that they 'heard rumblings' of this happening.

This was tweeted 18 hours ago so I think anyone could've heard rumblings haha. Surprised it wasn't news yesterday. 

*I have to admit that is a heartbreaking picture. Can't imagine Davies Borjan and Osorio pictured watching their teammates cross the border to play the biggest game of their lives. 

Edited by Ngravs

Bad news for Haiti but good news for us, I guess.  I can't watch the match live because my family is taking me out for my 60th tonight, so now I'm torn between just reading the result after or staying up after midnight to watch the replay on One Soccer and being a zombie at work tomorrow.  Whatever, because I'm 60 today, I'm predicting 6-0 for Canada.  Allez Les Rouge!

31 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Is the Haitian FA not headed by our former Governor General, Michaëlle Jean? 

No. She was going to take the job:

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/amp/composition-of-the-normalisation-committee-for-the-haitian-football-association-

then her role became that of being part of an advisory panel of the new FIFA appointed admins instead:

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/advisory-panel-to-be-set-up-to-support-normalisation-committee-in-haiti

49 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Placide also said he can't see himself playing in the Gold Cup given the mess the Haiti FA is in. 

Feel bad for the players. 

Details are here:

http://www.lenouvelliste.com/article/229797/johny-placide-sera-absent-contre-canada-et-laisse-planer-des-doutes-sur-son-avenir-avec-la-selection-nationale/amp

----

Official confirmation from the FHF about the missing players here:

http://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158098247496188&id=102815076187

@narduch I told ya there was a risk of a Olympic Qualifying style f-up! 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Just now, umpiredice said:

Bad news for Haiti but good news for us, I guess.  I can't watch the match live because my family is taking me out for my 60th tonight, so now I'm torn between just reading the result after or staying up after midnight to watch the replay on One Soccer and being a zombie at work tomorrow.  Whatever, because I'm 60 today, I'm predicting 6-0 for Canada.  Allez Les Rouge!

Hope the boys give you a nice birthday gift!

3 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

Happy hatchday :) 

8 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

Lucky for us you are not turning six today ;)

Have a good one, welcome to the club.

10 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

1565402596_Capturedecranle2021-06-15a11_34_26.png.3c5861f4243e80f03a02b889990c9e6e.png

Looks like Canadian born Duverger will start for Placide, US born Ashkanov (30 yr old with 1 cap) will start for Christian and of course Nazon for Antoine.

Pretty cool for Duverger to start against Canada!  

If we were really greasy we would get on the line to Duverger and try to get him to scratch himself and switch to Canada.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Tough luck for them but I don't think it will affect their overall level too much. They seem to have decent depth in the defence and attack. As for the keeper, he was a key player and their captain but we still need to create chances. Their backup keeper played a match in the Portuguese second division this season so he can't be too bad.

That teams wiki actually hasn’t been updated in over a year, his team was in the third division of Portugal this season since they were relegated in 19-20.

I’m not exactly sure what could end up happening to Duvergers club as they’re installing a new third division next season so they might be on their way down to Tier 4. 

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Get the border agents to crank up the cycle on the old pcr test. Consider yourself Concacafed Haiti

Take notes Central America, lighting off fireworks outside the team hotel is sooooo 2012

WhAt ArE pCr cYcLe RaTeS?

A few things to maybe calm the nerves:

- We just had a similar situation happen against Suriname. We needed to tie or win to advance (ignoring the unlikely 1-0 loss scenario here), we ended up smashing them. The pressure was probably even higher for that game against a better team on paper.

- The ball should move much better on this field, we should be able to create a lot more chances this time. I’m sure if Larin and David get similar chances, they’ll finish them. 

- Haiti missing their keeper and a few others is a big loss, their depth is already nowhere near ours as it is.

- A lot of guys didn’t have great games in leg one, the heat was probably a big part. I can see Davies and David repeating what they did against Suriname.