WCQ: Canada vs Haiti - Tuesday, June 15th, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago area

6 hours ago, apbsmith said:

If tied on aggregate score and total away goals after 180 mins, it goes 2x 15 mins of ET.

In extra time, any extra time away goals count as "away goals" so they would essentially be worth double for Haiti.

We need to end this after 90 mins. Which we will :)

I can't believe this is actually true. I would assume that away goals after extra time will still be a tie breaker. But if say we get to extra time and we score 2 and Haiti scores 1, that doesn't mean that their 1 goal is doubled and it becomes 2-2 (in extra time) to then force a shootout. We would win because we have more goals.

I guess that scenario is why you said "essentially". If Haiti scores it would force us to score 2 or else we lose, but in scoring 2 when they score 1 (again, all in extra time after they have won 1-0 in regulation) we win rather than tie.

49 minutes ago, Kent said:

I can't believe this is actually true. I would assume that away goals after extra time will still be a tie breaker. But if say we get to extra time and we score 2 and Haiti scores 1, that doesn't mean that their 1 goal is doubled and it becomes 2-2 (in extra time) to then force a shootout. We would win because we have more goals.

I guess that scenario is why you said "essentially". If Haiti scores it would force us to score 2 or else we lose, but in scoring 2 when they score 1 (again, all in extra time after they have won 1-0 in regulation) we win rather than tie.

I always think of away goals as counting as 1.0000001 … which is more consistent with what you’re saying.

I've always been annoyed by the "away goals count double" terminology used by many.  Don't know where it came from, and don't know why it stuck.  Just call it the "away goals tiebreaker".

EDIT:  OMG, it's in the freaking FIFA RULES OF THE GAME!  FIFA - is there anything you can't fuck up? 

Away goals rule
Method of deciding a match/tie when both teams have scored the same number of goals; goals scored away from home count double

Edited by sstackho

16 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@gigi riva , so answer your question, yes they left Haiti last night.

We will have plenty of time to ask the CSA and FIFA about it, should we proceed to the next round.

According to the rulebook, they carry over. They're only erased at the start of the final competition - the World Cup itself. 

If a player earns a suspension in the final qualifying game - that WILL carry over though. 

8 hours ago, apbsmith said:

If tied on aggregate score and total away goals after 180 mins, it goes 2x 15 mins of ET.

In extra time, any extra time away goals count as "away goals" so they would essentially be worth double for Haiti.

We need to end this after 90 mins. Which we will :)

What does this even mean?

If we go to extra time and lose 1-0, it would still be 1-1. If we go to extra time and lose 2-1, we would have lost regardless if it was extra time or not. 

http://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158095063561188&id=102815076187

The FHF with some story about players not being allowed to fly to the USA because they had been in Europe in the 14 days prior!?!?

Three of those guys will be travelling today instead, while Martin Experience won't be travelling to Chicago at all.

This is making me think of Olympic Qualifying all over again!

28 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The FHF with some story about players not being allowed to fly to the USA because they had been in Europe in the 14 days prior!?!?

Three of those guys will be travelling today instead, while Martin Experience won't be travelling to Chicago at all.

Can't help but chuckle at Haiti referring to the USA as the land of "Tonton Sam"

4 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

If we go to extra time and lose 1-0, it would still be 1-1. If we go to extra time and lose 2-1, we would have lost regardless if it was extra time or not. 

But they could have separate rules for extra time. For example, under current rules, if Haiti wins 2-1 in regulation, they win … no complaints here. But, if they win 1-0 in regulation, we go to ET. And, if Haiti and Canada both score in ET, the score on the night is 2-1, and we lose!  But we’re saying that after regulation, the away goals rule should stop, and in my last scenario, we should be going to penalties. Basically, Haiti is being allowed 30 extra minutes to score away; we only had 90 minutes, they get 120.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Believe a number of Concacaf nations had this same issue in the March window. Including Bermuda 

1 hour ago, Addona said:

But they could have separate rules for extra time. For example, under current rules, if Haiti wins 2-1 in regulation, they win … no complaints here. But, if they win 1-0 in regulation, we go to ET. And, if Haiti and Canada both score in ET, the score on the night is 2-1, and we lose!  But we’re saying that after regulation, the away goals rule should stop, and in my last scenario, we should be going to penalties. Basically, Haiti is being allowed 30 extra minutes to score away; we only had 90 minutes, they get 120.

The counter argument is that we would have had the benefit of playing the extra 30 minutes at home.

10 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The counter argument is that we would have had the benefit of playing the extra 30 minutes at home.

Sure, and we get to play at home in the 2nd leg, knowing exactly what we need … to me, that’s an advantage of being seeded higher (I think).  But, yes, I guess it’s my opinion that the other advantage is larger … and, of course, in this particular instance, “playing at home” doesn’t help so much…

2 minutes ago, Addona said:

Sure, and we get to play at home in the 2nd leg, knowing exactly what we need … to me, that’s an advantage of being seeded higher (I think).  But, yes, I guess it’s my opinion that the other advantage is larger … and, of course, in this particular instance, “playing at home” doesn’t help so much…

I think it was a random draw that gave us the home leg.

Regarding away goals, UEFA recently announced they'd drop the rule for all European club competitions.

https://theathletic.com/news/uefa-champions-league-away-goals-rule/2L1AvqBDCJqS

I find it odd they feel it is no longer necessary. Scoring two away seems like a decent reason to get a prize. The alternative is away teams being ultra-defensive, the rule encourages them to open up a bit.

Now I would most definitely agree it should be scrapped for extra periods, since it gives the away team 2nd leg more time to take advantage of the rule and exposes the home team for a longer period to its risk.

49 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Regarding away goals, UEFA recently announced they'd drop the rule for all European club competitions.

https://theathletic.com/news/uefa-champions-league-away-goals-rule/2L1AvqBDCJqS

I find it odd they feel it is no longer necessary. Scoring two away seems like a decent reason to get a prize. The alternative is away teams being ultra-defensive, the rule encourages them to open up a bit.

Now I would most definitely agree it should be scrapped for extra periods, since it gives the away team 2nd leg more time to take advantage of the rule and exposes the home team for a longer period to its risk.

I'm also surprised they are getting rid of it. I didn't realize there was any controversy over it. The other thing it does (in addition to making away teams open up) is it gives the opportunity for a result to go from "losing" to "winning" (and vice versa) with a single goal. There is no other way this happens in soccer (unlike sports like basketball, baseball, gridiron football, where you can score multiple points in one play).

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Interested to see what we do for this one. 

Does Cavallini come in for Larin?

Does Henry come in for Vitoria?

Does Piette come back into the XI?

Does Laryea start a 3rd straight match, or do we give a start to Buchanan?

The only change I see is Henry coming back in for Vitoria, I expect Laryea and Larin to start and will be subbed out for Buchanan and Cav respectively, Piette will come in to shore up the midfield at some point!

Edited by gator

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Correct sir, I bolded the main point. Should have been a bit clearer. Thanks for making it clear.

Edited by apbsmith

10 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

If the game goes to Extra Time and Haiti scores in extra time, we need to score 2x in extra time or we lose, as Haiti would advance on more away goals. 

ie: 1-0 Haiti after 90. In extra time we both score (1-1 in ET) final after Tuesday's game is 2-1 Haiti.  Aggregate becomes 2-2 and Haiti advances with 2 away goals. 

Edit: Important - If we score 1 goal on Tuesday, extra time is impossible, it will only go to extra time if it is 1-0 Haiti after 90 mins. 

Edited by apbsmith

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Believe a number of Concacaf nations had this same issue in the March window. Including Bermuda 

It almost happened with Sam Adekugbe.

I’ve been following this team since gold cup 2000. This game tomorrow is our best chance at the World Cup since then. In 2000 (off the gold cup high) we went into Trinidad and lost badly 4-0. In 2004 Costa Rica came into swangard and beat us 3-1 after we lead 1-0 at the half from a dero goal. We were eliminated. In 2008 we were basically out after drawing to Jamaica and losing to Honduras in our first two matches - both at home. In 2012.. we know what happened and the 2018 cycle really went badly when we could only tie El Salvador 0-0 when they put out a weakened squad for their home game. If we had won that one we would have made the hex even with the 2-1 Honduras loss in the second last game. I think sometimes we need to revisit the past and realize how far we’ve come and how much better this team is now. We have put ourselves in such a good spot this cycle, have scored so many goals (you can only beat who’s in front of you) and haven’t really had a bad game. 

Teams of the past would have a glimmer of hope at times but I think we all knew deep down they weren’t good enough (Hume kind of alluded to this during the post game). I’m excited. Let’s do this and see where we stand after the three September games. We would have Honduras at home, USA away and El Salvador at home.