WCQ: Canada vs Haiti - Tuesday, June 15th, 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago area

20 minutes ago, Alex said:

In 2012.. we know what happened and the 2018 cycle really went badly when we could only tie El Salvador 0-0 when they put out a weakened squad for their home game. If we had won that one we would have made the hex even with the 2-1 Honduras loss in the second last game.

I’ve had a hard time forgiving Larin for the open net he missed in that game which he immediately tried to laugh off.

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I wonder if we knew that some of the Haitian players would not be able to travel to the States.  Seems like a fortunate coincidence.  

Can understand why the Haitians would be pissed (as you can tell from the Tonton Sam comment).

The Haitian FA should have known better. No excuses not to have the logistics worked out at this stage.

Any of the flight experts here want to take a gander at when they could be landing today? I assume that if they missed the charter they've now had to fly commercially and that could be less than ideal timeline wise.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

The Haitian FA should have known better. No excuses not to have the logistics worked out at this stage.

Any of the flight experts here want to take a gander at when they could be landing today? I assume that if they missed the charter they've now had to fly commercially and that could be less than ideal timeline wise.

Agreed, don’t get me wrong, I’m not sympathetic as we were made to travel down to Haiti amidst all the crap going on down there.  But they could have appealed to FIFA to play our home match at a more desirable spot for them.  

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I went back - you are correct.  I believe the WCQ game was the one where Canada actually got outplayed and Borjan stood on his head.

I remember the pitch being a joke and Floro shutting up shop in the 2nd half for a draw.

The other part where we got screwed was Mexico fielded a team of kids against Honduras on matchday 6 when we needed them to win (ideally by a few goals)

7 hours ago, Addona said:

But they could have separate rules for extra time. For example, under current rules, if Haiti wins 2-1 in regulation, they win … no complaints here. But, if they win 1-0 in regulation, we go to ET. And, if Haiti and Canada both score in ET, the score on the night is 2-1, and we lose!  But we’re saying that after regulation, the away goals rule should stop, and in my last scenario, we should be going to penalties. Basically, Haiti is being allowed 30 extra minutes to score away; we only had 90 minutes, they get 120.

I mean... in theory, you'd rather play at home in the final game (does the higher ranked team always get the final home game?). I get what you're saying, but it's still a 2-1 thing. In that same statement (erase COVID) and we'd have 30 extra minutes to score at home with an electric crowd cheering us on.

I'd rather play the 30 minutes than go to penalties - 100 times out of 100.

Edited by Hawkguy

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

If the game goes to Extra Time and Haiti scores in extra time, we need to score 2x in extra time or we lose, as Haiti would advance on more away goals. 

ie: 1-0 Haiti after 90. In extra time we both score (1-1 in ET) final after Tuesday's game is 2-1 Haiti.  Aggregate becomes 2-2 and Haiti advances with 2 away goals. 

Edit: Important - If we score 1 goal on Tuesday, extra time is impossible, it will only go to extra time if it is 1-0 Haiti after 90 mins. 

Yeah, I get it... but there's pros and cons to each. Like an extra 30 minutes in front of a red hot crowd (obviously fuck COVID) but yeah. 

50 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I wonder if we knew that some of the Haitian players would not be able to travel to the States.  Seems like a fortunate coincidence.  

Can understand why the Haitians would be pissed (as you can tell from the Tonton Sam comment).

I'm sure Haiti knew and just hoped restrictions would ease by now. It's happened in plenty of tournaments around the globe in the past few months.

12 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

http://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158095063561188&id=102815076187

The FHF with some story about players not being allowed to fly to the USA because they had been in Europe in the 14 days prior!?!?

Three of those guys will be travelling today instead, while Martin Experience won't be travelling to Chicago at all.

This is making me think of Olympic Qualifying all over again!

My biggest take away from this is that it most likely means that Placide is in the midst of commercial travel today.  That’s going to be a tired goalie tomorrow.

Edited by trc2014

Nerves are normal I think, it's a huge game, but my attitude here is this is a night to be enjoyed and feel glad for for us all who love the CMNT. 

Canada is in a huge game, with a team that's fun to watch, not too long after we missed out on the final round of WCQs in the old system based on FIFA rankings.  Pandemic hits and here we are down the road with a one off neutral venue game against Haiti and a full strength team for a chance at the new hex/ocho.

Every one of us would have been happy to be here back then.

House money at this point, out of all of our control, and worst case scenario we've all got to watch way more meaningful qualifiers than we would have otherwise so crack a beverage of choice yell at the tv and enjoy everybody. 

That said, I do fully expect them to put the boots to Haiti and make the ocho and harbor secret dreams of drinking in some hella overpriced beer garden with some others here in Qatar next year.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Tonton just means "uncle" in a more colloquial use,  it is what children say to their uncles; it has no specific meaning apart from that.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I would’ve hoped for 0-2 win, as going 1 m-0 with an away goal up is a very nervy encounter.  I going to assume Haiti starts the game on an aggressive  attack.  

The first goal in this game will be crucial for us.

I agree. We are not going to be clear until we are two up with 20 minutes left. One up doesn't relieve the pressure, since if they luck into one then they'll push. 

Game management is key.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tonton just means "uncle" in a more colloquial use,  it is what children say to their uncles; it has no specific meaning apart from that.

Tonton macoutes. That's what I will always associate Tonton with

Edited by Kadenge

Haiti is going to play the long ball into or near our box and rely on their big forwards to out muscle our defenders. We are weak at defending set pieces. I would bring in Henry and go with Henry/Vitoria/Kennedy at the back with Johnston at RWB . We give up some offense with Laryea but has he really generated much in terms of attack in the past 2 games? Would hate to see him sit but I think Johnston is a bit outmatched physically with Haiti's forwards.

Enough of the waylaying: this is now our most important match in years and we seem to be coasting.

Let's talk about what we need to do to step things up and get the result we need with a strong performance. We need to go into the 8 on a high note, as that will confirm an upwards curve and give us some confidence going into matches where we'll have to get results against teams on paper better than us.

First, we did not play well enough last Saturday to be overly confident. There were some problems on the pitch and we were nowhere near dominant in all phases of the match. While we are clearly superior, we did not make it look like we were clearly superior for long enough stretches.

The main defect, as I saw it, was that we did not sit in the opponents end with the ball on our feet in a sustained attack. No clear positional dominance. I am not sure if it happened even once. Coming off Aruba and Suriname this was obvious, as in those matches we did have positional control and were confortably looking for attacking options in the final third.

Not against Haiti. An example of this was that Davies felt he needed to start his swerving runs around the centre line, or even on our side of it (about 25 m too early). Another was that we did not have any long shots from the top of the box from the mids. So we had our three hitmen up high, and then Cav on, and that was our attack. 

The team had some problems in the transitions between lines. As Haiti did not pressure too much, Kennedy or Victoria up to Eustaquio worked fine, and then he was supported in close by MAK and Oso. But those three often got stuck. And while not giving it up dangerously, we were not combining through the rival midfield. Whose pressure was only okay, nothing out of this world. I think this is the point Herdman needs to work on the most, how we support the transition with multiple options, all of which are relatively short and lower risk.

I know the argument could be made that by doing this, we avoided Haitian counters. Last GC we got hit back quickly as we boldly went forward with our two-goal lead and got burnt. The only part of the team that was stretched was the attack, the rest stayed tight. So I accept this, but think to be more effective and get our goals, as well as to keep the ball away from Haiti, we need to combine better.

Another small detail: I would prefer to see Stephan taking most free kicks, he's more precise than Davies.

Another: did anyone notice how late, when we had a corner in our favour, Herdman sent Vitoria, Kennedy and Cav into the box, just those three? Wouldn't it make more sense to do short corners and keep everyone in their natural position if you are defending a result?

Finally, I like to see changes to a starting 11, to keep the whole squad sharp and to throw the rival off. Here the players I would touch are either MAK (though he can help defending set pieces) or Oso, and Larin. You could also play a back four with Adekgube and Laryea, take Johnston off. If Hoillet is healthy he might help a lot from the middle. When you have fresh blood the players are keen to show well and we stay sharp overall.