WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

13 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Just read from John Molinaro that Atiba is going back to Istanbul tomorrow.  

This is how I thought it would play our with Atiba. He comes in for the Bermuda match and returns to Turkey right away to recover for the remainder of the international break. Some doubted he would even answer the call due to his age, the travel and the fact Besiktas are fighting for the title. Turns out it was all very workable, as I expected.

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is how I thought it would play our with Atiba. He comes in for the Bermuda match and returns to Turkey right away to recover for the remainder of the international break. Some doubted he would even answer the call due to his age, the travel and the fact Besiktas are fighting for the title. Turns out it was all very workable, as I expected.

I wonder what he'll do in June though, with the Aruba game falling before the Suriname game? 

6 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I wonder what he'll do in June though, with the Aruba game falling before the Suriname game? 

Besiktas’ season will be done, and it’s a 2 week window so I wouldn’t expect him to play a match and leave. If he plans on playing in that window at all, I’d assume he plans to play until after the 2 legs against the winner of the other group (likely Haiti)

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Good question. Was just wondering the same thing myself. The Turkish season will be over by then, and hopefully Atiba has his 3rd title wrapped up. 

I can see him being available for all 4 games in June. He helps us get the job done against Haiti and returns to Turkey to recover and enjoy the summer with his family. He obviously won't be part of the Gold Cup. Should be an easier summer with Canada than 2019. At this time there's no obvious reason to me why he wouldn't be there. 

For what it's worth I think we see Arfield in the June window as well, at the very least for the Haiti games (should we get there).

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And we slot in Kaye to replace him on Sunday, which should be more than adequate. I don't think Kaye was even on the bench yesterday, probably because I think we called more people than we could possibly dress for a WCQ. Reminds us of how ridiculously small the Olympic roster sizes are.

To give the CSA and JH credit, he has managed the player rotation well.  I see the Cayman Islands being no more difficult a challenge than the US Virgin Islands game where we won by a bucketful.  It should be a mix of regulars (Davies, Piette, Hoilett) and some squad guys (Wotherspoon, St Clair/Crepeau, Millar).  Unlike the Bermuda game which I thought could have been closer, this one shouldn’t be.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

And we slot in Kaye to replace him on Sunday, which should be more than adequate. I don't think Kaye was even on the bench yesterday, probably because I think we called more people than we could possibly dress for a WCQ. Reminds us of how ridiculously small the Olympic roster sizes are.

He was listed on the bench by the CSA twitter and apparently Nelson wasn't dressed.

Herdman mentioned in the post game interview (saw it on the Canada Soccer Twitter page) that there will be a lot of squad rotation. He wants to give the other players who haven’t been given a chance in a year and a half to represent their country to go sing the anthem and play. It sounded to me like he plans on almost an entirely different 11, or at least getting everyone in a game from substitute appearances.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:01 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Changed made.

Also,

Dayne St. Clair
Frank Sturing
Cristián Gutierrez
Jayden Nelson

better all play vs the Cayman Islands because our U24 squad (likely) could have used all of them.

It's a WC Qualifier, I rather we not experiment (unless we're 5 goals in)

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida