WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Unless the Cayman Islanders are flying in some replacement players tomorrow, its puzzling as to how a game can be delayed 24 hours due to COVID.

I'm no Covid expert...

I'm assuming that the players that tested positive were basically chilling with players that tested negative.

Assuming they wanted to re-test all the negative cases today as very likely some of those negatives could be positive now?

That would be my guess anyways, hence waiting a day cause of re-testing. 

Just now, apbsmith said:

I'm no Covid expert...

I'm assuming that the players that tested positive were basically chilling with players that tested negative.

Assuming they wanted to re-test all the negative cases today as very likely some of those negatives could be positive now?

That would be my guess anyways, hence waiting a day cause of re-testing. 

True, but it's not always going to show positive within 24 hours. It's not safe to play today then it's not safe to play within 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

True, but it's not always going to show positive within 24 hours. It's not safe to play today then it's not safe to play within 24 hours.

Good point.  

Ya I was only making a theory/speculating for a reason for 24h delay.

Hopefully the official announcement will explain the reason. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Is it even fair to award Canada a 3-0 forfit win? Should Cayman Be punished for having positive cases? Doesn’t seem fair to me.

I don't think either is fair. Super unfortunate situation. 

I agree though, no idea why they just didn't bubble everyone. 

These shannigans are gonna make it harder and harder for clubs to want to release players during windows. Luckily most of our euro guys season is done in June. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

This. Plus if they re-test the players and even more of them test positive, nobody is better off in terms of the game being played. I can only think that a 2nd squad is being flown in to play the game tomorrow as the only thing making sense, not sure how deep the Cayman Islands roster is.

Otherwise, it's completely inconsistent to not play this game and force the Caymans to start with 10 men or whatever as they just did to Haiti (to Canada's detriment) last week in the Olympic qualifiers.

Just now, Obinna said:

Is it even fair to award Canada a 3-0 forfit win? Should Cayman Be punished for having positive cases? Doesn’t seem fair to me.

There is going to be some level of unfairness in how this is resolved regardless.  What if the game is tomorrow and we lose some of our big guns due to pre-existing travel and quarantine arrangements?  It may. It be ideal, but at the end of the day every association is responsible for ensuring that they can fulfil their end of the bargain and field a team.   If CI can’t do that, however unlucky or unfair it may seem, any resulting disadvantage has to target them.   

4 minutes ago, spitfire said:

PCR tests can be conclusive in 6hrs from testing assuming they were retesting players... I get a pcr test every two days on set atm... we do lateral flow tests to the daily labour and we get a result in 20 mins but they aren’t binding tes5 for insurance and I assume FIFA...

Thx for that.  I was hoping for an evening game, figured they could turn tests around in 3-6 hours. 

Assuming it is because of re-testing.

Very likely could be flying in new players. 

Should probably stop speculating until official announcement  I was so fired up for game day also!

Edited by apbsmith

Yeah I highly doubt players like Davies, Theo, etc will be allowed to stay. 

And if that happens it almost diminishes qualifying. You're setting a precedent that you can get weaker opposition with a positive test at the end of an international window. Not that I think anyone is going to purposely become infected but ....

Edited by Hawkguy

5 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Thx for that.  I was hoping for an evening game, figured they could turn tests around in 3-6 hours. 

Assuming it is because of re-testing.

Very likely could be flying in new players. 

Should probably stop speculating until official announcement  I was so fired up for game day also!

Maybe they're hoping to get the game in later tonight after rushing some retests

On 3/20/2021 at 1:47 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

but they don't fly back to the Caymans until Wednesday March 31st (they couldn't fit the whole team on the early flight back!)

Recall that the Cayman Islands don't have to fly back until Wednesday.

I'm not sure when our players head out.

I'm sure the CSA are doing all they can to reschedule; they know about the importance of the goal difference here.

If all the players are in quarantine, re-testing and delaying by 24 hrs then allows them to find any new positive cases.

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Recall that the Cayman Islands don't have to fly back until Wednesday.

I'm not sure when our players head out.

I'm sure the CSA are doing all they can to reschedule; they know about the importance of the goal difference here.

If all the players are in quarantine, re-testing and delaying by 24 hrs then allows them to find any new positive cases.

Except it really doesn't. It allows then to find new positive tests sure, but it also doesn't mean one of the others aren't positive. I've said it before, if it's covid related it makes no sense to play within 24 hours. 

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is going to be some level of unfairness in how this is resolved regardless.  What if the game is tomorrow and we lose some of our big guns due to pre-existing travel and quarantine arrangements?  It may. It be ideal, but at the end of the day every association is responsible for ensuring that they can fulfil their end of the bargain and field a team.   If CI can’t do that, however unlucky or unfair it may seem, any resulting disadvantage has to target them.   

Agree there will be some unfairness, but that’s arguably the most unfair solution. 

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida