WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

Let’s have some fun, shall we?

10-0

Larin x3, Cavallini x2, Corbeanu, Millar, Nelson, Kaye and Ferreira.  5 assists for Davies.

(Was going to say Vitoria off a corner but he may not start this one, so let’s have another debut goal instead 🥳)

Larin and Cavallini pass Vrablic to end up #7 and 8 on the all time list. 

Guesses at lineup and subs:

St. Clair; Gutierrez (Wotherspoon 60’ and drop Davies back), Ferreira, Miller (Sturing 45’), Laryea (Johnston 45’); Davies, Kaye (Nelson 60’), Eustaquio; Larin, Cavallini (Millar 60’), Corbeanu

10 minutes ago, shorty said:

Guesses at lineup and subs:

St. Clair; Gutierrez (Wotherspoon 60’ and drop Davies back), Ferreira, Miller (Sturing 45’), Laryea (Johnston 45’); Davies, Kaye (Nelson 60’), Eustaquio; Larin, Cavallini (Millar 60’), Corbeanu

That was my guess almost to a man, except I had Millar starting over Corbeanu, with Corbeanu coming in.

I do think Herdman starts Piette though, subbing Estaquio on for either he or Kaye.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

That was my guess almost to a man, except I had Millar starting over Corbeanu, with Corbeanu coming in.

I do think Herdman starts Piette though, subbing Estaquio on for either he or Kaye.

Yeah. Couldn’t decide between Wotherspoon or Piette coming on. Seems a shame for Sammy to only get half a game but there really isn’t going to be a need for his break-up skills, I don’t think. Eustaquio is in game form and I’m picturing a game played 90% in the final third. Lots of trying to pick the lock and Eustaquio gives you that. Spoony coming on late gives you right-footed service and he’s in game form too. 

Hesitated on Hoilett too but to be honest I thought that the Bermuda goal wouldn’t have happened without his poor pass choices that led to the counter. Milan gaffe obviously, and Eustaquio not tracking the late runner but really against a Bermuda B team there’s no excuse for catching your own team out with late/sloppy passes. 

Edited by shorty

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Damn.  That is good money.  I may need to sign up somewhere.  What would be one or two of the more reputable sites? 

Due to this thread, I checked with my guy but he wasn't offering this Canada game.   Though he does have Nicaragua -4.5 over Turks & Caicos.  So it's not like he's not offering games from this region or lopsided matchups.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Cayman looked so bad against Suriname - I actually can’t recall a minnow looking worse and I’ve seen so many of them over the years. Even our B lineup should be able to get a goal differential of 4+. 

According to Nations League - they are worse than USVI.  CI beat them twice

12 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

this is no time to f around,jus play your best and blast them,you want that goal diff advantage come june.

Politely disagree. This actually is the time to f around so to speak. Goal differential should only come into play if we plan on a draw vs Suriname. If we do that, I'm not sure we deserve a spot in the world cup to be honest.(don't get me wrong because I do believe Suriname is by far the next best team in this group of qualifying). The argument to mess around with the lineup would be to evaluate players and try things out(maybe even cap a player or two) while the competition is not so difficult(hence why Hutch has gone home). 

I am curious as to which players have been promised time and how Herdman plans to sort all that out. Here is my list of players who will likely play(even though they aren't necessarily the BEST player in their position that is at the game).

GK- Many have said St Clair and I believe that. Crepeau is also a possibility, but someone mentioned Borjan won't even be there so... I suspect Herdman plans to cap St Clair if he has looked good(and not too out of season) in training. Crepeau is the other option but he is also out of season. 

CB- Ferreira has to play. Obviously he won't be match fit, so can't do a whole game, but I suspect he was promised minutes to showcase himself and get signed somewhere(anywhere really) and sitting on the bench or even coming on as a late sub doesn't help him with that. I would say he's gonna play no matter what because we'll want to cap him(even with one time switch rules, we have no idea what changes FIFA is going to do in the future). Also at CB I would think Sturring didn't fly over from the Netherlands to train. Hoping they didn't promise him anything because a pairing of Sturring and Ferreira seems adventurous, even if it is only the Caymans. What it would leave us with is 0 caps between the starting GK and both center backs. I think likely Ferreira and Miller start the game with Sturring coming on for Ferreira around the 60 minute mark.

RB- Johnston I think starts and plays 60 to get more minutes with national team, with Laryea subbing in late and attacking tired legs. I understand the Laryea is a much better attacker but maybe there is something to be said for Allastair over Richie if the CBs are inexperienced... of course that leaves us very inexperienced in the entire back half of the lineup. It's a toss up so maybe Laryea starts then Johnston comes on late or at half.

Mids- I can see Kaye getting the nod here. I know he's out of season but I don't think he came to be sat on the bench for another complete game. I say Kaye plays the majority of the game, Piette subs him out.

Striker- Of course we're all going gaga over Corbeanu, there's alot to love. Still I'm not sure he gets the nod. Look for him to come on late as well. I think Cavalini gets another crack inspite of his many missed opportunities.

Anyone else have thoughts on who else might have been promised time? Or anyone who you think Herdman is leaning towards giving a chance vs minnows?

49 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

this is no time to f around,jus play your best and blast them,you want that goal diff advantage come june.

I would have agreed with you before but after getting a big W over Bermuda and Suriname only beating Cayman Islands by a few, I’m not that worried about GD. Suriname will likely have to play a full strength Bermuda instead of what we just played against, so I don’t expect a 4 goal win for them. And we should be able to win by 3 or more against Cayman Islands with players like Corbeanu and Millar playing. It also helps that we play Aruba after Suriname plays Bermuda, so we will know what we have to beat Aruba by ahead of time.

Edited by archer21

You only make changes as a coach where you think there might have been a deficiency on the field in the last game no? If it ain’t broken then you don’t fix. Friendlies which seem to be something foreign to the CSA is where you experiment with different lineups not actual World Cup qualifying games. You start the same lineup , and no I would still go with a Hoilet to start and even Cavallini , just bring in Kaye for Hutchinson then and go from there .

31 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

You only make changes as a coach where you think there might have been a deficiency on the field in the last game no? If it ain’t broken then you don’t fix. Friendlies which seem to be something foreign to the CSA is where you experiment with different lineups not actual World Cup qualifying games. You start the same lineup , and no I would still go with a Hoilet to start and even Cavallini , just bring in Kaye for Hutchinson then and go from there .

I think you need Cav to start to build some confidence 

I don't feel that strongly one way or the other about a potential lineup for this game. We can't take them too lightly, but at the same time, we probably beat them comfortably regardless of the (reasonable) lineup we put out there, as long as the guys on the field have the right mindset. As for that El Salvador game, someone beat me to it that we didn't take it lightly. Here was the lineup. From Canada Soccer's website which has recently revamped itself and made the lineup harder to find.

"Canada's starting XI featured Milan Borjan in goal, Karl W. Ouimette at right back, Adam Straith and Dejan Jakovic at centre back, Marcel de Jong at left back, and Julian de Guzman, Will Johnson, Atiba Hutchinson, Tosaint Ricketts, Junior Hoilett, and Cyle Larin from the midfield up through to the attack."

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't feel that strongly one way or the other about a potential lineup for this game. We can't take them too lightly, but at the same time, we probably beat them comfortably regardless of the (reasonable) lineup we put out there, as long as the guys on the field have the right mindset. As for that El Salvador game, someone beat me to it that we didn't take it lightly. Here was the lineup. From Canada Soccer's website which has recently revamped itself and made the lineup harder to find.

We don't need to just beat them, we need to completely crush them to fully keep Suriname at bay.

An all Out Attack - 3-2-5 going forward today. 

As discussed on the new podcast episode: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1072288/8224730

Davies -------Cavallini----------Laryea

-------Millar----------Corbeanu-------

---------Kaye------Eustaquio------

Miller-----------Ferreira----------Sturing

---------------St.Clair------------------

38 minutes ago, Beer and Footy said:

An all Out Attack - 3-2-5 going forward today. 

As discussed on the new podcast episode: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1072288/8224730

Davies -------Cavallini----------Laryea

-------Millar----------Corbeanu-------

---------Kaye------Eustaquio------

Miller-----------Ferreira----------Sturing

---------------St.Clair------------------

It could work but unless Larin flew back to Turkey.... No way you leave Larin out of the lineup, his current form is pure class right now.

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida