WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Thanks for doing a run down. I listened to it to.

One thing of note is that their travel is going to be brutal.

In the video they mentioned that some players would be travelling to Suriname separately. That must be their English based players. I noticed in that team pic there are only 14 players.

English based players? Do they have any?

21 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

English based players? Do they have any?

I thought they might but now I'm not sure if I'm confusing them with another Caribbean nation.

When I went to go check wikipedia today their squad for Nations League was all domestic.

The crazy thing is that FIFA has made the first tiebreaker overall goal difference in the group instead of head to head. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#Tiebreakers

This essentially means we have to run up the score as much as possible.  Hopefully the players and coaches are fully aware of this while being more self aware than the US women were in tempering celebrations.  

12 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The crazy thing is that FIFA has made the first tiebreaker overall goal difference in the group instead of head to head. 

This essentially means we have to run up the score as much as possible.  Hopefully the players and coaches are fully aware of this while being more self aware than the US women were in tempering celebrations.  

Isn’t this pretty standard practice? Did they use head to head in prior years?

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

And an added twist might be matches being forfeit due to covid. 

Although I'm not totally sure what the rule is if that happens 

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/how-a-31-year-old-from-suffolk-is-transforming-the-cayman-islands 

Cool article looking at what Cayman Islands is doing with their program.

Interesting to see how young the squad is.

Funny to me that someone from England talks of "living in a different country" when the Caymans are a part of the UK. The UK is a country with too many countries in it! :P

How I think we line up vs Cayman Islands:

this lineup for me is a little more experimental. For full rotation you can slide Wotherspoon in for either Kaye/Piette depending on who starts the first game. This squad is missing a creative midfielder, so I decided to put Nelson at the 10 spot as I know the gaffer had been giving him reps there at our January camp. Davies gets the start again because we will need the strength to help our GD, Corbeanu will be the first to replace him maybe even as early as half. Ferreira gets the start because as stated in the Bermuda thread by JasonDias, Herdman will want to showcase him. All in all, more then enough strength here to get the job done.

Edit: if Stephen Eustaquio wants to play another game in a short time for us, then he is a for sure starter. 

DCC552D3-7680-4DBB-A340-08ADB2265FDB.jpeg

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

2 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

...and they have the Can/Hon game Feb.25? And how is the 1A VS 2B game on Mar.25?

Just noticed that. The time is wrong on that Honduras game too.

Fifa website is showing the Cayman match at 4pm too so it is correct 

Edited by narduch

I notice someone in the graphics dept (okay, sorry, THE person who does the graphics) is also a little heavy-handed with the apostrophes. Anyone else notice that?  ie Men””s Olympic Qualifiers.

At first it was just two which is an easy mistake to make, but then I started to see four, lol. 

Hey @Olympique_de_Marseillefor the sake of neatness/and future searches when we look back on some of these threads,for reference. Can you specify in the titles that it’s World Cup Qualifier, or WCQ...it’s possible that we could play them again (Bermuda specifically) in the Gold Cup or in Nations League.  Haiti too as well (u23, wcq play-in, and the gc)

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Sunday, March 28th 4pm Eastern/1pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida
Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Explains why he played a full match. It would have been nice to give him a few minutes vs the Caymans to help break that cap record but oh well. :(

Larin on the same flight?

Don’t know but his name wasn’t mentioned.

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to WCQ: Cayman Islands vs Canada - Monday, March 29th 6pm Eastern/3pm Pacific - IMG Academy Florida