Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

3 hours ago, Tyler55 said:

Here's some more context to add to the story.

I think this is only partially true, in 1988 I was coaching a Stoney Creek rep team which played in a very competitive Hamilton and District Youth Soccer League, we were very successful in international tournaments and participated in training sessions with the Hamilton Steelers of the pro league CSL! I would be willing to bet everyone of our players aspired to play at that level eventually, the CSL didn't last but to say soccer didn't exist is inaccurate, there were many good youth teams and leagues! Any super talented youth player could get a NCAA full board scholarship or try their luck in Europe, of course with LG1 Ontario and the CPL there are many more opportunities today but there are many more players competing for these spots!

58 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Yeah he isn't short of confidence that's for sure.

All he needs is for an agent to be sitting on a decent pro offer and the financial line items clear in the contract, and he'll tone it down as much as the agent requires.

If you are told your yapping is costing your kid money that usually motivates a different approach. 

46 minutes ago, gator said:

I think this is only partially true, in 1988 I was coaching a Stoney Creek rep team which played in a very competitive Hamilton and District Youth Soccer League, we were very successful in international tournaments and participated in training sessions with the Hamilton Steelers of the pro league CSL! I would be willing to bet everyone of our players aspired to play at that level eventually, the CSL didn't last but to say soccer didn't exist is inaccurate, there were many good youth teams and leagues! Any super talented youth player could get a NCAA full board scholarship or try their luck in Europe, of course with LG1 Ontario and the CPL there are many more opportunities today but there are many more players competing for these spots!

So true in 1988 I was also coaching an under 14 boys born in 74  in Toronto, and we had a damn good team and some very good players at the 74 age group and even 75 age group , yes not the same opportunities as today but a lot of talented kids and soccer was already huge at the youth level.

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

So true in 1988 I was also coaching an under 14 boys born in 74  in Toronto, and we had a damn good team and some very good players at the 74 age group and even 75 age group , yes not the same opportunities as today but a lot of talented kids and soccer was already huge at the youth level.

I'm not sure where he lived but I was involved with the provincial program in Ontario and knew most of the 75's, he may have been a 74 or from another province or maybe overlooked because that name doesn't ring a bell!

Moving beyond the Steelers who were reasonably high profile in Hamilton around 1988 if that's where he was living at that point, the Forge isn't the first club with Hamilton connections to play in CONCACAF's premier club competition. The Serbian White Eagles (founded in Hamilton but later based in Etobicoke) played Monterrey in 1975. Vaguely remember them making a brief comeback in the NSL around 1990 and playing in Hamilton at that point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_White_Eagles_FC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_CONCACAF_Champions'_Cup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_National_Soccer_League_season

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

"Mitrovic also confirmed that his camp are looking into whether a one-time switch needs to be filed to play the friendly."

What does that mean?  He doesn't want to file the switch for the friendly but if he does well he would file to play in WCQ just a few days later?  Would there be time for the switch to be processed in such a short time frame?

3 minutes ago, ray said:

"Mitrovic also confirmed that his camp are looking into whether a one-time switch needs to be filed to play the friendly."

What does that mean?  He doesn't want to file the switch for the friendly but if he does well he would file to play in WCQ just a few days later?  Would there be time for the switch to be processed in such a short time frame?

Smart from his camp. Chances are he won't make the WCQ squad so if he can maintain his eligibility for Serbia and play vs. Guatemala it's a smart move.

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Smart from his camp. Chances are he won't make the WCQ squad so if he can maintain his eligibility for Serbia and play vs. Guatemala it's a smart move.

It may or may not be smart depending on the timing.  If he does well in the camp/friendly, there is a pretty good chance Herdman might want to get him into a squad in January.  But if he bust it close with the one time switch, he risks missing out in the January window that happens immediately thereafter.