Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is his brother so pretty good odds he does want to play for Canada. 

wait was there any doubt about this? lol.....

His fathers initial response showed that passion through frustration of his will to play for Canada. 
Typically we've seen parents vocally do the opposite and push for their kid to not play for Canada and play for their country of birth. 

My thing with this whole ordeal concerning him is that he wasn't even called to the U23. Over the likes of Aidan Daniels.

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

wait was there any doubt about this? lol.....

His fathers initial response showed that passion through frustration of his will to play for Canada. 
Typically we've seen parents vocally do the opposite and push for their kid to not play for Canada and play for their country of birth. 

My thing with this whole ordeal concerning him is that he wasn't even called to the U23. Over the likes of Aidan Daniels.

Possibly yes. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a country snubs a player only for them to commit to another program. Scotland snubbed Arfield, we capped him, and then they all regretted that they lost a good player. Happens quite often I reckon.

3 minutes ago, frmr said:

Possibly yes. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a country snubs a player only for them to commit to another program. Scotland snubbed Arfield, we capped him, and then they all regretted that they lost a good player. Happens quite often I reckon.

I'm not doubting that....

but if Canada calls him up he will definitely accept the call and play for his country where he grew up in without a doubt.

@CanadaFan123 made mention of "This is his brother so pretty good odds he does want to play for Canada. " 

Is what I referencing...there can't be any doubt that he want's to play for Canada.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jordan said:

On Serbia’s bench this morning for the qualifier against Ukraine U21

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I sure hope he is called to a Jan camp

It won't likely happen now because U21 is competitive matches and he has finally played one for Serbia.

A one-time-switch would now be required to bring him in and those usually take a few months to process.

That's fairly common in general, not just with dual national dads. I am Serbian myself and I could draw up an infinite list of players whose promising careers were derailed completely by their overly ambitious dads (or even sometimes their moms). 

One of the most prominent examples is Filip Jankovic, who made his debut for Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade) at age 16.  His mother had some disagreements with the club as to his playing time and his future so she ended up negotiating his departure to Parma FC in Italy, which was obviously a premature move. From then on it all went downhill and he now plays in the Slovenian second tier even though he is just 26 years old. There are other examples, Danilo Pantic and Andrija Zivkovic just to name a few, although the latter seems to have gotten his career back on track somewhat. 

Then you even have players like Adrien Rabiot whose mother is still holding him by the hand and making every decision for him.

That being said, I don't think Stefan's dad is wrong. Stefan probably should have been called for the 60-man list (I thought it was 50, but whatever). Hopefully it is not too late. 

I figured the only reason Mitrovic wasn't on the U23 list for this cycle was because he's eligible for it in 2024. AFAIK we only had Dias who was a 2024 eligible player be on that team. The rest were 1997-2000 guys.

Although I will agree there's no reason he shouldn't have been in the prelim roster which had a bunch of 2001-2002 guys.

46 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Does he? He seems pretty pro Serbia.

His brother is on social media clearly stating he'd take a Canadian call up and he's also been seen liking multiple comments on tweets or instagram comments from Canadians encouraging him to play for us. Unless its one truly dysfunctional family, I don't think his brother would do this if they were pushing him towards representing Serbia. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another goal for Mitrovic this weekend as they move up to 6th place in the Serbian League. Cheeky tag to @Canucks_Abroad from his dad's twitter as well.

IMO this is the most urgent player we should be worried about losing, I can definitely see Serbia calling him up to friendlies in the next window. I definitely would like to see guys like Jebbison, Dias, Flores etc in red but I don't see England, Portugal or Mexico calling them up for meaningful (cap-tying) matches anytime soon.

2 hours ago, urdiub said:

Another goal for Mitrovic this weekend as they move up to 6th place in the Serbian League. Cheeky tag to @Canucks_Abroad from his dad's twitter as well.

IMO this is the most urgent player we should be worried about losing, I can definitely see Serbia calling him up to friendlies in the next window. I definitely would like to see guys like Jebbison, Dias, Flores etc in red but I don't see England, Portugal or Mexico calling them up for meaningful (cap-tying) matches anytime soon.

I don't think he's anywhere near a Serbia call up.  I think we are making him up to be bigger than he is at the moment just because he's a duel-citizen.  Getting called to a U21 side is great but he wasn't a starter on that team.  Just within the domestic league there are so many players in the #10/#7 positions that are more highly rated, then you add in the ones playing across Europe.  

That being said, I wish we had more camps outside of the senior team to be able to evaluate these types of players.  

Edited by Footyeh

On 11/4/2021 at 10:27 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

This is his brother so pretty good odds he does want to play for Canada. 

However, since Serbia they did qualify for Qatar, I wonder if they look at him for Qatar? Canada we too are on pace to qualify and if that happens, it creates quite the scenario doesn't it?