Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

I think he’s ours. His dad was tweeting out clips of his days in Canada earlier this afternoon. Maybe all sentimental about his sons call?

i find it interesting how early offers are going out, guess they need time for the one time switches. Wonder who else got the calls already 

The talks probably accelerated after his form picked up and he was called to Serbia's youth side. I would imagine for other young duals (Jebbo, Flores, Dias) there is constant communication as Nef has alluded to on Northern Futbol. It makes sense they would start sending offers now especially considering the need for one time switches in some cases.

As much as I hope he ends up being a great player, does anyone else feel weird about the whole situation? The player has obviously had to work hard to get to where he is, but also it seems like this whole process has been accelerated by his dad whining on social media and the Serbia callup seemed to be used to put more pressure on Canada. Gives me big shades of the politics of hockey parents.

I wonder if this is more similar to the Flores rumoured callup, giving him a chance to experience the camp.

Edited by Pottsy3

2 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

As much as I hope he ends up being a great player, does anyone else feel weird about the whole situation? The player has obviously had to work hard to get to where he is, but also it seems like this whole process has been accelerated by his dad whining on social media and the Serbia callup seemed to be used to put more pressure on Canada. Gives me big shades of the politics of hockey parents.

I wonder if this is more similar to the Flores rumoured callup, giving him a chance to experience the camp.

I think the Marcelo ordeal is different. Everyone knows the father wants his kid to play for Mexico and is using Canada to accelerate the process.

Stefan's situation is a little more perplexing. Is his father using Serbia to pressure Canada or using Canada to pressure Serbia? surely he must have a favourite between the 2. He hasn't really revealed it on social media from what I've seen.

4 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

I think the Marcelo ordeal is different. Everyone knows the father wants his kid to play for Mexico and is using Canada to accelerate the process.

Stefan's situation is a little more perplexing. Is his father using Serbia to pressure Canada or using Canada to pressure Serbia? surely he must have a favourite between the 2. He hasn't really revealed it on social media from what I've seen.

Sorry I was comparing the callup to Flores in the sense that we don't expect Flores to play in any matches but just to be in camp. Wasn't comparing the father situation.

For Mitrovic, it had seemed pretty clear that he wants his son to play for Serbia as shown by his continual disappointment in not being called to Canada and his brother stating he would accept any Canada call even after the Serbia U21 appearance.

Edited by Pottsy3

18 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I know what you're saying, but it personally doesn't give me the heevy jeevies.

I don't necessarily like it, and I wouldn't have handled it that way, but at the same time I get the father's frustration. The player's call is overdue, just my opinion. 

I guess the CSA had their reasons, but if anything is weird to me it's that it took this long for him to be called. 

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

For Mitrovic, it had seemed pretty clear that he wants his son to play for Serbia as shown by his continual disappointment in not being called to Canada and his brother stating he would accept any Canada call even after the Serbia U21 appearance.

Do you have the disappointment logic backward here, Pottsy3? Maybe, maybe not, but I wonder which Mitrovic, Dad or brother, has the true insider information on Stefan's wish for international soccer.  For me, it's Stefan for Canada!

4 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Was it the 60 man preliminary GC squad he was left off of that started all this? Or was in that January camp? Either way it was odd he wasn't included in it given some of the names that made it on. 

It was the 60 man preliminary GC list which included several players who had no chance to make the squad and Mitrovic senior was pretty upset. I cannot say that I blame him as the "lower" part of that list was approaching weakness in ability. Hopefully, his anger is a thing of the past and Stefan suits up for the senior CMNT.

Just now, Stoppage Time said:

It was the 60 man preliminary GC list which included several players who had no chance to make the squad and Mitrovic senior was pretty upset. I cannot say that I blame him as the "lower" part of that list was approaching weakness in ability. Hopefully, his anger is a thing of the past and Stefan suits up for the senior CMNT.

Him missing out on the olympic 50 man list was worse in my opinion. With all due respect to the cpl players and even the MLS academy/first team guys, Mitrovic should have definitely made the 50 man list at least. 

1 minute ago, Tyler55 said:

Him missing out on the olympic 50 man list was worse in my opinion. With all due respect to the cpl players and even the MLS academy/first team guys, Mitrovic should have definitely made the 50 man list at least. 

Tyler55, I stand corrected! It was the 50 man Olympic squad - my error. And, you are correct, it was an error to leave Mitrovic off of that list.

6 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Had to have been a scouting error as silly as that sounds. How do you leave him off a 50 man U23 roster? Even with our best included he still makes it.

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Geez I am getting confused between the threads, is this about Mitrovic, Dias, Flores or Jebbison?  Which one had a Dad who whigged out on twitter??  Hmmm, that doesn narrow it down eh?   Its all a bit of a Yankov........

I have the same feeling about these guys' threads as I did to the stickied ones during the qualifiers.  I just wish they would disappear for a while so I can get right to the important stuff.  I don't know how can there be so many posts about nothing and years away from anything happening.  And if folks will recall we had a whole thread discussing how many of these can't miss kids actually do "miss"

Anyway, I'm one of the first to say if you don't like it don't read it so I guess we'll just keep grinning and bearing it.