Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I just hope people don't lose their shit if January turns out to be not so fun, it could happen.

By fun I mean potential duels, January transfers, camp poutine and the qualifiers. 

I am also being optimistic. I know that for some of us it is difficult to be optimistic after decades of futility. I guess I have drank the Herdman kool-aid. 

38 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I don't know any better than anyone else on here, except maybe @spitfireand @Ian Kennedy.  The number of late bloomers in professional sports is also quite factual.

The amount of late bloomers doesn't change the fact that he was snubbed on multiple lists that he should have been on.

There had to be something else going on for him not to be on both the 60 man Gold Cup preliminary roster and the 50 man Olympic Qualifying preliminary roster.

2 hours ago, Xavier. said:

The amount of late bloomers...

...also arguably isn't even applicable here if he was breaking through into the Serbian Super Liga at 18/19. That terminolgy is normally applied to players who emerge in that sort of way into their twenties. If he does get a big move in the upcoming transfer window, questions should be asked by the relevant pro level clubs and national programs about why he wasn't identified as a top prospect at around 16 or so in a Canadian context and had to go back to Serbia. 

On 12/26/2021 at 1:08 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The latest sources from Serbia says he's getting interest from Benfica, Freiburg, Ghent, Strasbourg and Getafe. In that order. 

Don't like unless you get this post. 

Since this is one of my best posts ever, like ever ever, and no one seemed to get it, I'll give you some help:

https://www.transfermarkt.es/stefan-mitrovic/profil/spieler/143029

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Would love a Buchanan-Mitrovic duo at Brugge, though I wonder if the competition for places would be tougher than at Red Star? 

Either way, sound like he's down for the Canada cause, and it sounds like he'll be joining a bigger club. Exciting times regardless of where his destination is. 

Difference between Brugge and Red Star is bigger than you might think. And they difference between NIS and Brugge should be huge. Won't be an easy move

7 minutes ago, Thomdev said:

Difference between Brugge and Red Star is bigger than you might think. And they difference between NIS and Brugge should be huge. Won't be an easy move

I don't know about the level of play, but shining in Belgium puts the spotlight on a player from the big leagues. A perfect small step to make a bigger one later. 

On 12/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...but it's also simply factual in this particular case unless of course you know better?

It's actually not if you know anything about professional paths. Plenty of players don't make squads, get cut, sign elsewhere, make it back. In the real world you can't hold grudges with every coach who didn't recognize your genius. Only in Canada we're not allowed to make such "errors", and our kids can't ever hear the words "put your head down and work". 

It's only going to get "worse" for our national program by the way, more and more talented kids are going to be left out because our pool and teams are getting better. 

2 hours ago, Thomdev said:

Niš rather than NIS for what it's worth and I'm not convinced on the first part. Red Star's recent performances in European competition are not drastically different from top Belgian clubs.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/trank2022.html

Main difference would probably be that there is more quality in depth in the Belgian league but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier to be a regular starter if you are at one of the very top clubs.