Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's actually not if you know anything about professional paths. Plenty of players don't make squads, get cut, sign elsewhere, make it back. In the real world you can't hold grudges with every coach who didn't recognize your genius. Only in Canada we're not allowed to make such "errors", and our kids can't ever hear the words "put your head down and work". 

It's only going to get "worse" for our national program by the way, more and more talented kids are going to be left out because our pool and teams are getting better. 

Bizarre stuff given my point was only that he did get cut. If he does make the national team and receive the big transfer the rational thing for the various organizations involved to do would be to review any old tapes they have and see if the decisions they made were reasonable at the time and decide on that basis whether they need to revise their methods in some way. All the stuff about grudges and Canadians not being allowed to make errors has nothing to do with anything I've written. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Niš rather than NIS for what it's worth and I'm not convinced on the first part. Red Star's recent performances in European competition are not drastically different from top Belgian clubs.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/trank2022.html

Main difference would probably be that there is more quality in depth in the Belgian league but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier to be a regular starter if you are at one of the very top clubs.

I agree that if he goes to Belgium he is not going to be blown away by the pace, or physicality, or tactics. He'd adjust well. Just as Tajon is not going to have big problems. 

Now if you go to a big 4-5 league you may have to adjust a bit more. 

Overall, from my experience, the players from the Balkans have the least problems of any foreign players coming into Spain, to give an example. They are not even behind younger Argentines. You'd say they are coming from more modest leagues, but they are prepared competitively, they are even flexible linguistically. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Camp Poutine getting cancelled hurts because I can’t see us bringing in Stefan for any of the qualifiers even if he does make a move to a higher level. I think we may see him for the first team in Nations League 

I'm sure we'll get an update from Ivan soon enough

Translation from the FTBL.Serbia Insta Post: It looks like a serious fight has started for this guy. Stefan Mitrović is the target of Red Star, Partizan, but also Bruges! Belgian media write that Bruges has already started the action and that his offer is financially stronger than the "eternal ones". But what would be best for this 19-year-old footballer? By the way, his contract with Radnički expires only in June 2023, so that the people of Niš would also benefit from a possible sale. One thing is for sure - Mitrovic is a real refreshment under the football sky of Serbia and without a doubt he was one of the best young players in the Super League in the autumn half-season. It would be a real shame to replace the jersey with the Serbian one, with the one with the Canadian coat of arms ...

6 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Nef on multiple occasions now has said Stefan is fully committed to Canada, it would be a bit of heartbreak if he still ended up with Serbia 

I am not banking on any of the duals - too many near misses and heartbreaks.  If one or more of them pull on the maple leaf - awesome.  But until then it is just emotional blackmail.  

5 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Nef on multiple occasions now has said Stefan is fully committed to Canada, it would be a bit of heartbreak if he still ended up with Serbia 

Let's be frank though, the only reason that is the case is because Serbia hasn't shown any real interest yet.

Can't take any chances, Herdman has to call him up this window and Cap-tie him so we can get this impending international battle out of the way quick.

Just now, Matro25 said:

Let's be frank though, the only reason that is the case is because Serbia hasn't shown any real interest yet.

Can't take any chances, Herdman has to call him up this window and Cap-tie him so we can get this impending international battle out of the way quick.

There isn't going to be any international battle, either he wants to play for Canada or he doesn't and if he doesn't f 'em.  We don't do the begging thing anymore, you buy into the commitment or you don't.  If he's smart, he'll see that he would have a good future with the CMNT and his buddy Theo.

24 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

There isn't going to be any international battle, either he wants to play for Canada or he doesn't and if he doesn't f 'em.  We don't do the begging thing anymore, you buy into the commitment or you don't.  If he's smart, he'll see that he would have a good future with the CMNT and his buddy Theo.

The future of CanMNT is bright, but it takes time to get the word out. Our Soccer reputation at the moment globally is down the gutter. Nobody took Belgium seriously until the 2014 in Brazil and nothing we do regionally will matter either if we don't make the World cup. 

The next Marcelo, Daniel, and Stefan won't think twice after 2022 but we got to play our cards right for 2 more cycles and then we can be the team players beg to be apart of.

Edited by Matro25

10 hours ago, Matro25 said:

The future of CanMNT is bright, but it takes time to get the word out. Our Soccer reputation at the moment globally is down the gutter. Nobody took Belgium seriously until the 2014 in Brazil and nothing we do regionally will matter either if we don't make the World cup. 

The next Marcelo, Daniel, and Stefan won't think twice after 2022 but we got to play our cards right for 2 more cycles and then we can be the team players beg to be apart of.

what? 

It's highest it's been in 20 years. 

Not true.  In his interview with Nef & Galindo, he said he has talked to the Serbian NT and they have been to watch his games.  Plus, he was called to the serbian U21s.  How can there be no interest shown?

I would maintain the exact opposite.  Phonzie got more attention on our program than any time in recent history, and David’s subsequent success only strengthened the case for Canadian soccer.   Throw in the recent results within the region and I think our reputation is probably at an all time high globally.   As long as we finish the job and qualify for Qatar I think you will see a buzz surrounding Canadian footy that is absolutely unprecedented.  The fact that we are even in the conversation about many of these duals is testament to that.  Flores choosing Canada or Mexico?   That is only even a debate because of what is happening right now.  

None of this is to say that we are global footy rockstars or anything - but relative to where we have been we are riding a wave that has more momentum than anytime in the 25+ years I have been following the CMNT.  

I listen to a lot of podcasts and I've heard it a couple of times that if we make the WC, countries aren't going to think they are going to have an easy time playing us.  If we get there it won't be a repeat of the last one (no wins, no goals)  I keep saying if we get there because we have a tough schedule ahead and Mexico has it a lot easier than us so they can gain momentum while we lose it.  As usual my policy is, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would maintain the exact opposite.  Phonzie got more attention on our program than any time in recent history, and David’s subsequent success only strengthened the case for Canadian soccer.   Throw in the recent results within the region and I think our reputation is probably at an all time high globally.   As long as we finish the job and qualify for Qatar I think you will see a buzz surrounding Canadian footy that is absolutely unprecedented.  The fact that we are even in the conversation about many of these duals is testament to that.  Flores choosing Canada or Mexico?   That is only even a debate because of what is happening right now.  

None of this is to say that we are global footy rockstars or anything - but relative to where we have been we are riding a wave that has more momentum than anytime in the 25+ years I have been following the CMNT.  

Maybe I used an exaggerated tone, but my point was that we're in no position to be shrugging off these 2nd generation kids who still have a connection to where their parents were born and bred just because we think we've made it. We haven't even won a regional trophy yet and haven't done so in decades.

Everyone heard the interview where Davies was talking about his teammates joking about what Canada has done lately. Things are changing now but unless we book our ticket to Qatar it means nothing.

Lets not give Stefan the opportunity to have second thoughts and cap-tie him instead of questioning whether he's a true Canadian or not. 

Edited by Matro25

40 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

Maybe I used an exaggerated tone, but my point was that we're in no position to be shrugging off these 2nd generation kids who still have a connection to where their parents were born and bred just because we think we've made it. We haven't even won a regional trophy yet and haven't done so in decades.

Everyone heard the interview where Davies was talking about his teammates joking about what Canada has done lately. Things are changing now but unless we book our ticket to Qatar it means nothing.

Lets not give Stefan the opportunity to have second thoughts and cap-tie him instead of questioning whether he's a true Canadian or not. 

Most of these duals are not "2nd generation kids who still have a connection to where their parents were born and bred".

Mitrovic has lived 17 out of 19 years in Canada

Flores has lived 14 out of 18 years in Canada

Jebbison has lived 14 out of 18 years in Canada

These players have strong connections to Canada.