Stefan Mitrovic

Blackjack15

4 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Technically we don't know but I feel like Ivan wouldn't do a big announcement to say he got invited to camp poutine doesn't make much sense.

And that second tweet sounds like Stefan made his decision. Why hype the federation up just for a friendly? he's apart of the program now by the looks of it.

5 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

Technically we don't know but I feel like Ivan wouldn't do a big announcement to say he got invited to camp poutine doesn't make much sense.

Agree, I'm sure the switch will be completed before the January window, his club will be on break till February 11, so maybe the agreement is, Camp Poutine and if he is in game shape and shows well, he would be added to the WCQ roster.  Herdman working his magic.

13 minutes ago, Tyler55 said:

I don’t want to invoke his wrath but after going off on social media a while back I am not sure I would read too much into the tweets other than the idea that some sort of invitation has been extended.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

5 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Agree, I'm sure the switch will be completed before the January window, his club will be on break till February 11, so maybe the agreement is, Camp Poutine and if he is in game shape and shows well, he would be added to the WCQ roster.  Herdman working his magic.

That would be the ideal scenario.   

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

I haven't seen an awful lot of his play, so where do folks think he currently sits in our depth chart and what sort of potential does he have? 

Here's some of his play from last year. Currently I'd say he's behind Hoilett and Oso at the 10 by default because it's difficult to judge when he's never played for us. I think he could end up in a top 5 league in the next few years he has the ability to take up great positions and link play like Oso but he is also very dynamic and can take players on 1 v 1 successfully. Serbia exports a lot of talent, especially if he does well for Canada in the next 2-3 years I could see him moving on.

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I haven't seen an awful lot of his play, so where do folks think he currently sits in our depth chart and what sort of potential does he have? 

That's why I don't get too excited about these kids who have hardly done anything yet.  I'm still trying to find a place for Millar and Corbeanu.

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's why I don't get too excited about these kids who have hardly done anything yet.  I'm still trying to find a place for Millar and Corbeanu.

You keep trying, this kid doesnt have anything to do with that.  Looks like he is a 10, that would take on of the middle slots, over Oso or mb kaye (dont really have a 10), running the offense.  He would fill a spot that we are thin at.  And playing in the serbian top league starting at 18 and playing well..that doesnt count as not doing anything.  The kid is doing what he needs to do, progressing....if we can ge exicted about MLS prospects that havnt done anything, we can give this kid some love too.  

1 minute ago, PiedPilko said:

I'd be perfectly fine with a move to the big 2 in Serbia - those are good teams. We don't have any other 10's in his age range. 

He can do better than that in my opinion Nef mentioned last summer unnamed (bigger) clubs were watching him. Serbia is a hotbed for talent, look at their current national team almost all of them came through the Serbian league at some point and earned a move. If he keeps showing well, scoring and assisting while continuing to improve other aspects of his game he could be next, he's only 19 after all.

1 hour ago, Tyler55 said:

Full circle with the second tweet!

Yeah that second tweet is bigger for me.  Players love a coach who is straight with you.  I’ve worked around hockey and the NHL for years.  The perception is John Tortarella is a jack ass of a coach, but former players always say they liked him because he was straight and honest with them and where they stand.  Seems like Herdman does that, lays his cards on the table and backs it up with actions.  No b.s. or broken promises.  Appears Mitrovic is getting the respect players are seeking, nothing more, nothing less 

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You keep trying, this kid doesnt have anything to do with that.  Looks like he is a 10, that would take on of the middle slots, over Oso or mb kaye (dont really have a 10), running the offense.  He would fill a spot that we are thin at.  And playing in the serbian top league starting at 18 and playing well..that doesnt count as not doing anything.  The kid is doing what he needs to do, progressing....if we can ge exicted about MLS prospects that havnt done anything, we can give this kid some love too.  

Yeah he plays in a position we're not really deep in. Holliet plays as a 10 for Canada but that's not really his natural spot. 

Eustaquio is really our only playmaking midfielder and technically he operates more as a box to box midfielder.

26 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I'd be perfectly fine with a move to the big 2 in Serbia - those are good teams. We don't have any other 10's in his age range. 

Not true actually, but the others in his range (Flores and Dias, both 2003s, a year younger) are far from sure bets to play for us. 

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

Mitrovic’s Father with the confirmation 

The guy suffers from verbal incontinence. And he does not understand basic protocols. In contrast to the vast majority of soccer dads, moms, friends and reps.

The camp announcement is the CSA's prerogative and you should not be advancing news that pertains to the association you are going to play for. When the CSA is ready, they release the information to press, officially, then you can talk about it. 

That is also part of being part of the life a pro soccer player, as I see it. If he were to be injured, then he would not appear, and the CSA would have absolutely no obligation to give any excuses or either confirm or deny he was on an original list. 

I'm not sour on this move, I am thrilled. But it is important to respect how the programme works, and not interfere, in either direction. 

(I am going to speculate here, but I think a factor in him chosing Canada is this: he's seen how things are run in Serbian football. I am speaking about the business side of things. He is likely being paid under the table, has verbal promises for salary and other benefits that are not in any contract, and realises that there is a certain degree of informality behind the façade of finer performance all around from the players and coaches.)

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Not true actually, but the others in his range (Flores and Dias, both 2003s, a year younger) are far from sure bets to play for us. 

He's the only one playing against grown men in a top tier league, and as you said, the only one who seems committed to us.

Edited by PiedPilko

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I generally agree (though I have gotten swept up in the hype before).  But the difference here for me is the position.   Millar and Corbeanu have the misfortune of playing in positions where we have the most young talent playing at high levels.  They are competing with Davies, Buchanan, Laryea and even Shaff.  It is a great problem for us to have but they will have to work like crazy to get consistent playing time for the next number of years.  Contrast that with CM (non-defensive) or an outright CAM where we have a pool of generally aging vets - Hoilett plays there some, Oso, Arfield, Hutch etc.  A great group of players but the average age isn’t inspiring.  Aside from Kaye, some lower profile guys (Fraser) and a few unproven prospects (Okello, Nelson etc) there isn’t a lot there.   Thus there should be lots of opportunities for young guys in that area over the next decade.  That is why a guy like Mitrovic (or Ferdi, Flores or Dias) tends to get people excited - it would be a potentially big “get” in terms of succession planning. At least that is my $0.02

EDIT:  the problem with replying before you read all the comments is that you may just repeat what @Bison44said.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

I thnik mitrovic's Dad is just a big coffee drinker.  He gets a little worked up with his morning expresso and cant hold in his excitement for his kid.  I dont know how Spitfire or Kennedy's Dad can know these kinds of things and sit on them, when there is so much speculation going on.  I guess its what UT was talking about, protocols that most parents understand and are more discreet.