Joel Waterman

nolando

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine there are lots of fringe pro dudes in this country who see Waterman's CPL > MLS > World Cup progression and are like damn, maybe I can do that. Amazing for the league and the game in this country. How many Jamie Vardys slip through the cracks when you don't have enough domestic tiers.

Edited by Lansdude

Just now, Lansdude said:

Imagine there are lots of fringe pro dudes in this country who see Waterman's CPL > MLS > World Cup progression and are like damn, maybe I can do that. Good for the league and the game. How many Jamie Vardys slip through the cracks when you don't have enough domestic tiers.

Agreed. I have a nephew - hear me out now😅 - who is absolutely beyond STOKED that guys who played in the CPL are on this WC squad. He's watched them play in his hometown. He's got autographs and even been on the pitch training with the guys who've played with/against actual World Cup players. He already had big dreams but now it's not simply a fantasy anymore. It's tangible. So yeah, for me anyways, it's the kids this will impact.

Waterman got streetwised by the forward,  the pass I dont think was his fault bit than Miller there ,  but miscommunication was visible.  Then he was Ok. Too skinny to play there he needs a belly like Paul MCGrath or Franco Batesi, beef up with some Italian food Waterman!!!

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, narduch said:

They really are going to pick Montreal apart

This is really good for Canada Soccer. Unlike Toronto, Montreal will play its youth. This means our kids will see more game time against better competition and go to Europe at a younger age. This is why you have so many americans playing in europe at a younger age then before.  

I hope that Toronto will learn from Montreal how to develop its youth. 

17 minutes ago, Vasi said:

This is really good for Canada Soccer. Unlike Toronto, Montreal will play its youth. This means our kids will see more game time against better competition and go to Europe at a younger age. This is why you have so many americans playing in europe at a younger age then before.  

Toronto didn’t play their youth last year? It was a record year for academy player MLS minutes and MLS debuts. 

And Waterman isn’t a youth. He is turning 27 in January. 

Edited by canuckgbp

CFM are really getting blown up, Johnston, Mihloavic are gone Kone, Waterman and miller likely to leave aswell. It will be interesting to see who replaces them ZBG is pretty definite, I’d assume Zouhir or Saliba play a bit more but mostly just let Chonire play a lot, Rea maybe but I wouldn’t be suprised to see them go after someone in the CF/AM poistion, for CB Camacho will obviously keep his role, Corbo likely becomes a starter too but I’d love to see a MLS loan for Justin Smith to play in a back 3 for Montreal.

3 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

CFM are really getting blown up, Johnston, Mihloavic are gone Kone, Waterman and miller likely to leave aswell. It will be interesting to see who replaces them ZBG is pretty definite, I’d assume Zouhir or Saliba play a bit more but mostly just let Chonire play a lot, Rea maybe but I wouldn’t be suprised to see them go after someone in the CF/AM poistion, for CB Camacho will obviously keep his role, Corbo likely becomes a starter too but I’d love to see a MLS loan for Justin Smith to play in a back 3 for Montreal.

Don't forget that all those sales are leaving MTL with quite a lot of pocket changes. I would expect at least a very sizable part of it to be reinvested in replacing the players who just got away.

Edited by phil03

13 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Bundesliga, Mid-High table turkey, Promotion candidate bundesliga 2, Olympiacos or Athens, Salzburg imo would be good outside of that I just think he should stay in Montreal.

Waterman is 27 and has had one solid season in MLS. Prepare to be disappointed if those are your expectations. Salzburg wouldn’t waste  time on him for example.

42 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Who are the Montreal "kids"? Other than Zouhir (briefly) and Kone did anyone younger than 21 suit up for Montreal this year?

Edit: Also, if this goes through, is Cavalry likely to receive a sell-on fee? A 10% bump would probably be more than the initial sale price to Montreal.

Edited by jonovision

48 minutes ago, Vasi said:

We really are living in 2014 on this board.

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Who are the Montreal "kids"? Other than Zouhir (briefly) and Kone did anyone younger than 21 suit up for Montreal this year?

And Kone’s situation was just like Jonathan Osorio’s. Both players were toiling in local men’s leagues before impressing the MLS coaches and turning pro as young adults.