Joel Waterman

nolando

Like Rodney Dangerfield, this guy can't get any respect, so I'm just gonna start his individual thread now that he is officially an MLS contract holder.

I am sucker for a small town kid and he grew up near my hometown in Aldergrove BC. Part of his back story here: https://www.aldergrovestar.com/local-sports/aldergroves-golden-boy-poised-to-go-pro/#

Congrats to Joel!

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been banging the drum on this kid ever since his first match in the CPL. This is what I wrote about him after the first match day:

"Defended solidly with no obvious mistakes, but most impressive with the ball at his feet. Passed forward well, and confidently stepped forward with the ball and into midfield to give his team another dimension in possession. Both he and Dominick Zator will be key for Cavalry in their outside centre back positions."

He's a modern centre back. I don't know how he fits with the NT, but he's the type of player you can play progressive styles with. He can play full back and defensive mid but I really like his skill set at centre back.

He has only come on their radar in his breakout season last year?

Or maybe they wanted to see how he did in the CPL?

Or are you actually talking about before they announced his re-signing with Cavalry. In which case I suspect they still had first option on him or the impact isnt the big bad all the time and wanted to support the CPL a little.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So with Waterman getting his feet wet in MLS already and looking right at home, will he be on the Herdmans radar for the T+T camp/games?  Didic and Zator got their invites it should be time for Waterman eh?  

That's what I was thinking as well.  Jakovic has also worked his way into a call up for March IMO, while Vitoria may be on the outs as he hasn't made an appearance in over a month.  James as we know hasn't been a Herdman favourite and his lack of playing time isn't likely to help - I would personally call him because he will be involved for another cycle or two, unlike some of the alternatives but I feel like he won't get called.

So maybe: Henry, Jakovic, Waterman and Didic?  4 guys who have completed their respective preseasons (including Didic as he was with VWFC).  

I wasnt trying to slag Didic or Zator, but Herdman has seen them, and they both will still be in preseason mode etc.  Even if Waterman has only gotten into a few more games by then he should be in better fitness and might not even get off the bench anyways. 

This really makes me feel better about our CB in the future.  If a guy like Waterman can progress through the CPL into MLS, then into the national team picture all in a couple years, who knows which other CB might have it in them to do the same.  

On 2/28/2020 at 2:00 PM, Bison44 said:

This really makes me feel better about our CB in the future.  If a guy like Waterman can progress through the CPL into MLS, then into the national team picture all in a couple years, who knows which other CB might have it in them to do the same.  

We have pretty decent depth at every position know compared to say 5-6 years ago.  

Waterman is a great surprise coming from U Sports to CPL to MLS.  The nature of our development system is always going to bring some guys every year into the limelight kinda out of know where.

Waterman’s route is going to become more and more common every year.

Our program will become a perennial Concacaf powerhouse when every kid coming and getting a couple dozen starts into MLS isn’t immediately a contender for a CanMNT cap.  We need at least 1/2 our starters playing for Europa League teams or better with the balance of our 23 man roster consisting of MLS level or better starters/ all stars.

We’re getting there but not there yet.

The Canpl will bring more defenders to the national team. It is much easier for MLS teams to give an opportunity to an 18-20 year old attacker than defenders because defenders usually develop later. 

In the MLS, young defenders sit on the bench and don't get on the field (save a few). But young forwards get sub appearances etc... The Canpl is actually quite heavy on the 18-25 year old Canadian defenders. Of all positions to make progress from the Canpl it is defenders and goalkeepers (later developers).

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

We have pretty decent depth at every position know compared to say 5-6 years ago.  

Waterman is a great surprise coming from U Sports to CPL to MLS.  The nature of our development system is always going to bring some guys every year into the limelight kinda out of know where.

Waterman’s route is going to become more and more common every year.

Our program will become a perennial Concacaf powerhouse when every kid coming and getting a couple dozen starts into MLS isn’t immediately a contender for a CanMNT cap.  We need at least 1/2 our starters playing for Europa League teams or better with the balance of our 23 man roster consisting of MLS level or better starters/ all stars.

We’re getting there but not there yet.

Well it depends what type of Europa League teams they are on. If they are on teams that play in subpar countries and get bounced from the group stage each year, I would much rather have my players playing in the MLS.

17 minutes ago, BFBF said:

The Canpl will bring more defenders to the national team. It is much easier for MLS teams to give an opportunity to an 18-20 year old attacker than defenders because defenders usually develop later. 

In the MLS, young defenders sit on the bench and don't get on the field (save a few). But young forwards get sub appearances etc... The Canpl is actually quite heavy on the 18-25 year old Canadian defenders. Of all positions to make progress from the Canpl it is defenders and goalkeepers (later developers).

Your right.  Also the salary structure in CanPL will favour young Canadian defenders so I expect this will be a constant thing.  Goalkeepers and defenders will be plentiful.

A younger 18-23 year old Canadian player can afford to live at home and make 30-40k per year with his local CanPL team compared to an international who will have to pay for their full lifestyle on those wages.  Also why would a team spend more on an international player at a premium when there’s a local player who will play for less.

Then rapid development and exposure will come with playing time and then movement.  It’s a great thing for the Men’s program.