nolando

Joel Waterman

Like Rodney Dangerfield, this guy can't get any respect, so I'm just gonna start his individual thread now that he is officially an MLS contract holder.

I am sucker for a small town kid and he grew up near my hometown in Aldergrove BC. Part of his back story here: https://www.aldergrovestar.com/local-sports/aldergroves-golden-boy-poised-to-go-pro/#

Congrats to Joel!

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been banging the drum on this kid ever since his first match in the CPL. This is what I wrote about him after the first match day:

"Defended solidly with no obvious mistakes, but most impressive with the ball at his feet. Passed forward well, and confidently stepped forward with the ball and into midfield to give his team another dimension in possession. Both he and Dominick Zator will be key for Cavalry in their outside centre back positions."

He's a modern centre back. I don't know how he fits with the NT, but he's the type of player you can play progressive styles with. He can play full back and defensive mid but I really like his skill set at centre back.

He has only come on their radar in his breakout season last year?

Or maybe they wanted to see how he did in the CPL?

Or are you actually talking about before they announced his re-signing with Cavalry. In which case I suspect they still had first option on him or the impact isnt the big bad all the time and wanted to support the CPL a little.