Joel Waterman

nolando

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

No Mitrovic, no Jebbison.

Waterman is going to be the most exciting addition when the roster is out, isn't he? 

Other then him, who is there to get excited about? Cobeanu? 

No Buchanan or Atiba either. This is not shaping up to be a very exciting roster drop. And we had to wait an extra day for it too.

If like 3 weeks ago before all of the recent news about other dual nationals dropped we were told we'd be getting a roster with Koleosho and also Theo Corbeanu has 3 goals in 5 games in the championship... that's not the worst thing ever?

I mean, at this point, fully waiting for Nigeria to randomly swoop in and take Koleosho or like... Waterman finding out he's American or something, but despite the two big "losses", at least it seems like we've got one guy who's leaning towards playing for Canada, and he may be the most exciting of all 3 dual nationals.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Realised he's from Langley, meaning in 8-10 years he could retire to his home club in the CPL.

Must admit I am happy more guys from BC are making the NT, but what I really want to see is a balance from all regions and a bit of competition between provinces to raise the development level all around.

If he plays, I believe he will actually be the first BC raised player to play under Herdman.  I know Johnston was born in BC but left as an infant and spent a few years in Montreal before being raised in the GTA.  There does seem to be some exciting prospects coming from BC though.

The thing we are here to get excited about is NOT the roster drop. Tons of WC teams are not taking players because they are injured, Benzema is not going for France, for example, top striker for the current holder. Means nothing.

The thing to get excited about is watching us perform. 

I frankly am happy for certain fringe call-ups, but the point is to compete at a high level, which could mean beating Qatar and drawing Uruguay. Or else not getting good results and taking major lessons from the matches. 

I'm here for the games, not the call-ups.

BTW, the CSA dicking around so much means I probably won't be going to Vienna. I have been looking as recently as today, it would not cost me a lot (though quite a bit more than even 10 days ago), but I can't do things like that, go last minute with other obligations with family and work. I need to plan. 

Pisses me off they are so useless and despise fans so blatantly.

38 minutes ago, Corazon said:

If he plays, I believe he will actually be the first BC raised player to play under Herdman.  I know Johnston was born in BC but left as an infant and spent a few years in Montreal before being raised in the GTA.  There does seem to be some exciting prospects coming from BC though.

I was going to ask about this.  I think the last guy who was a regular was Vancouver Islander Straith from the Floro days.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

If like 3 weeks ago before all of the recent news about other dual nationals dropped we were told we'd be getting a roster with Koleosho and also Theo Corbeanu has 3 goals in 5 games in the championship... that's not the worst thing ever?

I mean, at this point, fully waiting for Nigeria to randomly swoop in and take Koleosho or like... Waterman finding out he's American or something, but despite the two big "losses", at least it seems like we've got one guy who's leaning towards playing for Canada, and he may be the most exciting of all 3 dual nationals.

Totally forgot about Koleosho when I wrote that, so as @narduchsuggests, that's something to be positive about. I think I forgot him because he was part of last squad, even though we didn't see him. I'd like to assume we will this time, but you never know with Canadian Soccer.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I was going to ask about this.  I think the last guy who was a regular was Vancouver Islander Straith from the Floro days.

I've been tracking every player called under Herdman since he's taken over as manager.  Including Gold Cup Preliminary Squads and camp invites such Verhoeven & Metcalfe.

There have of course been Pacific FC & Whitecaps players called but they're all entirely from out provinces.  Aside from Johnston who left BC at 4 years old, there has been 5 BC raised players called by Herdman during his era but none have played a minute under Herdman. 

1) Joel Waterman was included in a Gold Cup Preliminary roster/Cancelled Covid Camp

2) Baldisimo was included in a Gold Cup Preliminary roster/Cancelled Covid Camp.

3) Metcalfe was a camp invite a few years ago.

4) Verhoeven was a camp invite years ago.

5) Straith was called to an early Herdman camp but never attended/featured.  He is however, the only one of the 5 BC players listed above that has any Canadian caps (43 of them).

With all that being said, I expect Waterman to be the first BC raised player to play under Herdman.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Totally forgot about Koleosho when I wrote that, so as @narduchsuggests, that's something to be positive about. I think I forgot him because he was part of last squad, even though we didn't see him. I'd like to assume we will this time, but you never know with Canadian Soccer.

Yeah, I won't lie, I'm disappointed that we don't get Jebbison or Mitrovic, and with Koleosho, because he didn't have to file a one time switch, he's very much up in the air, and as a born and raised American, he doesn't owe us anything (no one does, but he owes us even less) and can leave for greener pastures at any moment, but I guess looking at this as positively as possible, we're taking the best team in concacaf to the world cup, and our reinforcements are coming in in the form of a very in form championship player (Corbeanu) and a 17-year old La Liga player. Less exciting, but we're also throwing in one of the best defensive players on one of the best teams in MLS in Joel Waterman too.

56 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Haven't Straith, Baldisimo, Norman Jr, Chung, Verhoeven etc all had looks under Herdman? At least when he coached the U23 team.

5 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I've been tracking every player called under Herdman since he's taken over as manager.  Including Gold Cup Preliminary Squads and camp invites such Verhoeven & Metcalfe.

There have of course been Pacific FC & Whitecaps players called but they're all entirely from out provinces.  Aside from Johnston who left BC at 4 years old, there has been 5 BC raised players called by Herdman during his era but none have played a minute under Herdman. 

1) Joel Waterman was included in a Gold Cup Preliminary roster/Cancelled Covid Camp

2) Baldisimo was included in a Gold Cup Preliminary roster/Cancelled Covid Camp.

5) Straith was called to an early Herdman camp but never attended/featured.  He is however, the only one of the 5 BC players listed above that has any Canadian caps (43 of them).

With all that being said, I expect Waterman to be the first BC raised player to play under Herdman.

You should send this info to the BCSA.

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Haven't Straith, Baldisimo, Norman Jr, Chung, Verhoeven etc all had looks under Herdman? At least when he coached the U23 team.

This was strictly an analysis of the senior team.  Lots of BC players have featured with our youth camps over the Herdman era.  Especially since historically our camps are predominately TFC, Montreal & Whitecaps academy players put together with a few outsiders.  You usually see a decent balance on youth teams between those three teams/provinces.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

Simon Thomas has been called during the Herdman era as well, back in 2019.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:22 AM, BearcatSA said:

What, exactly, is "good aphabet?"  Asking for a friend here.

I think in this context he is talking about Cyrillic. Since Yashin spells his name like this... Лев Иванович Яшин

So it's up to other languages to do their best with the alphabets they use to spell his name phonetically. English use sh for the same sound that French uses ch for.

I think the bigger thing to take away these days is how abysmal BC has been at developing professional players. Vancouver bottlenecks everything and spits them out when they don't immediately dominate everything and the only Vancouver player getting regular calls to the national team is a player from Ontario who developed abroad.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken`

42 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Feel bad for the guy. Feels like Herdman just doesn't rate him. 

Was hoping he'd get minutes against Qatar. Now I'm not even sure he gets called up in March.

Quite a few of the CBs didn't get any burn (Kennedy, Cornelius ) etc.. so I don't feel bad for him.  I'm sure he will get his chance in the nations league / gold cup.  You have to figure that the World Cup might be some of the last matches for Vitoria

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Honestly thing he still has a shot to make Qatar.

Herdman's goal this window as to have his A Team spend as much time together. And he did that.

He did however he's playing with fire not giving any minutes at all to the other defenders. At this point Millar/Johnston/Vitoria have all the reps and outside Henry who we know is not the most popular on this sub, the other CB options have no recent game time with this group. If someone gets hurt over the 270 minutes at the WC it will cost us.

54 minutes ago, narduch said:

Honestly thing he still has a shot to make Qatar.

Herdman's goal this window as to have his A Team spend as much time together. And he did that.

Exactly this. We already knew he wasn't ahead of Vitoria, so I don't think anything has changed just because he never featured. I assume Herdman needed those minutes to go to his best players. I would have liked to see him, but I don't necessarily assume Herdman was unimpressed (though I suppose it is possible, who's to say).