Joel Waterman

nolando

2 minutes ago, RS said:

It'll be that way until the final roster is announced for the World Cup.

And it'll even go past that if one of them is left off the squad, and/or (God forbid) one of them messes up at the World Cup.

We're a real soccer country now. 😉

The thing is too it shouldn't even be a competition as Henry is Vitoria's backup and Waterman would ideally be Johnston's but Herdman seems cool with hoping Johnston never gets hurt.

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The thing is too it shouldn't even be a competition as Henry is Vitoria's backup and Waterman would ideally be Johnston's but Herdman seems cool with hoping Johnston never gets hurt.

I think this worry is a bit overblown. If Johnston gets hurt, we just go to 4 at the back with Laryea or Buchanan at RB. We’re not going to put in Waterman while we sit someone like Tajon, Laryea, Larin, Hoilett, etc instead. 

2 hours ago, farrelld said:

Waterman and Miller aren't alone on their sides of the pitch though. One has Johnston playing wingback and the other has Lappalainen. If I'm looking at which of Montreal's wingbacks to attack I'm 100% going down the side that Lappalainen is on. 

Right. But they didn't. They attacked down the Johnston-Waterman side.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

A lot of that has to do with where Orlando's better attacking personnel were lined up as well.

Ruan, arguably the league's best attacking fullback behind Kai Wagner, was nullified and then subbed off, so more props to the Finn for his defensive diligence in support of Miller.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Kennedy could do a job there.  Played there a couple times  for us in a back 3  in qualifying, though he did try to score on Borjan against the States in Nashville. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Kennedy could do a job there.  Played there a couple times  for us in a back 3  in qualifying, though he did try to score on Borjan against the States in Nashville. 

Left foot.  Never play a left-footer at RCB.  I think it's a FIFA rule or at least it's one of the questions on the FIFA coaching exam. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Props to this kid. Fraser Valley boy who took the long road. Hadn't watched much of Montreal this season but was really impressed to see him solid in such a big game. Chalk another one up for the CPL

Developed outside of the Whitecaps academy system, worked his way up through Canadian grassroots, USports, CPL, and then transferred to MLS (with critics on here saying that other defenders in that league should have been selected, instead):  that's a great underdog story from any angle.  Though I have had some question marks about his play, I would still really like to see him be one of the 26 for Qatar.

Edited by BearcatSA

6 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Right. But they didn't. They attacked down the Johnston-Waterman side.

I didn’t see Orlando attacking down either side tbh.  Montreal dominated possession. And Orlando had very little sustained pressure of any kind. What Orlando did was hit them on the counter a couple of times that created one glorious chance which I already stated was Camacho’s fault.  And the second chance was a ball played from the other side of the field to the back post.  So I guess you were watching another match to what I saw as I didn’t see any sustained pressure or targeting of the right side of the Defense. 

25 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I didn’t see Orlando attacking down either side tbh.  Montreal dominated possession. And Orlando had very little sustained pressure of any kind. What Orlando did was hit them on the counter a couple of times that created one glorious chance which I already stated was Camacho’s fault.  And the second chance was a ball played from the other side of the field to the back post.  So I guess you were watching another match to what I saw as I didn’t see any sustained pressure or targeting of the right side of the Defense. 

If they were going to favour a side, it would have been overloading on their right with Ruan posing a threat but he didn't, in part because of the two way work of the often maligned Lappalainen, combined with Miller.

54 minutes ago, An Observer said:

You're making stuff up. I never said anything about sustained pressure. I said they attacked his side of the pitch and they had 4 scoring chances. All on his side. There were 3 chances in the 1st and 1 in the 2nd half. Here's a highlight video for your failing memory.

7 hours ago, Sal333 said:

You're making stuff up. I never said anything about sustained pressure. I said they attacked his side of the pitch and they had 4 scoring chances. All on his side. There were 3 chances in the 1st and 1 in the 2nd half. Here's a highlight video for your failing memory.

Thanks. Watched those again as you actually started getting me to think that maybe I missed something. After watching it, I am even more convinced than ever that (1) they weren’t targeting him or attacking his side of the pitch and (2) the chances they had could not be layed at his feet other than the one I mentioned previously that him, Miller and Johnston were collectively at fault for. 

Just now, Free kick said:

its Half time:   Waterman must be praying that Herdman isnt watching this game

I don't think he's been too bad. Both goals were Kamal Miller's side and Wanyama just stopped running once Heber went for the finish and didn't warn him. His 50/50 duels have gone pretty well.

Granted the defence as a whole just haven't been organized enough.

What ?   😃

PS.: i was very much open to and neutral on this topic/discussion of Waterman to Qatar.   But now that i am following closely the last few weeks.  There is no we can afford this to go to Qatar.   How could anyone exonerate him on the second goal. Even both goals.

Edited by Free kick

12 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don't think he's been too bad. Both goals were Kamal Miller's side and Wanyama just stopped running once Heber went for the finish and didn't warn him. His 50/50 duels have gone pretty well.

Granted the defence as a whole just haven't been organized enough.

It says a lot about Wanyama and Miller that NYCFC targeted them and not Waterman/Kone….

This is likely waterman’s level yes, but he’s not the reason we are down.