Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

Iceland is a really good team (I was on their Euro 2016 bandwagon), this is gonna be a tough one. 

I was about to ask who they’d be missing but their squad is already on Wikipedia, it’s basically only the guys playing in Scandinavia. Still, a few longtime starters are available. 

27 minutes ago, Ian Kennett said:

If given a choice, I would opt for younger "fringe" players than older ones. We know what Edgar, Johnson, and Ricketts can do at the international level. We do not know about Borges and Zator, for example. Would Terran Campbell be a better Poutine choice than Ricketts? Thoughts?

I would hope that herdman agrees with you.  By all means get our best 11 we can, get the best chance to win that game and get those guys some valuable experience playing together (ie Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Cavs).  But the tail end of the roster, those last 5-6 guys that probably wont see the field, make sure those guys are the same ones that Herdman will be in the upcoming u-23 team.  Give them a bit more of a chance to develop some chemistry.  

53 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Our depth has come a very long way, I think this is a very strong lineup despite non of our offensive juggernauts being available for selection. Lack of recent play for most of the roster would be my only concern

B1751372-7226-4D02-AE81-CC1ACA945697.jpeg

A 4-4-2 diamond might be best with these players. 

33 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

I do not think this will be our traditional camp poutin. We need a god damn win and everyone is aware of this. 

First hand, the CSA have asked a handful of clubs to release players for the match. Some will refuse, others will agree.

Interesting. Which players were asked to be released? 

On paper this should hurt us, but we need to take the chance!  I'm all in.

We'll be rusty and we'll be missing our best players, both offensive as well as Vitoria.  It won't be pretty.  They'll have way more experience and cohesiveness.  We should not be confident going in.  That being said... lets get it done!

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

WHAT????  We are actually having a camp and a friendly after skipping the winter/camp poutine since 2015 games against Iceland (i think).  I was convinced they wouldnt do anything....kudos they got off their ass and we have something.  We cant be too dissapointed, this is what we asked for eh?? 

I second toontown's suggestion of doing something with u-23 as well, super camp etc.  And if its too expensive, make the roster heavy on guys that will be part of the u-23 team.  Miller, Borges, Bair etc etc.   No sense calling oldies if they arent going to play (Edgar, Johnson, DeJong etc, let the younger guys get a good camp in before U-23 qualifiers.  

Happy for the camp and a game but we are the team required to gain ground in the rankings. With a 12 or 13 day camp I figured 2 games would be fit in. As for the U23. I seen rumblings that were unconfirmed they were having their own camp in Vancouver I believe. We'll see if that unfolds. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

For a January camp we’re not going to get Davies, Borjan, David and Arfield but otherwise we get the balance of our talent pool.  

The Serbian Superliga is off until Valentine's Day. The Scottish Premiership is off until Jan 22.

It's probably wishful thinking to think that we might get Borjan or Arfield but you never know.

How many points do we lose if we lose?? Isnt it worth the risk to get a quality game in?  These guys have to eventually start beating teams ranked ahead of us like Iceland, Costa rica, Jamaica  or the points wont matter.  

And I am the only one interested in seeing how the team does with no David/Davies/Arfield/Borjan etc??  I dont mind they are gone as long as Iceland is in the same boat.  I want to see Crepeau shine and Kaye/Osorio/Piette boss the midfield.  

If it were Iceland’s #1 team I’d be a little reserved. However considering they’ll likely be without their stars plus us having a lot of our NA players available despite having a few months off will be countered with the fact Canada needs the win. It will be like one team playing playoff do or die knockout soccer vs a team that is just trying out their depth. 

Iceland would be like “hell why so intense bruh?”