Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

I couldn't get used to hearing "Hoppe" pronounced "Hoppy" during the game.  I went to school with a guy with that last name, and he pronounced it with a short e at the end (like in "the").  I assume that Hoppe hears the same pronunciation in Germany.  It makes me curious if he uses the "Hoppy" pronunciation at home in America, or if the announcer just got it wrong.

41 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I couldn't get used to hearing "Hoppe" pronounced "Hoppy" during the game.  I went to school with a guy with that last name, and he pronounced it with a short e at the end (like in "the").  I assume that Hoppe hears the same pronunciation in Germany.  It makes me curious if he uses the "Hoppy" pronunciation at home in America, or if the announcer just got it wrong.

Speaking of Hoppe, I can see why Americans are excited about him. Seems like many want him in the WCQ squad for September. 

Seems apparent that the four teams remaining were indeed the four strongest in this tournament. Sometimes a softer team slips through, but not this time (in my opinion.) And, it seems the Mexicans are the class of the tournament, with the US, Qatar and Canada fighting it out for #2.  

But let's see what happens Thursday. 

Am I right in thinking we're guaranteed two more games?  

I don't agree at all with that over the top valuation on Dike but his transfer value is worth a whole lot more than the guy the Caps picked ahead of him in the draft last year.

Miller did a pro's job against Dike in the group match and if we face the US in the final, he should be able to do it.

Dike relies on service in the box. He doesn’t have much technical ability or hold up at this point of his career. The hoof ball system they played at Barnsley actually served him quite well. But the US doesn’t play that way and nor do they have enough creativity in the midfield or attack to get him good service.
Haiti and Jamaica also held the US to one goal. 

15 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Garber claiming Dike is a 20mil transfer is a classic 

Biggest joke going. The fact no one can admit there was never a 20M buyout clause is astounding - even when it was debunked and laughed off by the Barnsley president himself. Yet the MLS/media keep pushing this BS.

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

hes actually pretty good outside the box..passing hold up turns...

On the fence with this man.  He's got a career ahead of him but a bit underwhelming this tournie.  Curious how he honestly feels about how he's done in the Gold Cup.  

23 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

On the fence with this man.  He's got a career ahead of him but a bit underwhelming this tournie.  Curious how he honestly feels about how he's done in the Gold Cup.  

He's been fine. He's scored 2 goals (albeit against Martinique) in 4 games. He started playing professional soccer a year ago. 

The only reason it feels underwhelming is because expectations of him are unrealistic. 

19 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He's been fine. He's scored 2 goals (albeit against Martinique) in 4 games. He started playing professional soccer a year ago. 

The only reason it feels underwhelming is because expectations of him are unrealistic. 

Yah he's an ok player. A good MLS player but I've watched 3 US games and he's clearly not a top level player

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

This.  I do like what he brings and I think his technical skills as a target man will get better but the hype has been too much.  That said, I'd have him in my MLS side.  After not taking him last year when they had the chance, the Caps drafted a somewhat similar skillset striker In Egbo for this season but he has needed seasoning on loan in USL (but it sounds like he is doing well).

Canada vs CR was the lowest rated match on US tv in both English & Spanish. 

Mexico vs ES was most viewed on Spanish language tv. Total Spanish viewers of 2.9 million was equal to Spanish audience for Euro Final and below Spanish audience of 3.5 million for Copa Final.

US vs Jamaica was most watched in English but Spanish viewers were still higher. Note that Univison is available over the air.

Edited by red card

4 hours ago, red card said:

Mexico vs ES was most viewed on Spanish language tv. Total Spanish viewers of 2.9 million was equal to Spanish audience for Euro Final and below Spanish audience of 3.5 million for Copa Final.

US vs Jamaica was most watched in English but Spanish viewers were still higher. Note that Univison is available over the air.

Hate to say this...but this is why we wont be beating Mexico tomorrow. $$$$$$$ 

26 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Hate to say this...but this is why we wont be beating Mexico tomorrow. $$$$$$$ 

One does fear Mexico will have a 12th man on the field.  Sporting a very fashionable whistle I expect.

Hard to run up Univision viewers when your matches aren't on Univision.  Interested viewers will find ways to catch a match otherwise but capturing those numbers is maybe more black magic than an actually reliable statistical exercise.

37 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

One does fear Mexico will have a 12th man on the field.  Sporting a very fashionable whistle I expect.

Hard to run up Univision viewers when your matches aren't on Univision.  Interested viewers will find ways to catch a match otherwise but capturing those numbers is maybe more black magic than an actually reliable statistical exercise.

The CAN-CRC match was on Univision. That's how I watched it down here in the states. Not sure why its numbers were not included in that tweet above.

7 hours ago, red card said:

Not a real surprise as not as many Ticos in US as Mexicans or Salvadorans. They are a much better off country so not as big a need to emigrate for economic reasons.