Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

It was an exhibition series.  So it counted for nothing.   Nobody recognized it for anything in any official manner.   Outside of canada nobody knows anything about it or even cares.  What they will look at, if they’re interested in knowing who has supriority, is world chmapionships and olympic gold medals.  It was just a series of eight games (friendlies essentially) that the canadian media decided to politicize.   And as a result, it got gooned up by the canadian players who got caught up in the cold war hysteria.  

The 72 summit series is without question the most over rated sports accomplishment in Canadian history.  By far.   Its just something that puck heads in canada ( and the hockey industry) always fall back on and remind us when there is need to propagate the importance of hockey in canada.    Such as justifying why we need to spend so much public money in canada to build hockey arenas in every small town in canada at the expense of other facilities. Equally to justify why there has to be a double standards when its comes to Covid travel restrictions for the Montreal Canadiens versus other Cnd pro teams in MLS, NBA, MLB for example. 

Edit:  if you want to know what i am talking about in the second paragraph,  watch this interview with Mike Morreale starting at the 8:45 min mark for the next 3 mins from there. 

I remember the Summit Series very well. At the time, and, notably, at the height of the Cold War, the USSR was winning the Olympic hockey gold medal constantly because its "professionals" (Spartak Moscow, Central Red Army, Locomotiv Spartak, etc.), who in the USSR were classified as amateurs, played against real Canadian amateurs from various "non-professional" (read non-NHL) organizations. The USSR hardly lost. The thought in the USSR at the time was that the NHL professionals who played for money in the evil capitalist manner would be wiped off the face of the earth by the people's team from the workers' paradise. Thus, two challenges emerged. First, the NHL players were out to defeat Tretiak and Kharlamov and Yakishev and their peers. Second, the Soviet government was eager to demonstrate on the international stage that the Motherland would prevail and that true sport was not corrupted by greed. Canada won the series on a late Paul Henderson goal. The players' representative,  the infamous Alan Eagleson, was rescued from "the KGB" by players who went into the stands after the game, and the rest is history.                                                                                                                                                                     As for the hockey, the USSR was pretty good and provided a very strong challenge. The series could have gone either way. In fact, the crowd in Vancouver infamously booed the Canadian team off the ice after a lackluster loss to the Soviets. This drew the ire of several Canadian players. The series was a huge deal in Canada at the time.

8 hours ago, Free kick said:

The 72 summit series is without question the most over rated sports accomplishment in Canadian history.  By far.

💯

i get in fights with people about this. like you said, nobody outside of canada even knows that series happened. in the meantime, the whole world was watching when our guy broke the 100m world record IN the usa, but some exhibition hockey series that nobody cares about was bigger :wacko:

5 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I remember the Summit Series very well. At the time, and, notably, at the height of the Cold War, the USSR was winning the Olympic hockey gold medal constantly because its "professionals" (Spartak Moscow, Central Red Army, Locomotiv Spartak, etc.), who in the USSR were classified as amateurs, played against real Canadian amateurs from various "non-professional" (read non-NHL) organizations. The USSR hardly lost. The thought in the USSR at the time was that the NHL professionals who played for money in the evil capitalist manner would be wiped off the face of the earth by the people's team from the workers' paradise. Thus, two challenges emerged. First, the NHL players were out to defeat Tretiak and Kharlamov and Yakishev and their peers. Second, the Soviet government was eager to demonstrate on the international stage that the Motherland would prevail and that true sport was not corrupted by greed. Canada won the series on a late Paul Henderson goal. The players' representative,  the infamous Alan Eagleson, was rescued from "the KGB" by players who went into the stands after the game, and the rest is history.                                                                                                                                                                     As for the hockey, the USSR was pretty good and provided a very strong challenge. The series could have gone either way. In fact, the crowd in Vancouver infamously booed the Canadian team off the ice after a lackluster loss to the Soviets. This drew the ire of several Canadian players. The series was a huge deal in Canada at the time.

Thr best thing to ever happen to Canada in Hockey was the Soviets or Russians , I dont care what the  Ignorant Don Cherry Crowd say . Maybe the best Hockey Ive ever seen Canada v Russia 1987, Canada v Russia 1984  both Cabada Cups, Montreal v Central Red Army 1975.

3 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

💯

i get in fights with people about this. like you said, nobody outside of canada even knows that series happened. in the meantime, the whole world was watching when our guy broke the 100m world record IN the usa, but some exhibition hockey series that nobody cares about was bigger :wacko:

I always thought that Donavan Bailey and his other sprinters in that relay final were treated like crap. I remember going to the BAR that night after Bailey Won the Gold  and nobody seemed to care man was I pissed

3 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I always thought that Donavan Bailey and his other sprinters in that relay final were treated like crap. I remember going to the BAR that night after Bailey Won the Gold  and nobody seemed to care man was I pissed

there is a very good documentry on Engraved in a nation on Sportsnet that deal with the nonsence Baily had to put up with  especially with the stupid media here in Canada . Nom wonder Bailey was a bit of a  A hole sometimes

1 minute ago, gigi riva said:

absolutely. i was in the states for the 4x100 finals, people there were beside themselves. that was their money in the bank event and we kicked their asses in their backyard!

19 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

💯

Agreed. This is one of the few examples of when we, collectively as Canadians, sound and act a bit like Americans. 

Again this just shows how warped the media here in Canada is The 1972 Summit Series I think was a bit overhyped but at the same time was a great lesson in hOCKEY for us Canadians, while Bailey  gets the Gold in the premiere event at the Olympics  right in Atlanta  USA yet the media kind of brushed it aside,  CANADA has a great Gold Cup tourney only TSN seems to mention it, Yet the Leafs make a deal for a 3 rd draft pick yet its the number one story go figure

44 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Again this just shows how warped the media here in Canada is The 1972 Summit Series I think was a bit overhyped but at the same time was a great lesson in hOCKEY for us Canadians, while Bailey  gets the Gold in the premiere event at the Olympics  right in Atlanta  USA yet the media kind of brushed it aside,  CANADA has a great Gold Cup tourney only TSN seems to mention it, Yet the Leafs make a deal for a 3 rd draft pick yet its the number one story go figure

The 72 series would not make the top 100 in my list of top canadian moment. For even hockey, there are the olympic gold medals etc etc.

56 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

An perfect example. Maybe most of people care more about professional than amateur sport? I'm a huge olympic fan and always  care more about national teams than club teams. I just turn off the radio when host talking about Louie Erikssen for  whole day long here in Vancouver.

I'm going to watch this match.  Not surprised that Dike has been dropped.  Busio has also not been ready for prime time, either, but is he on suspension?

See if we'll hear more of "the chant," but this time with the American "home" team facing the music.

10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Unfortunately, I am going to have to listen to these guys so I can hear the American crowd in action.

Well, watch  the youtube COncacaf feed, the commentary is minimal if clched, and no commercials. Good stream.