Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Just now, costarg said:

I don't think it'll be close.  I feel we pushed Mexico harder than this US team will.

So did Trinidad and El Salvador. US have found a way to consistently win ugly and with a young team. I think it will be a similar game with a great atmosphere. That said I will still give it a miss lol

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think there's a balance between USMNT Twitters constant "this is our D - squad!!" and the truth (that they are missing more of their high end talent than the other teams (particularly Mexico and Canada).  If you compare the lineup in the Nations league finals (that was their A team) to their gold cup roster the gap is pretty evident. 

When you look at the roster for the final Acosta was starting while Cannon and Lletget came on while many more on the Gold Cup squad got starts and playing time during the Nations League matches. They didn't have the 6-7 stars for Gold Cup but C squad is stretching it. it is the B squad with some A squad players.

14 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

When you look at the roster for the final Acosta was starting while Cannon and Lletget came on while many more on the Gold Cup squad got starts and playing time during the Nations League matches. They didn't have the 6-7 stars for Gold Cup but C squad is stretching it. it is the B squad with some A squad players.

I called it a C-squad on twitter but in reality its probably a B-minus team....some guys who are probably in the US's 2nd eleven and some third eleven guys....only first choice guys I'd say are Cannon or Robinson..one would start opposite Dest in the first eleven depending what side Berhalter plays Dest

If that was the American's D squad, then I'd like to see the names on the C, B and A squads.  You need to come up with the names of thirty-odd players who are above them to make that claim.  Players who have actually played on the national team.  Maybe this actually _is_ their D squad, but I'd like to see some legitimate proof of that.

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

If that was the American's D squad, then I'd like to see the names on the C, B and A squads.  You need to come up with the names of thirty-odd players who are above them to make that claim.  Players who have actually played on the national team.  Maybe this actually _is_ their D squad, but I'd like to see some legitimate proof of that.

I came up with about twenty names total..obviously some positions deeper than others..for example Cannon is probably the first choice RB is Dest is on the left, whereas CB there's at least 5 guys ahead of anyone the US suited out for the Gold Cup

The states have large depth now. Thats the benefit of several decades of the MLS and money poured into youth and coaching through through systems. 

This has been a great tournament for them. A predominantly young/inexperienced team not necessarily looking great but winning games despite that. There depth like ours has got alot from this.

I think in general however we are still on par/arguably better with talent in a best XI which is what counts. We have and continue to benefit from some of those same systems and now have the CPL and our only slowly developing.

What they do have is far far greater depth to come in if there are injuries etc. And it's only a matter of time with the amount of young players they have and are bringing through that they will eventually have close to a world class XI where they don't have to just pick players based on reputation and potential talent alone but form of equally good players.

They will always have the USA pressure and unrealistic expectation/mentality though which is a curse as much as an occasional blessing.

Find it hilarious folks are using the Summit Series (we just said Canada-Russia at the time) showed the power of Canadian psychological edge. What bull. We played the last 4 matches at home and squeeked it out by a late goal. 

I wonder if it had ended a draw if they'd have left it, there was an earlier draw in the USSR. 

It was the definitive end of Canadian dominance in the sport. 

Edit:I see I'm mistaken on when we played at home. That was pretty good then. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Find it hilarious folks are using the Summit Series (we just said Canada-Russia at the time) showed the power of Canadian psychological edge. What bull. We played the last 4 matches at home and squeeked it out by a late goal. 

I wonder if it had ended a draw if they'd have left it, there was an earlier draw in the USSR. 

The last 4 games were played in Moscow.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

It was an exhibition series.  So it counted for nothing.   Nobody recognized it for anything in any official manner.   Outside of canada nobody knows anything about it or even cares.  What they will look at, if they’re interested in knowing who has supriority, is world chmapionships and olympic gold medals.  It was just a series of eight games (friendlies essentially) that the canadian media decided to politicize.   And as a result, it got gooned up by the canadian players who got caught up in the cold war hysteria.  

The 72 summit series is without question the most over rated sports accomplishment in Canadian history.  By far.   Its just something that puck heads in canada ( and the hockey industry) always fall back on and remind us when there is need to propagate the importance of hockey in canada.    Such as justifying why we need to spend so much public money in canada to build hockey arenas in every small town in canada at the expense of other facilities. Equally to justify why there has to be a double standards when its comes to Covid travel restrictions for the Montreal Canadiens versus other Cnd pro teams in MLS, NBA, MLB for example. 

Edit:  if you want to know what i am talking about in the second paragraph,  watch this interview with Mike Morreale starting at the 8:45 min mark for the next 3 mins from there. 

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, gator said:

We would be doing well if our National Soccer Team gains enough recognition and Canada wide support for high school classes to be let out early so the students can watch the matches as was the case in the 72 Summit Series!

That would be nice.  But i am realistic enough that that wont happen in our life time.  

46 minutes ago, Free kick said:

That would be nice.  But i am realistic enough that that wont happen in our life time.  

I'm not sure about schools being let out early in these days of portable devices but if we were to run with the big boys of Concacaf and actually qualify for Qatar the media attention and interest from the general public would be huge, there's lots of room on this bandwagon!

3 hours ago, Strait Red said:

OH my what a memory I have. Well then that was a gutsy performance! 

I should have known, we canceled class at school and watched those games in a classroom that had TV feed. Must have been 10am.

Still, my conclusion was right. It was the end of Canadian dominance, look what happened at Lake Placid. 

So after the first semi I wanted the states to lose the final but after the second semi I definitely want to see Mexico lose the final and see their fans turn on each other after a loss to the States B- team. 

Its one thing to be arrogant and cocky, its another to do it while being shamelessly homophobic and racist.  

Edited by king1010