Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Caught a little backhanded comment from the commentator. Said Mexico dominated Honduras.. while we won 2-0 in a “physical” game.

I like this commentator, his calm demeanor is a nice foil to the overly excited Gareth Wheeler. 

Honestly, that commment stood out to me as well, maybe he  was just being clever and wanted us, the Voyageurs to notice and roll our collective eyes or perhaps it could have just been good old Canadian modesty at play.

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Why? The states win was scrappy but probably deserved over the run of play. They aren't a top 4 side, at least yet.

I thought Jamaica was the far better team in the first half and second was even. However, if they just had some finishing ability and a clue on what to do in the final third, they could have easily won that game. 

Edited by Macksam

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

At the moment I have Eustaquio, Buchanon and Miller on my GC best XI.

These two are almost surely a lock, especially Eustaquio, but I can see Miller sneaking on there if we make it to the final. If we get that far has solidity will be a big reason why.

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

DAMN!!! And I thought that game was exciting in English!

55 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'll take the TUDN guys over Wheeler any day.

How do you haters listen to that and then turn around and say that Wheels is over the top?  I don't get it.  There was even a Dunfield-esque laugh around the 4 minute mark.

8 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

How do you haters listen to that and then turn around and say that Wheels is over the top?  I don't get it.  There was even a Dunfield-esque laugh around the 4 minute mark.

The Spanish is more fun and less cringey + my current level of Spanish also only allows me to catch about 60% of what they are saying so perhaps that's why it seems less idiotic.

47 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The Spanish is more fun and less cringey + my current level of Spanish also only allows me to catch about 60% of what they are saying so perhaps that's why it seems less idiotic.

Love that announcing. Their tone and tenor follows the game. Tension increases and releases perfectly. The "hoo hoo hoo!" was perfect. Will admit though, I never understood continuing the "Gooooooooooooooooooool" after taking a breath.

18 hours ago, Obinna said:

Heard that as well. Was scratching my head at that.

Edit: To be fair I like that guy overall. I think it's Tony Meola, right?

Meola does colour. This sounded like one of the USL announcers Devon Kerr.

Even though the feed isn't for an American audience, he announces like it is. He goes deep into USL and many MLS players life story which I like but short shifts Euro-based players.

10 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

The Americans should be thrilled with the result, they played exactly the type of game they needed to play and I thought had a slight edge on the run of play.....considering the side they ran out I thought that was a good win

I'm happy they're happy with the result as it tends to make the Americans complacent. 

I also like they haven't found a real striker yet. Dike has shown his flaws rather than his early Barnsley form. So, they'll need to go back to Sargent for WCQ. Maybe Zardes.

Hoppe has shown to be more technical and creative than I thought. So, another option on the wings rather than as a striker. Sands, Turner, Robinson & Moore have emerged as backups.