Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

5 hours ago, Go_Canada_Go said:

I believe 24 hours before our match.

If anyone from outside of the states was coming we would probably of heard about it wouldn't we? Whats the quarantine time? I expect we will know by Friday. Orlando play tomorrow night so if its Tesho it will be after that. Bair could go yesterday as MDS isn't really fussed with using him but also don't think he would add anything either.

I expect we will add Tesho and keep him and Guti at their MLS clubs and see how Sunday goes. If we get through maybe they will join up if Cavs gets a yellow.  

On 7/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, RJB said:

Has a guest team ever won a continental championship?  This year looks like as good a chance as any, with Qatar playing El Salvador, and likely then a USA B team in the semis. 

No.

Mexico made the Copa America finals twice (1993 and 2001), Brazil made the Gold Cup final twice (1996 and 2003), and of course Colombia made the Gold Cup final once in 2000. No guest team has made a final in Europe, Asia, Africa, or Oceania (I don't know if they have ever had guest nations. Note that Australia and Israel have both made the Asian final, but it was while they were in the Asian confederation).

25 minutes ago, Shway said:

All in all… I hope Qatar doesn’t win. It would be a mockery for an invitee to win “our” tournament.

I was thinking about that. Qatar looks good and I believe this is their A team. Money aside, we should stop inviting teams to Gold Cup that are so strong.... Brazil, South Korea, Colombia?! Maybe keep inviting teams like South Africa

1 minute ago, Tyson M said:

I was thinking about that. Qatar looks good and I believe this is their A team. Money aside, we should stop inviting teams to Gold Cup that are so strong.... Brazil, South Korea, Colombia?! Maybe keep inviting teams like South Africa

lol, it's been a while since those countries were involved. 

Mexico won't take the L tonight. They always step up when it matters even in the GC knockout rounds. 

The Qatar vs El Salvador will be interesting. El Salvador brought an A/B team and playing much better then I expected. Not an easy out by any means for Qatar. 

My predictions for this round to advance are: 

Qatar, Mexico, Canada, Jamaica. 

I think Jamaica have the best shot to pull an upset.

Note, the bookmakers have CRC/Canada as essentially a coin flip, so when we advance can not classify us advancing  as an "upset".

Edited by apbsmith
Spelling