Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

So if we’re looking at the WCQ roster here’s what I’d want.

Dropped: Borjan, Adekugbe, Sturing, Fraser, Corbeanu, Millar, Cavallini

Add: Crepeau, Gutierrez, Miller, Baldisimo, Pasher, Akinola, Akindele 

Only dropped Cavallini because I’m advocating for adding 3 whitecaps. Also a good opportunity to get Akinola and Akindele a look.

But if the players you want to add are for the Gold Cup squad, then I can keep an open mind

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

You would drop all of those players potentially our best players for those players especially for WCQ???? Like why????

We can use those players that you want to add during our qualifying campaign but not in favor of dropping our best players to make that happen

You're in the Gold Cup thread. This is for the Gold Cup roster.

Borjan and Adekugbe are already confirmed out and the rest were dropped to get some rotation/cap-ties in.

24 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You're in the Gold Cup thread. This is for the Gold Cup roster.

Borjan and Adekugbe are already confirmed out and the rest were dropped to get some rotation/cap-ties in.

Okay then because I was about to say....but yeah like I said I can see your logic

Didn't see the Houston game but Pasher started and scored in a 2-2 draw against Portland. That's 2 goals and an assist across 6 games now. He was tied for top rated on the team with an 8.9, as per my goal app.

Pasher seemed like an easy cut a few days ago, but if he continues this form it's hard to not see him making the squad. 

I agree with all of the people here who see the difficulty in choosing the GC team. It is a fine balance to form a squad to win, to cap tie, to create chemistry, and to reflect higher level club minutes. For what it is worth, here is my 23.

Keeper - Crepeau, Pantemis, St. Clair

Defenders - Gutierrez, Miller, Sturing, Johnston, Henry, Kennedy, Brault Guillard

Midfielders - Flores, Wotherspoon Kaye, Osorio, H. Paton, Laryea, Davies, Piette

Forwards - Akinola, Cavallini, Buchanon, Akindele, Pasher

THOUGHTS:

I presume that Davies is included as a kind of inducement to a couple of duals as well as for his quality.

Pasher gives a better left wing option than Millar at this time and he scores.

Akinola gets capped, I hope.

If Kennedy needs a rest, then one of Vitoria or Waterman (?) comes in.

Jebbison is a real tempation if he is willing. Is he too big of a risk to exclude?

Does Hoillet settle his club situation before WCQ?

Do we take a look at H. Paton and cap him if he shows well at camp, or do we go conservative with one of Fraser or Chapman instead?

Does Corbeanu get a spot at the expense of the in-form Akindele?

Cavallini is bound to receive more support form the CMNT midfield than he has at VWFC!

Is it time to cap Flores and bank on the future?

Do we fit in Baldisimo at this time?

**I cannot see much of a case for any other player on the 60 list at this time, the foursome of Larin, David, and Eustaquio notwithstanding. All four had injuries last season!

Certainly, we have lots of questions and options which are riches for Herdman. Let's hope that he does not succumb to choosing undeserving players for some feel good reason. This GC team needs to be strong and include attractive duals, ready to play prospects, and deserving veterans.

29 minutes ago, Floortom said:

if Jebbison and Flores are willling to be capped for this we 100% have to call them. I still believe it’s highly unlikely either will be there though but I certainly hope I’m wrong 

That is 100% true for me as well.  If the kids want to come and join the team that is going places, you use two spots to get them on board.  It isn’t even a debate for me.  If it means leaving a guy like Cav off the roster to help Vancouver in league play, then so be it (and that is just a random example).  

39 minutes ago, Floortom said:

if Jebbison and Flores are willling to be capped for this we 100% have to call them. I still believe it’s highly unlikely either will be there though but I certainly hope I’m wrong 

Same - I’d be pretty shocked, but I was also equally shocked that Davies is joining the squad for the GC, so who knows!

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is 100% true for me as well.  If the kids want to come and join the team that is going places, you use two spots to get them on board.  It isn’t even a debate for me.  If it means leaving a guy like Cav off the roster to help Vancouver in league play, then so be it (and that is just a random example).  

There was an indication a week or so ago that Cavallini would be part of the Gold Cup squad. This was before the preliminary roster dropped. Can't remember the source, but it was on Twitter.

So I get your point and I agree, just not sure it would be Cav specifically.

Are we really going to select David, Larin, Cavallini, Ayo and Jebbison? Seems unlikely, but it could work if we keep playing with 2 forwards. We would have one hell of a forward bench, that's for sure.

If we support those forwards with wingbacks such as Davies, Buchanan and Laryea, we'll be looking strong. Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez and even Pasher could be making up the numbers. Again, very strong options.

This may come down to Corbeanu and Millar getting dropped, rather than someone like Cav. Those are the guys who are most likely to lose their forward spots, and I don't see either being played as wingbacks. Millar could play there if we needed, but in this case it's not needed, and with his club situation up in the air my money is on him missing out this go around.

15 hours ago, Shway said:

Mexican squad apparently revealed

image.thumb.png.cf9f8b65dd6eb69b543ee7f450a8733c.png

Ochoa, and Lainez notable omissions who will be with their Olympic team.

Apparently is the correct word as this is a fake. Deadline is still a week away and so there is nothing official from Mexico yet.

Either of Flores or Jebbison would be amazing. I want to believe that they both could be joining. Jebbison is more likely for me, I think he's further off the England senior team than Flores is from Mexico's. Mexicans seem to want Flores cap tied now or soon and there is worry now that he's on Canada's provisional squad. It would be a big loss for them and a huge gain for us. Jebbison playing for England is more unlikely and he probably knows that, so is more likely to join Canada if he wants to play senior international tournaments any time soon.

My only hope with Flores is that Herdman is using every ounce of his motivational skills to get Flores to buy in to the fact that he could be a main man in Canada's golden revolution and that he can be one of the core of very talented players to turn the sport around in this country. That's pretty exciting for a young kid who grew up here, so hopefully Herdman can tap into that, which I'm sure is what he's doing.

Edited by frmr

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

There was an indication a week or so ago that Cavallini would be part of the Gold Cup squad. This was before the preliminary roster dropped. Can't remember the source, but it was on Twitter.

So I get your point and I agree, just not sure it would be Cav specifically.

I bet Cava's got all his suitcases already packed and ready to go at a moment's notice.  He and Crepeau and perhaps Guiterrez are ready to blow Dodge for as long as it takes while the Caps' slow motion train wreck season continues.

Edited by BearcatSA

For players missing some preseason is it possible playing in the Gold Cup would help their club career chances? Very specific to player pools I suppose as I get the feeling those not coming from the US are those that need to be at preseason camps to fight for or to keep a starting spot vs maybe our U23 guys who could be looking to use the Gold Cup prove to their coaches they are ready to play 'men'..

Highly credible source in Mexico, TV azteca saying this is mexico's team:

• Alfredo Talavera. Pumas UNAM
  • Rodolfo Cota. Club León
  • Jonathan Orozco. Xolos
  • Luis Rodríguez. Tigres
  • Néstor Araujo. Celta de Vigo
  • Carlos Salcedo. Tigres
  • Héctor Moreno. Rayados
  • Gilberto Sepúlveda. Chivas
  • Jesús Gallardo. Rayados
  • Osvaldo Rodriguez. León
  • Kevin Álvarez. Atlas
  • Edson Álvarez. Pachuca
  • Alan Cervantes. Santos
  • Héctor Herrera. Atlético de Madrid
  • Jonathan Dos Santos. LA Galaxy
  • Andrés Guardado. R. Betis
  • Erick Gutiérrez. PSV
  • Jesús Manuel Corona. Porto
  • Orbelín Pineda. Cruz Azul
  • Alan Pulido. Kansas City
  • Rogelio Funes Mori. Rayados
  • Hirving Lozano. Napoli
  • Rodolfo Pizarro. Inter Miami

My Canada 23 man squad for Gold Cup would look like this:

GK- Crepeau, Pantemis, St Clair

LB- Miller

CB- Henry, Vitoria, Kennedy, Singh (cap tie)

RB- Laryea, Johnston

CM- Eustaquio, Kaye, Arfield, Piette, Osorio, Flores (cap tie)

LW- Davies, Pasher

CF- David, Jebbison (cap tie), Larin, Akinola (cap tie)

RW- Buchanan 

25 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

My Canada 23 man squad for Gold Cup would look like this:

GK- Crepeau, Pantemis, St Clair

LB- Miller

CB- Henry, Vitoria, Kennedy, Singh (cap tie)

RB- Laryea, Johnston

CM- Eustaquio, Kaye, Arfield, Piette, Osorio, Flores (cap tie)

LW- Davies, Pasher

CF- David, Jebbison (cap tie), Larin, Akinola (cap tie)

RW- Buchanan 

Good squad. I want to see Gutierrez, but Miller makes sense, as he can play LB and LCB. I would probably take Miller over Vitoria and bring Gutierrez, and that would be more to see both Miller and Gutierrez instead of Vitoria doing anything wrong.

7 hours ago, frmr said:

Either of Flores or Jebbison would be amazing. I want to believe that they both could be joining. Jebbison is more likely for me, I think he's further off the England senior team than Flores is from Mexico's. Mexicans seem to want Flores cap tied now or soon and there is worry now that he's on Canada's provisional squad. It would be a big loss for them and a huge gain for us. Jebbison playing for England is more unlikely and he probably knows that, so is more likely to join Canada if he wants to play senior international tournaments any time soon.

My only hope with Flores is that Herdman is using every ounce of his motivational skills to get Flores to buy in to the fact that he could be a main man in Canada's golden revolution and that he can be one of the core of very talented players to turn the sport around in this country. That's pretty exciting for a young kid who grew up here, so hopefully Herdman can tap into that, which I'm sure is what he's doing.

I hope someone like Flores looks and thinks playing with this core of highly talented young players between now and 2026 could be great for his career development as well as transformational for the country in which he was born.  Look at a country like Wales, they have two stars in Bales and Ramsey which they have surrounded with a capable cast which has taken them far in the last two Euros.  And arguably Davies and David could be even bigger in their primes in 2026 than those 2.  You add in Larin (he's not young but will be there in 2026), Jebbison, Flores, Buchanan, Corbeanu, Millar, Dias, Rutty, Akinola and these guys must think this would be a really fun group to develop with and be part of.  I can actually see the appeal even for someone like Flores choosing us over Mexico as they don't have two players to rival Davies and David nor probably such a good set of young attacking talent.  Start now and grow together into 2026.  Exciting.

Ps.  I know I will probably be hopelessly let down in another week.