Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Don't know if it was mentioned above, but I am catching up on yesterday's One Soccer Today episode and both Platt and Wheeler are predicting that Herdman will take as strong a team as possible to the GC.  It sounds like the players don't want a break and they want to continue building on the WCQ success as a core group.  They also mentioned that the only thing that would change that approach would be if club situations dictated that specific people weren't available or if the opportunity was there to cap a few of the young dual prospects. 

39 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Don't know if it was mentioned above, but I am catching up on yesterday's One Soccer Today episode and both Platt and Wheeler are predicting that Herdman will take as strong a team as possible to the GC.  It sounds like the players don't want a break and they want to continue building on the WCQ success as a core group.  They also mentioned that the only thing that would change that approach would be if club situations dictated that specific people weren't available or if the opportunity was there to cap a few of the young dual prospects. 

1) I think many would be in pre-season (or within a week of preseason) for their EURO clubs anyways. Sadly, not much rest to be had.

2) That being said, We have to give some of these guys as much rest as possible.

If we call  any of Eustáquio/David/Davies/Hutchinson/Arfield/Wotherspoon we should avoid playing them more than 30 minutes in those two first matches.

Then, play our best lineup vs the USA.

Yes, in the case of a draw vs the USA and wins vs the other teams we might be 2nd in the group on goal difference but I think it's a risk worth taking.

We need to test more of our non-top 15 players in competitive matches.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

58 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Im sure guys like Davies , David, Larin, will not be present for this Gold Cup they should at there individual team preseson camps plus I would rather see them for World Cup qualifying instead

It isn’t like it has to be an “either or” though.  They will 100% be at WCQ.   The question is whether or not they are at both.  

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The final squad has to be 23 players. There is not much room to bring as strong a team as possible AND cap dual prospects.

Ranking those dual prospects by priority:

1. Daniel Jebbison (England)
  2. Ayo Akinola (USA/Nigeria)
  3. Marcelo Flores (England/Mexico)
  4. Michael Baldisimo (Philippians)
  5. Luke Singh (T&T)
  6. Jules-Anthony Vilsaint (Haiti)

There are more obviously, Like Priso (Cameroon) and Elva (St. Lucia), but for intents and purposes they are probably ours.

I would suggest we can't call all these guys, so who do we prioritize? Do we prioritize Singh ahead of Baldisimo because he's a CB? Do we take both Jebbison and Akinola considering they are both forwards?

Excited to see who makes the cut and who commits!

Just now, Obinna said:

The boys are serious about winning this tournament. I love it!

Me too. I am really starting to buy the idea that this team is different mentally from the teams of the past. A combination of talent levels we've never seen before, players too young to know any better, and dare I say it, Herdman-speak.

Let's win the fucking thing, why not?

27 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Me too. I am really starting to buy the idea that this team is different mentally from the teams of the past. A combination of talent levels we've never seen before, players too young to know any better, and dare I say it, Herdman-speak.

Let's win the fucking thing, why not?

Absolutely, and here's a prediction: If we win Gold Cup we will qualify for the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Absolutely, and here's a prediction: If we win Gold Cup we will qualify for the World Cup.

LOL.  Don't stick your neck out or anything.

The lads have said it, Herdman has said it, this Gold Cup is all about getting it together for the OCT.  And what an outstanding opportunity to get it together, being tested against serious competition literally weeks before the OCT kicks off.

Love it.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I was thinking after reading the Davies related tweet, all I want is to win the Gold Cup and qualify for the World Cup. What's wrong with that?

The only Gold Cup champions to not qualify for the subsequent World Cup are the USA from 2017 and Canada from 2000.

So if we’re looking at the WCQ roster here’s what I’d want.

Dropped: Borjan, Adekugbe, Sturing, Fraser, Corbeanu, Millar, Cavallini

Add: Crepeau, Gutierrez, Miller, Baldisimo, Pasher, Akinola, Akindele 

Only dropped Cavallini because I’m advocating for adding 3 whitecaps. Also a good opportunity to get Akinola and Akindele a look.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Only dropped Cavallini because I’m advocating for adding 3 whitecaps. Also a good opportunity to get Akinola and Akindele a look.

Love it…but if Jebbison and Flores is down I’m making small changes to this list. I’m adding them, dropping Vitoria, and not adding Pasher. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Love it…but if Jebbison and Flores is down I’m making small changes to this list. I’m adding them, dropping Vitoria, and not adding Pasher. 

I’m with you but I’d drop Akindele instead of Vitoria. Dropping Vitoria would leave us with just 3 natural CBs and if we’re planning on fielding a 3-5-2 that seems real thin.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

I’m with you but I’d drop Akindele instead of Vitoria. Dropping Vitoria would leave us with just 3 natural CBs and if we’re planning on fielding a 3-5-2 that seems real thin.

I hear you, I just don’t think we are committed to the 3-5-2. Knowing that, I think it would be 3 CBS, and Johnston who I think is better as a stay at home/ball playing defender.

But it’s tough man, I just watched the highlights of the Houston game ….and that direct decisiveness from Pasher to score on his off foot…might be a hidden gem for us.

All I know is that this team is going to be solid. 

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You would drop all of those players potentially our best players for those players especially for WCQ???? Like why????

We can use those players that you want to add during our qualifying campaign but not in favor of dropping our best players to make that happen