The Road to Qatar.

Binky

It's too early to start individual match threads (even for me!) but here is some  key info for our next window.

Our matches:

"Away" at Aruba,  Saturday, June 5th
"Home" vs Suriname Tuesday, June 8th 

Possible playoff vs Haiti/Nicaragua/Belize "away" , Saturday, June 12th
Possible playoff vs Haiti/Nicaragua/Belize "home" , Tuesday, June 15th 

Locations:
I believe, the border will likely still be closed by June and we will need to host in the USA.

Florida isn't as pleasant in June but
both Exploria stadium in Orlando
https://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2021/03/24/orlando-city-sc-announces-2021-regular-season-schedule-presented-orlando-health
and Inter Miami CF stadium in Ft. Lauderdale
https://www.intermiamicf.com/en/schedule
will be free for the whole FIFA window.
IMG in Bradenton remains a likely option.

When can we get our players into camp?
The FIFA date starts on Monday, May 31st .
https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/men-s-international-match-calendar-2020-2024.pdf?cloudid=cd3qpcttmbbjowbso2tz
However, we should be able to have a proper camp this time.

Here is when their seasons end:

Jr Hoilett / Liam Millar / Jayson Leutwiler
EFL Championship/League 1 - Saturday, May 8th or Sunday May 9th (no playoff run)
playoff finals maybe Saturday, May 22nd? maybe later (best outcome at club level)

Frank Sturing
Eerste Divisie  - Wednesday, May 12th (no playoff run)

Aviv Solomon - Israeli Premier League - May 15

Manjrekar James
Greek Super League  - Saturday, May 15th or Sunday May 16th
Possibly a later date if in relegation playoff

Cycle Larin/Atiba Hutchinson
Süper Lig  - Saturday, May 15th or Sunday May 16th
Turkish Cup Final - May 18th

Scott Arfield/David Wotherspoon/Harry Patton/Charlie Trafford
Scottish Premiership - Saturday, May 15th or Sunday May 16th
Scottish Cup - Saturday, May 22nd or Sunday May 23rd (best outcome at club level)
Possibly a later date for Paton or Trafford if in relegation playoff

Steven Vitória/Stephen Eustáquio/Lucas Dias
Primeira Liga - Wednesday, May 19th 

Theo Corbeanu
Premier League - Saturday, May 22nd or Sunday May 23rd (if brought to the first team - best outcome at club level)

Jonathan David
Ligue 1 - Saturday, May 22nd or Sunday May 23rd

Scott Kennedy
2. Bundesliga - Saturday, May 22nd or Sunday May 23rd

Alphonso Davies
1. Bundesliga - Saturday, May 22nd or Sunday May 23rd

Milan Borjan
Sebian SuperLiga - Wednesday, May 19th
Serbian Cup - Tuesday May 25th

Still playing their season:
Sam Adekugbe
Eliteserien

Doneil Henry
K League 1

MLS guys
Most teams play Saturday, May 29th or Sunday May 30th but Vancouver doesn't (so the Whitecaps guys could get into camp earlier - last match before the break is May 22).

So Herdman could get over a week of camp with over half the squad.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

It's nice that the most critical window to date for this group will be in June. 

For a squad like ours, with half the team based in Europe and half the team based in North America, the June window is great. All the European guys will only be a week or two removed from match fitness (basically they'll be fit with some extra time to recover before camp), while the MLS/CPL guys here in North America will be in season. 

25 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Its going to be an amazing few months(fingers crossed) we're going from group play, right in to 2 legged crossover, right in to Gold Cup, right in to the Octagon 

I'll breath easier once we get past Suriname. We should be able to handle them, but one-off games make me nervous. Will Bermuda do us a favor and take points from them, I wonder? They beat Aruba 5-0 without their Bristol City star.

Funny enough, I am a little more nervous about the Suriname game than the pending two-legged showdown with Haiti. 

By the way, Nicaragua currently leads the group and has a pretty decent goal differential. Needless to say, we likely match up better with them.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'll breath easier once we get past Suriname. We should be able to handle them, but one-off games make me nervous. Will Bermuda do us a favor and take points from them, I wonder? They beat Aruba 5-0 without their Bristol City star.

Funny enough, I am a little more nervous about the Suriname game than the pending two-legged showdown with Haiti. 

By the way, Nicaragua currently leads the group and has a pretty decent goal differential. Needless to say, we likely match up better with them.

Don't sleep on Nicaragua. In 2018 qualifying they had a 3-0 aggregate lead over Jamaica in the last KO round before group play.  They could be helped by a move to a neutral venue

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I get the nerves - but we got this. We are getting to the ocho.  Can’t be as confident about Qatar, but we will do the job needed to make the final 8.  Book it. 

23 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

It would be great if Bermuda could get Wells, Lambe and Lewis in the lineup against Suriname and pull out a win. They had a comfortable win against Aruba and they've beat Panama in Panama. Maybe, just maybe!

I want them to call their 16 year old wonder kid  Ajani Burchall who’s linked to Arsenal

Edited by SpecialK

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think Bermuda has to outright win against Suriname for it to change anything for us. We would still be in 'win or draw and we're through':

If Suriname gets a draw against Bermuda, they are sitting at 7 and us at 9 going into the game. We would still need a win or a draw to get in. 

If Suriname gets a win against Bermuda, a draw against us puts us both at 10 pts, but we'd certainly win out on GD. So again 'win or draw'.

If Suriname loses to Bermuda, then we can still lose the last game to Suriname and go through on GD. This is the only scenario where 'win or draw' isn't the requirement.

All that being said... let's go Bermuda! (1-0 preferred)

Just now, xabuep2 said:

I have seen both games Suriname vs Aruba and  vs Cayman Islands. However, it is difficult to gauge the quality of the team against such amateur rivals. Suriname had good passing, good ball control and dominance. But is Suriname really the big bad wolf to be feared?

No.  That’s us 

4 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Don't sleep on Nicaragua. In 2018 qualifying they had a 3-0 aggregate lead over Jamaica in the last KO round before group play.  They could be helped by a move to a neutral venue

I just don’t see how Nicaragua can beat us over 2 legs. They’re basically an entirely domestic squad. I could see them beating some of our past squads but we have too much talent now.

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I was thinking more about their ability to knock off Haiti

Oh ok, that’s not how I read it for some reason. Yeah I could see them theoretically beating Haiti (or getting a draw if they have better GD going into the match). 

Great qualifiers recap pod by CONCACAF expert Jon Arnold, the guy from BBC World Football Phone in.  The situation in Haiti is even more sketchy than I thought.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly90ZnNzLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz/episode/MmFmMDgxNTYtNGVhOS0xMWViLThjNjAtOTdhMDU3ZDBmNGZi?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwiAtKvR3tvvAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBA&hl=en-CA

He also writes an excellent newsletter on CONCACAF.  https://getconcacafed.substack.com/

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Great qualifiers recap pod by CONCACAF expert Jon Arnold, the guy from BBC World Football Phone in.  The situation in Haiti is even more sketchy than I thought.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly90ZnNzLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz/episode/MmFmMDgxNTYtNGVhOS0xMWViLThjNjAtOTdhMDU3ZDBmNGZi?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwiAtKvR3tvvAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQBA&hl=en-CA

He also writes an excellent newsletter on CONCACAF.  https://getconcacafed.substack.com/

Yah check some footage. Its like Mad Max or because they're French maybe Mad Maxime 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Maybe I can make you more nervous about Haiti. It's worth noting that they actually played their home game in Haiti this window (according to Wikipedia). If they get a home game and we have to settle for hosting our leg in USA, that gives them an advantage.

• Admin locked this topic