The Road to Qatar.

Binky

20 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe I can make you more nervous about Haiti. It's worth noting that they actually played their home game in Haiti this window (according to Wikipedia). If they get a home game and we have to settle for hosting our leg in USA, that gives them an advantage.

I can’t imagine that we would travel to Haiti for quite awhile after Belize was held up by armed bandits. To me that’s an obvious player safety risk and I would be shocked if FIFA held it against any nation.

Edited by Floortom

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe I can make you more nervous about Haiti. It's worth noting that they actually played their home game in Haiti this window (according to Wikipedia). If they get a home game and we have to settle for hosting our leg in USA, that gives them an advantage.

After what happened to the Belize team its doubtful they will be allowed to host matches in June.

Next week Arcahaie CCL game was moved to Dominican Republic 

10 hours ago, narduch said:

After what happened to the Belize team its doubtful they will be allowed to host matches in June.

Next week Arcahaie CCL game was moved to Dominican Republic 

After what happened to the Chile u-20s in Toronto we were banned from hosting any international games for years. Because FIFA is like that, right?

13 hours ago, Floortom said:

I can’t imagine that we would travel to Haiti for quite awhile after Belize was held up by armed bandits. To me that’s an obvious player safety risk and I would be shocked if FIFA held it against any nation.

I totally forgot about that incident when I made my comment. It would seem appropriate for them to not be able to host in June. We could still end up on a cricket pitch somewhere that plays against our strengths though.

Here's my nightmare scenario:

Health Canada refuses to let Canada host. Haiti is prevented from hosting due to safety concerns. Both legs thus take place at a neutral venue, but here's the twist: Since neither team is home or away, aggregate becomes meaningless, so they reduce it to a single elimination.

Single elimination against Haiti scares me.

Edited by Obinna

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Here's my nightmare scenario:

Health Canada refuses to let Canada host. Haiti is prevented from hosting due to safety concerns. Both legs thus take place at a neutral venue, but here's the twist: Since neither team is home or away, aggregate becomes meaningless, so they reduce it to a single elimination.

Single elimination against Haiti scares me.

Under those circumstances I think they would still play two games at a neutral venue (or venues).  They could designate a “home” team for each game or just use aggregated score and PKs or something - but reducing it to a single game would be an unnecessary level of adjustment.   

45 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Under those circumstances I think they would still play two games at a neutral venue (or venues).  They could designate a “home” team for each game or just use aggregated score and PKs or something - but reducing it to a single game would be an unnecessary level of adjustment.   

Good points. Certainly makes me feel better to read. The other thing to is they won't know the winners until the 8th and the 2nd round starts on the 12th, so not much time to adjust the format. So my nightmare scenario is probably unrealistic, thankfully. 

Removing the away goal rule is probably the way to go. Keep the aggregate and going to extra time and PKs if needed in the second game.

Makes no sense to have an away goal rule when there's no away team. 

On the other hand, they probably won't change anything at that stage of the game.

Either way, promises to be an awkward fixture. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:45 PM, Obinna said:

Removing the away goal rule is probably the way to go. Keep the aggregate and going to extra time and PKs if needed in the second game.

Makes no sense to have an away goal rule when there's no away team. 

On the other hand, they probably won't change anything at that stage of the game.

Either way, promises to be an awkward fixture. 

Only they are doing just that in dozens of European club matches, this year. Playing parts of home and away ties at neutral grounds, keeping away goals rule. So there is a precedent, however illogical. 

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's not what happened but nice try and love the sense of humour. 

That's the official account from the police and CP eye witnesses.  But please do enlighten us with the account from the ultra-reliable Chilean press where I'm sure the players did nothing wrong and the police went on an unprovoked malicious attacking spree on a team of athletes at a major sporting event.  Totally plausible.  Even though they had to be physically restrained from attacking the referee minutes earlier at the end of the game, I'm sure they had calmed down to a very peaceful state and were totally innocent victims.

9 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

That's the official account from the police and CP eye witnesses.  But please do enlighten us with the account from the ultra-reliable Chilean press where I'm sure the players did nothing wrong and the police went on an unprovoked malicious attacking spree on a team of athletes at a major sporting event.  Totally plausible.  Even though they had to be physically restrained from attacking the referee minutes earlier at the end of the game, I'm sure they had calmed down to a very peaceful state and were totally innocent victims.

God I hope they don't let you have children.

5 minutes ago, Canadamnt said:

With an easy game against Aruba to come, I feel that this is Canada’s best lineup for an attacking minded game. It is similar to how Croatia lined up against Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup with 4 attackers.

829047A6-03D3-41AB-B939-45EA73DD7C2C.png

Not sure about the formation (not my strong suit) but I doubt we just go 3 at the back with no other proper defenders   I would rather see us use a formation that we are likely so see later on in qualifying so that the boys build more and more familiarity. 

Having said that, I would use this as an opportunity to give St Clair a start.  We aren’t likely to get shelled by Aruba and we used the first 2 games to give Milan and Maxime a turn, so I would like to see Dayne given a shot (and what better game to try a new keeper).  

And as much as I respect Sammy’s contributions to date, I think I favour Eustaquio at this point - especially in a game where Piette’s bulldog skills may not be as necessary and Eustaquio’s passing range may be better on offence.  

The Aruba game should be ALL about setting ourselves up for the Suriname game ... the main question right now is David’s status ... little else matters at the moment.  Maybe use the Aruba game to give David ~30 minutes ... and hope he’s ready to start vs Suriname 

30 minutes ago, Addona said:

The Aruba game should be ALL about setting ourselves up for the Suriname game ... the main question right now is David’s status ... little else matters at the moment.  Maybe use the Aruba game to give David ~30 minutes ... and hope he’s ready to start vs Suriname 

I disagree that little else matters but David’s status. He’s a key player and the best striker in CONCACAF but we just put up 16 in two games and likely just need a draw against Suriname anyhow. Our biggest concern is being organized and keeping a clean sheet. 

• Admin locked this topic