The Road to Qatar.

Binky

41 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I disagree that little else matters but David’s status. He’s a key player and the best striker in CONCACAF but we just put up 16 in two games and likely just need a draw against Suriname anyhow. Our biggest concern is being organized and keeping a clean sheet. 

Agreed. 

Im not concerned, I rather him rest than jeopardize his career for a game against Aruba. Maybe if he doesn’t come for WCQ, he can attend the GC as the silver lining.

Im comfortable knowing that we can use either Cyle or Lucas in the 9 spot. As I prefer Davies, Millar, Corbeanu, Buchanan or Hoilett as the wide options in the 4-3-3 setup that we are “supposed” to play.

At this point, I’m only concerned if we don’t have Davies - he’s our everything.

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

Agreed. 

Im not concerned, I rather him rest than jeopardize his career for a game against Aruba. Maybe if he doesn’t come for WCQ, he can attend the GC as the silver lining.

Im comfortable knowing that we can use either Cyle or Lucas in the 9 spot. As I prefer Davies, Millar, Corbeanu, Buchanan or Hoilett as the wide options in the 4-3-3 setup that we are “supposed” to play.

At this point, I’m only concerned if we don’t have Davies - he’s our everything.

I don’t care about the Aruba game ... it’s the other 3 that are supremely important!  I would just use the Aruba game to get him some action if he doesn’t get much between now and then.

10 hours ago, Addona said:

I don’t care about the Aruba game ... it’s the other 3 that are supremely important!  I would just use the Aruba game to get him some action if he doesn’t get much between now and then.

Totally forgot, that it’s basically a 4 game window.

I like that for the match with Suriname, we will be arranging where it's played since it's our home match.

Aruba gets to arrange our first match in June. Last month, they played their home match at IMG Academy in Bradenton. If they do the same thing again and go with IMG in June (assuming it can't be played in Aruba), that could work out incredibly well for us. We could arrange our home match against Suriname for IMG and we'd get to play the final 2 matches of the opening round in the exact same location. With potentially 4 matches in June, if there was an opportunity to have no travel between the first match and the second, that would be ideal.

I like the familiarity we have with IMG (facilities and protocols) and the successful history we've had there (record-tying 8-0 vs. US Virgin Islands, record-breaking 11-0 vs. Cayman Islands). I think it would be nice to play Suriname at IMG since it's a facility we're very comfortable with.

Edited by jtpc

For presentation optics and better match day facilities, if they're playing in Florida, it is better to go with Orlando's stadium again. It's available since MLS is on break in early June. Big match needs big match surroundings. 

Cayman Islands wanted to play in Orlando but stadium price was too steep for them. So, likely Aruba match is at IMG. 

During the #CanWNT match today on OneSoccer, there were was an advert where they mention they will broadcast the Aruba match. I suppose they made a deal with Aruba where they will broadcast the match and retransmit it as they did for (EDIT) The Cayman Islands.

(Technically, they needed to make a deal with Aruba, as they are the host nation; glad that they did!)

This means OneSoccer will have both matches.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

20 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

During the #CanWNT match today, there were was an advert where they mention they will broadcast the Aruba match. I suppose they made a deal with Aruba where they will broadcast the match and retransmit it as they did for Bermuda. (Technically, they needed to make a deal with Aruba as they are the host nation; glad that they did!)

The Bermuda match was a home match so it was actually the Cayman Islands match.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

2 of those are intercontinental playoff places that require winning 2 single leg KO rounds so it's still a big ask

So this is only an additional .5 spots compared to 6.5 that CONCACAF would get if the confederation was not the host?

3 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

So this is only an additional .5 spots compared to 6.5 that CONCACAF would get if the confederation was not the host?

Yes. The host confederation gets an extra place in the 2026 intercontinental playoff. It's 6 teams playing for two places. 1 from each confederation except UEFA plus one more from the host confederation.  Single leg KO at a neutral site.  Two seeded teams get a bye to the 2nd round.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Yes. The host confederation gets an extra place in the 2026 intercontinental playoff. It's 6 teams playing for two places. 1 from each confederation except UEFA plus one more from the host confederation.  Single leg KO at a neutral site.  Two seeded teams get a bye to the 2nd round.

Do we know how teams are seeded? Is it by confederation? Or by FIFA ranking?

• Admin locked this topic