The Road to Qatar.

Binky

In terms of CONCACAF rules, it looks like Cuba will be allowed to play at home (afternoon games, no stadium lights) at the Pedro Marrero stadium. TV broadcast considerations are not considered important until the Octo.

Also, the Cuban authorities are just as hesitant about hosting games as the Canadian ones.

http://www.radiohc.cu/noticias/deportes/231062-futbol-cubano-evalua-situacion-rumbo-a-eliminatoria-de-concacaf

http://www.radiocaibarien.icrt.cu/2020/08/10/futbol-cubano-atento-a-eliminatorias-de-concacaf/

I assume the draw is still this Friday?

On 7/30/2020 at 2:08 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

There's a possibility that Trinidad may be suspended from FIFA for government interference.  This could eliminate them from WCQ.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/07/30/comment-world-cup-will-trinidad-left-playing-tobago/

It is important to note this FIFA rule on government interference is only ever applied to small countries or those with no power in the world.  

We should know more about Trinidad on August 13th (Thursday), right before the draw on Friday, August 14th.

https://sportsmax.tv/index.php/football/regional/item/67088-court-to-decide-aug-13-whether-to-send-fifa-ttfa-dispute-back-to-cas

47 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Not much insight here.  Focused on Guatemala and missed Suriname. And they rambled and repeated themselves a lot.   

Yeah, I don’t think they’re wrong that if you look at the teams, Guatemala jumps out as historically the best opponent. Kind of weird though that they point out the possibility of Bermuda having some 3rd or 4th division English players join without mentioning Suriname and their Dutch players. I do think Bermuda could be a little scary as well with Nakhi Wells but Suriname could be the best of the bunch with the right players joining.

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

If Bermuda can convince CB Kortney Hause and GK Nathan Trott to play for them and add some support guys like LW Djair Parfitt-Williams, CB Triston Hall. This team can be pretty scary to play against. They’re going to a huge wild card team. 

I had to Google all of those guys because I'd never heard of them, even the guy at Villa (I do watch a lot of Premier League, as well). So, one marginal player on the worst team in the Premier League (I'm going to go ahead and put each of the 3 promoted teams ahead of Villa, pending any transfer dealings over the next 2 months), and 3 guys who'd be hard-pressed to get into our 23-man squad even during a severe injury crisis? You think those 4 potential additions make Bermuda a scary proposition?

18 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I had to Google all of those guys because I'd never heard of them, even the guy at Villa (I do watch a lot of Premier League, as well). So, one marginal player on the worst team in the Premier League (I'm going to go ahead and put each of the 3 promoted teams ahead of Villa, pending any transfer dealings over the next 2 months), and 3 guys who'd be hard-pressed to get into our 23-man squad even during a severe injury crisis? You think those 4 potential additions make Bermuda a scary proposition?

Maybe not scary as in we should be scared of them, but scary as in able to cause us enough problems to derail our plans. 

We have the talent to win all group games, and should do so, but there is no margin for error. We cannot draw or lose any games. We cannot slip up and hope our rivals do the same. We need to take care of business.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Maybe not scary as in we should be scared of them, but scary as in able to cause us enough problems to derail our plans. 

We have the talent to win all group games, and should do so, but there is no margin for error. We cannot draw or lose any games. We cannot slip up and hope our rivals do the same. We need to take care of business.

The pressure has gone up on John Herdman to get results with our current squad. He now has to take our "talented team on paper" and produce on the field.  No more excuses .... I hope he can deliver.

Next Wednesday's draw will not only be for round 1 and 2, but also the positions in which the 8  teams will play in the octagonal and therefore will determine the match schedule.

Considering the match schedule positions 5 and 6 seem to be the best

image.png.ff891072ea86dbba039ad2c0dd2514b4.png

Edited by xabuep2

11 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

A troubling sign.   Asia has given up trying to play qualifiers the rest of the year due to covid.  

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/08/12/covid-fears-force-afc-push-world-cup-asian-cup-qualifiers-back-2021/

UEFA canceled an early round Champions League qualifier yesterday after 2 players on a team from Kosovo tested positive 

According to the draw procedures PDF, the match schedule for the first round will follow a format similar to this:

FIFA Window 1:

Wed: 2 vs 4, Thu: 1 vs 3, Sat: 5 vs 2, Sun: 4 vs 1, Tue: 3 vs 5

FIFA Window 2:

Wed: 4 vs 5, Fri: 2 vs 3, Sat: 5 vs 1, Tue: 3 vs 4 and 1 vs 2

Since we occupy position 1 in our group as a top seed and given how they've written the matchups, I'm assuming our 2 home matches are against the pot 2 team and the pot 3 team. In normal times, that would have been a fantastic advantage. I guess it still could be, but we'll see. Looking forward to a week from today when the draw takes place!  

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/ygwzvy8jhzkxjqiubexv.pdf

Edited by jtpc

1 minute ago, jtpc said:

According to the draw procedures PDF...

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/ygwzvy8jhzkxjqiubexv.pdf

Yes, I posted about this on the previous page. This is the information Mister Chip seemed to have access to before anybody else:

On 7/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thursday, October 8th: Pot #4 team vs Canada
Sunday, October 11th: Canada vs Pot #3 team

Saturday, November 14th: Pot #5 team vs Canada
Tuesday, November 17th: Canada vs Pot #2 team

Travel quarantines probably won't allow for this, but it's fun to dream!

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yes, I posted about this on the previous page. This is the information Mister Chip seemed to have access to before anybody else:

2 matches in 3 days eh? Have to kind of cram them in with this format. Going to need a bit of squad rotation I’d assume. Hopefully we’ll be able to get our full squad of players.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I assume Concacaf and the Member Associations will try to negotiate a deal with the countries governments where they go only from the hotel to the stadium/practice area and never go into public. Probably will also have to be tested before travelling and before games. If not possible then I assume they will have to play in a neutral venue where there aren't many cases ie Montserrat, Dominica, St lucia etc.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

12 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

A troubling sign.   Asia has given up trying to play qualifiers the rest of the year due to covid.  

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2020/08/12/covid-fears-force-afc-push-world-cup-asian-cup-qualifiers-back-2021/

I live in Hong Kong and this does not surprise.  A good part of Asia's tolerance for Covid 19 cases is a lot less than you see in Europe and especially the Americans (including the US).  If we are to go ahead in October and November, I highly suspect that Henry will not be participating as Korea is definitely within that group of countries.  Personally, I don't see this changing by January (it seems they want another FIFA date then) or March next year as even with the possibility of there being a vaccine finished 3rd phase trials and approved for use, it wont be readily available and highly unlikely that football players will be prioritised

15 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Reading through the article, I feels like finding a light in the end of our WCQ tunnel: 

"The key date in the current international calendar is to qualify teams for the World Cup by March 2022, in time for the final inter-confederation play-off between the AFC qualifier and, most likely, a Concacaf qualifier for the final 2022 qualification place. "

• Admin locked this topic