The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 hours ago, lamptern said:

Reading through the article, I feels like finding a light in the end of our WCQ tunnel: 

"The key date in the current international calendar is to qualify teams for the World Cup by March 2022, in time for the final inter-confederation play-off between the AFC qualifier and, most likely, a Concacaf qualifier for the final 2022 qualification place. "

missed that.  And previously we heard we would be playing the winner of the Oceania region.  Anyway, personally I would still take AFC.  We just dont want it to be Conmebol 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

missed that.  And previously we heard we would be playing the winner of the Oceania region.  Anyway, personally I would still take AFC.  We just dont want it to be Conmebol 

I could be wrong but I think someone on here told me this before. Doesn’t the AFC get another slot or half slot since Qatar is host? Wiki says 4.5 not including host so going off rankings and assuming there are no upsets, we could end up playing  Saudi Arabia or Iraq? Very winnable. 

6 hours ago, Bdog said:

I could be wrong but I think someone on here told me this before. Doesn’t the AFC get another slot or half slot since Qatar is host? Wiki says 4.5 not including host so going off rankings and assuming there are no upsets, we could end up playing  Saudi Arabia or Iraq? Very winnable. 

Yeah there does seem to be a drop off after the top 4. Hopefully we avoid them all. I think we’d be the favourite against anyone outside of the top 4. I’d rather play any AFC team than CONMEBOL though, maybe with the exception of Japan. 

29 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I hope it doesn't happen they've been shafted so hard by FIFA, all because one of the losing candidates for the T&T preseidency is buddy buddy with FIFA and asked them to shut down the FA when he lost the nomination.

Edited by VinceA

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I hope it doesn't happen they've been shafted so hard by FIFA, all because one of the losing candidates for the T&T preseidency is buddy buddy with FIFA and asked them to shut down the FA when he lost the nomination.

Fuck 'em! They raped and pillaged for a couple of decades thanks to Warner. Let them suffer now that the pendulum has swung against them.

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

**** 'em! They raped and pillaged for a couple of decades thanks to Warner. Let them suffer now that the pendulum has swung against them.

What a shitty take. The new president that got elected was the one who was reforming the FA and helping bring them into the next decade. He wasn't a crony like Warner was. Unfortunately the guy who lost is a crony and then asked FIFA to oust the new board and install a "normalization" committee.

Edited by VinceA

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

What a ****** take. The new president that got elected was the one who was reforming the FA and helping bring them into the next decade. He wasn't a crony like Warner was. Unfortunately the guy who lost is a crony and then asked FIFA to oust the new board and install a "normalization" committee.

I don't know anything about the inside politics of the T&T federation. However, until Warner stole their training centre and players' WC bonuses, I don't recall anyone on that side complaining that his corruption was helping them get unjustly ahead. 

On 8/13/2020 at 3:09 AM, lamptern said:

in time for the final inter-confederation play-off

The inter-confederation play-off will be a FIFA organised draw Victor Montagliani told diez.hn. The draw date is TBD and FIFA has not even decided when or how they will do it.

Apparently he said:

'Es un sorteo de FIFA. No sé cuándo es la fecha para ello, ninguno sabe, FIFA no ha confirmado cuándo será'

https://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/1398346-498/víctor-montagliani-se-refiere-al-repechaje-intercontinental-preolímpico-de-concacaf-y-premundial

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

On 8/11/2020 at 1:01 AM, lamptern said:

Will there be a streaming for the draw on Aug 14th?

Not a word on CONCACAF website nor App.

I was wondering the exact same thing. Looks like the answer is yes.

Just saw this at the bottom of a FIFA press release: "Fans around the world will be able to follow the draw live on FIFA.com, with the exception of the territories where the draw will be broadcast live on TV."

I'm guessing we won't be a live on tv country, so we'll be able to watch the stream.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/concacaf-preliminary-draw-set-to-map-qualification-pathway-towards-fifa-world-cu

Can't wait to see who will be in our first round group!

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Since we have to play some minnows all I ask is that we’re not drawn against teams we’ve seen recently. I don’t want Cuba, Dominica, st kitts or usvi. Give me the British virgin islands, ill take Nicaragua or even Bahamas. 

I totally get it but at this point I just want to see our boys play some damn footy.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Jamaica has started to shake the England tree to see what falls out. 5 or 6 EPL players and a Rangers player. 

Roughly: 

Ethan Laird, Manchester United

Kemar Roofe, Glasgow Rangers

Kalvin Phillips, Leeds United

Reece James, Chelsea

Mason Holgate, Everton

Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Arsenal

Mason Greenwood, Manchester United 

Won't get all of them. But 2-3 would give them a real boost. We'll see, 

5 minutes ago, One American said:

Jamaica has started to shake the England tree to see what falls out. 5 or 6 EPL players and a Rangers player. 

Roughly: 

Reece James, Chelsea

Mason Holgate, Everton

Is your list intentionally from most to least likely by any chance, or is that just coincidence?

I will go ahead and say that none of those players will suit up for Jamaica for 2022 qualifying, or even if they qualify for the World Cup. The chances will go up slightly on the first 2-3 on the list for the 2026 cycle, should none of those three get an England sniff before then. For Maitland-Niles, James, and Greenwood, I'd suggest the chances would be 20%, 10%, and ZERO, respectively. If any of those get to the point where they see their England chances are so low that they'll jump to Jamaica, it'll mean that their careers haven't panned out anywhere close to what they'd hoped.

6 hours ago, One American said:

Roughly: 

Reece James, Chelsea

Mason Holgate, Everton

Wow being a Jamaica fan must be way more frustrating and uncertain than  being Canadian. We get worked up about an MLS player who scores a couple goals and is eligible for us. They could likely play a full 11 of EPL players.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Wow being a Jamaica fan must be way more frustrating and uncertain than  being Canadian. We get worked up about an MLS player who scores a couple goals and is eligible for us. They could likely play a full 11 of EPL players.

But in all honesty can we really be frustrated of players that have never set foot in Canada and might only be eligible because a grandfather had a stopover in Canada while catching a connecting flight lol ? A player like that doesn’t choose Canada I don’t even think about it because really has no real connection to Canada. The guys that frustrate me are the players that were born and raised here or where raised in Canada and grew up playing soccer here in Canada that then choose to play for another country. If I guy like Arfield had chosen Scotland would we really have reason to be frustrated ? The guy was born and raised in Scotland and I don’t think had ever set foot in Canada . It’s great that he actually chose Canada to play for , but if guys like this choose the country of their birth or where they were raised from a very early childhood nothing to be frustrated over, a lot of these Jamaican players are like Arfield  born and raised in their cases in England so really can’t blame them if they chose to play for England.

8 hours ago, One American said:

Roughly: 

Reece James, Chelsea

Mason Holgate, Everton

Ouch, that could hurt in the future.

20 hours ago, Alex said:

Since we have to play some minnows all I ask is that we’re not drawn against teams we’ve seen recently. I don’t want Cuba, Dominica, st kitts or usvi. Give me the British virgin islands, ill take Nicaragua or even Bahamas. 

I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to play some different teams. The only exception to that for me is Saint Kitts and Nevis. People have been posting that they feel Suriname and Guatemala could potentially be part of an upper tier to pot 2, so if it meant getting one of the other 4 teams from pot 2 in our group, I would take Saint Kitts and Nevis again for sure.

• Admin locked this topic