The Road to Qatar.

Binky

There are some fun Voyageurs memories with a few countries in pot 3. I'm thinking specifically of Belize and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. I remember listening to Mad Bull and Maestro commentating when we played Belize, and hearing ads for Benny's (your #1 store!). For Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, we kept hearing an ad for a bakery that was either on Upper Middle Street or Lower Middle Street, can't remember (maybe other Vs can fill in the gaps on the bakery name and street), but I think it was across the street from the Kingstown Library. It's crazy the things that stick in your head as a Voyageur when the only way we could follow a match was to listen to other countries' radio feeds or livestreams. 

Even though it would be nice to play some countries we've never played, for Vs nostalgia, I wouldn't mind Belize or Saint Vincent and the Grenadines as our pot 3 team.

4 minutes ago, jtpc said:

There are some fun Voyageurs memories with a few countries in pot 3. I'm thinking specifically of Belize and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. I remember listening to Mad Bull and Maestro commentating when we played Belize, and hearing ads for Benny's (your #1 store!). For Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, we kept hearing an ad for a bakery that was either on Upper Middle Street or Lower Middle Street, can't remember (maybe other Vs can fill in the gaps on the bakery name and street), but I think it was across the street from the Kingstown Library. It's crazy the things that stick in your head as a Voyageur when the only way we could follow a match was to listen to other countries' radio feeds or livestreams. 

Even though it would be nice to play some countries we've never played, for Vs nostalgia, I wouldn't mind Belize or Saint Vincent and the Grenadines as our pot 3 team.

Phillips Bakery, across from the library. I had an Uber driver last year and he told me he was from St. V&G and I asked him if he knew about Phillips Bakery - I told him "It's across from the library". The man was absolutely blown away. 

22 hours ago, narduch said:

When I think of Belize I think of watching them live in Kingston and getting soaking wet.

That's the last time I ever wore jeans to a soccer match.

I remember leaving a friend's house in Kingston to go to the Canada game early and thinking "it looks like England has this match under control". 

But then:  Zidane Goal 90+1'90+3'

Still worth it.  😀

1 hour ago, Kyle_The_Hill said:

We host 2 & 3 and are away to 4 & 5

Which gives us, as I have posted a few times (ever since Mister Chip got the advance scoop on the schedule):

EDIT: Wait, my bad, CONCACAF changed the schedule!

So now it's:

On 7/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thursday, October 8th: Canada vs Pot #3 team
Sunday, October 11th: Pot #4 team vs Canada

Saturday, November 14th: Pot #5 team vs Canada
Tuesday, November 17th: Canada vs Pot #2 team

A travel nightmare in the age of COVID19.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

According to the FIFA website, the draw will be livestreamed on FIFA.com and on their official YouTube page.

Of the 26 countries they list that the livestream will not be available in, only 2 are CONCACAF nations: USA and Puerto Rico, so we should be able to access it tomorrow.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/coming-soon-live-stream-for-the-preliminary-draw-for-concacaf-qatar-2022-qualifi

6 minutes ago, jtpc said:

According to the FIFA website, the draw will be livestreamed on FIFA.com and on their official YouTube page.

Of the 26 countries they list that the livestream will not be available in, only 2 are CONCACAF nations: USA and Puerto Rico, so we should be able to access it tomorrow.

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/coming-soon-live-stream-for-the-preliminary-draw-for-concacaf-qatar-2022-qualifi

1 PM Eastern time.

28 minutes ago, jtpc said:

According to the FIFA website...only 2 are CONCACAF nations: USA and Puerto Rico, so we should be able to access it tomorrow.

Interesting that they included the USA and Puerto Rico but did not include the U.S. Virgin Islands. :D

5 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I think the big team to dodge is Suriname. With Ryan Donk and co. they're on a similar tier to us, with a way more competent defense. 

and Guatemala. The others are alright.

Would you want Suriname or Guatemala in Haiti's group?

If we make it through the first round, who would you rather play? Haiti, Guatemala or Suriname?

25 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

1 PM Eastern time.

There will be lengthy introductions, recaps of the draw process and boring speeches (in English and Spanish) as per usual. I bet you that nothing interesting happens until 1:20pm.

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

And Guatemala. The others are alright.

Would you want Suriname or Guatemala in Haiti's group?

If we make it through the first round, who would you rather play? Haiti, Guatemala or Suriname?

There will be lengthy introductions, recaps of the draw process and boring speeches (in English and Spanish) as per usual. I bet you that nothing interesting happens until 1:20pm.

Guatemala have any secret weapons they're calling up? If so, ideally, they wouldn't be in either of our groups. I think Suriname is legit better than Haiti.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Several changes approved for CONCACAF WCQ:

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/fifa-council-unanimously-approves-covid-19-relief-plan

-No games in September this year.

-The June 2021 window becomes 4 matches.

-They postponed the inter-continental playoff to June 2022 (allowing for CONCACAF WCQ matches in March 2022).

Several NEW changes approved by FIFA:

https://www.fifa.com/who-we-are/news/further-changes-to-the-international-match-calendars-due-to-the-covid-19-pandemi

-The September window is scrapped for everyone except UEFA (CONMEBOL was going to play, clearly impossible).

-An extra FIFA window was added in late January! (This is a good back-up if games 4 games cannot be played in Oct/Nov)

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/wt4ycd2y7awqfslrf8wi.pdf

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Herdman will be interviewed by the One Soccer crew in the pre game for Forge v HFX. Some time after 7pm ET

I hope they ask Herdman if there will be any issues with clubs allowing players to come over and play whether it be in Canada or in Central America/Caribbean. Also, have they spoken to governments about issues? 

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

I hope they ask Herdman if there will be any issues with clubs allowing players to come over and play whether it be in Canada or in Central America/Caribbean. Also, have they spoken to governments about issues? 

For instance Germany allows travel to Canada as they consider us a safe country. But if we have a road game in a high risk country a person would need to quarantine for 14 days upon re entry.

• Admin locked this topic