The Road to Qatar.

Binky

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks!

This format makes sense to me. It's actually pretty decent. The fact they predetermine we play Haiti is still weird, but maybe I am just complaining because I am kinda afraid to play them lol

Based on seeding of the top teams in each group. 6th seed plays 11th, 7th plays 10th, 8th plays 9th. It’s the fairest way to do it I personally think, but yeah Haiti is a bit scary. 

Just now, archer21 said:

Based on seeding of the top teams in each group. 6th seed plays 11th, 7th plays 10th, 8th plays 9th. It’s the fairest way to do it I personally think, but yeah Haiti is a bit scary. 

That's fair enough then. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Thanks!

This format makes sense to me. It's actually pretty decent. The fact they predetermine we play Haiti is still weird, but maybe I am just complaining because I am kinda afraid to play them lol

Yes I totally agree we were the better team against Haiti minus to Godhino mental collapses. But like everyone says if we are worried about facing Haiti, why do you want to make the Octogon, where we then have to go play Mexico, USA, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica? Surely Haiti isn’t as strong as those nations. We have the talent to make the Octogon, but then again anything could happen we just got to have faith.

With countries treating the virus differently, I could see us playing them away in a full stadium and us playing them in an empty BMO. 😔

It’s a 1 off match with each team in your group. 4 matches total, 2 home and 2 away for each team. Not sure how they decide who gets to be home for each match.

Just now, Daryn27 said:

Yes I totally agree we were the better team against Haiti minus to Godhino mental collapses. But like everyone says if we are worried about facing Haiti, why do you want to make the Octogon, where we then have to go play Mexico, USA, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica? Surely Haiti isn’t as strong as those nations. We have the talent to make the Octogon, but then again anything could happen we just got to have faith.

Yeah Haiti is not as strong but their style of play worries me, as does their possible psychological edge over us.

That said, two legs makes me a little more calm. Maybe we use it as motivation to take the game to them, a la nycfc over tfc last night... 

13 minutes ago, archer21 said:

It’s a 1 off match with each team in your group. 4 matches total, 2 home and 2 away for each team. Not sure how they decide who gets to be home for each match.

Right right. 

Regardless though, I think it'll be unfortunate if we are playing in an empty stadium if other teams do not. Would concacaf force all teams to play behind closed doors I wonder? Wouldn't be very fair if we have to play behind closed doors when others don't. What about in the Octagonal? Imagine playing in a packed San Pedro Sula and then turning around and playing in an empty stadium in Canada.

At least we wouldn't have to worry about our opponents away fans lol 

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Maybe we'll be able to have partially filled home games if we play in somewhere like Manitoba or the Maritimes. We could play at King George V park or something.

Good luck with that. Newfoundland is becoming very closed off now. There is a snowballs chance in hell they'd be open to that. 

Good luck with that. Newfoundland is becoming very closed off now. There is a snowballs chance in hell they'd be open to that. 

Wanderers ground it is, except if the entire Maritimes is telling people to go away. Maybe they can get an exception if the teams only travel from the hotel to the ground by bus and never go in public...

Edited by SkuseisLoose

Just now, SkuseisLoose said:

Wanderers ground it is, except if the entire Maritimes is telling people to go away.

Yeah I was going to say. I would expect it to be similar in the Maritimes. 

In this case (and many others) Newfoundland is the extreme version of what you find elsewhere in Atlantic Canada ;)

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not sure what folks are arguing re the flu.  Annual flu deaths in the US are estimated to be around 35,000.  The US death count due to COVID is 150,000 so far.  And I am using US numbers because large swathes of the population have ignored social distancing and masking policies so they approximate a "control" group with relatively weak interventions and public health restrictions.  Common sense says that makes COVID significantly more dangerous.  Whether it is due to the fatality rate or the transmission rate, the reality is that it has led to a substantially higher number of fatalities this year.  Throw in the emerging evidence of long term health impacts from COVID, and it seems silly to downplay the threat of COVID prior to the development of a vaccine.     

I'm on the same page as this ^.

IPAC ( Infection Prevention and Control Canada) has the average flu mortality rate in Canada 500-1500 deaths average over the last 10 years.  We are almost at 9,000 deaths and that is with all these protocols.  

I'm not a medical expert and I'm not comparing the mortality % rate if you get it, I am simply comparing the total # of deaths. It's a massive difference. 

Anyways as for the format itself, I am glad it is going to be an 8 team octagonal. The fact you are in an entire different tournament to play for a .5 spot vs whoever it be (New Zealand, Iran, Argentina) was a major integrity and ethical issue. This new system by no means is perfect, but any team essentially ranked in the top 30 has the chance to obtain one of the 3 automatic spots. if you can't win a group and beat a team in a Home and Home ranked between 6-30 you probably should not be in the world cup anyways. 

Edited by apbsmith

3 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I like that it's Haiti. Our loss to them at the Gold Cup means we won't take them too lightly. Also compared to Central America it won't be nearly as hostile.

Even though I am concerned about them, I would prefer that to Panama. They definitely have a more hostile crowd. 

T&T would have been the best draw, but if have learned anything from the Americans, it is not to under estimate the Trinidadians. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

This is basically the nations league qualifiers all over again. I'm not mad, as we should have no problem advancing. The only thing that I am worried about, is that we don't have the opportunity to schedule some games against tougher competition before the Ocho happens. 

THE OCHO! 

love it. 

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I know you're all moving on from this and I'm not sure where this all started and not really interested in going back through it all, but one thing you need to understand about this is the politicization of Covid "death rates".  Looking at the numbers directly attributed to Covid can be misleading due to where you are getting your numbers and what their message is.

The solution is to look at "excess death" (or "excess mortality") rates which compare how many people die around this time of year to the same in past years, regardless of cause.  In a "normal" year, it follows the same pattern however this year is different.  It is clear that Covid is having a significantly high impact on this where some countries are (or were prior to quarantine measures being taken) experiencing 25% to 50% more deaths per week than you would normally see at the same time any other year.  This is the Covid affect.

To compare it to the seasonal flu is inaccurate.  A particularly bad case of the seasonal flu doesn't account for a spike where twice as many people died in Ecuador in April than what is seen every other year.

This information is widely available.  I urge you to seek it out.

I dont want to get in to it because it's very personal to me but what you wrote is a load of rubbish. Just stop

CAYMAN ISLAND BUBBLE ....for October and November Games????

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see a home and away happening for those first 2 windows. 

I really think a Carribean bubble as a host country might be the right play for those first two windows. 

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Ok here you answer: Octuber 5-13: Canada away vs 4 and at home vs 3. November 9-17: Canada away vs 5 and at home vs 2

image.png.778ed570807b37e15576f5aa96b1b850.png

Check min 3.35

• Admin locked this topic