The Road to Qatar.

Binky

7 hours ago, Razcal said:

If we can't beat Haiti in a home and away we don't deserve to be in the Hex.

Haiti away.....having been to both Stade Sylvio Cator in Port-au-Prince and the Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula, let me tell you that playing Haiti away won't be easy. Sylvio Cator is not as big and not quite as loud (who knows if there will be crowds or not) as the Olímpico Metropolitano but you have the same sense of being on edge with the loud crowd being held back by fences. A stadium slowly crumbling in the tropics. Just as hot and humid (although 7pm kickoff is better than a 3pm kickoff).

6 hours ago, Alex said:

August 14 is the draw and the only teams playing this fall are the lower seeds, not the top 5 

It's funny how CONCACAF said: "The draw for all rounds of the Concacaf Qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 will take place in mid-August 2020 with full details to follow in the coming days" https://www.concacaf.com/en/article/new-concacaf-qualifiers-announced-for-regional-qualification-to-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022

but the press seems to know the exact draw date: August 14th.

(the question @archer21 & @xabuep2 was asking)

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-path-to-the-2022-world-cup-becomes-clearer-1.1500469

6 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

2. Against which teams the 2 home and 2 away games will be played .

3. For being a pentagonal, 5 FIFA dates must be played in October and November, not 4 dates as reported

It will look something like this:

Matchday #1
Canada vs B
C vs D
(E doesn't play)

Matchday #2
E vs Canada
B vs C
(D doesn't play)

Matchday #3
D vs Canada
E vs B
(C doesn't play)

Matchday #4
Canada vs C
D vs E
(B doesn't play)

Matchday #5
B vs D
C vs E
(Canada doesn't play)

So 4 games for each team over 5 matchdays. How do they fit 5 matchdays into 2 FIFA windows? Does anybody know?

Being our highest ranking opponent, obviously we want to play "B" at home.

Easiest outcome:
St. Kitts and Nevis, Dominican Republic or Nicaragua at home.
Most difficult outcome:
Guatemala or Suriname(with a bunch of Dutch players) away.
In this scenario, a draw or a loss could kick us out of WCQ very early.
I wouldn't be looking towards Haiti. We aren't going to waltz into Guatemala City and grab 3 points like it's nothing. I assume André Kamperveen Stadium in Paramaribo isn't a walk in the park either.

Nothing interesting about the "C" teams besides the fact that some will be difficult away. Avoiding Bermuda or Grenada would bring added peace of mind.

Of the "D" teams, Cuba in Havana at 3pm would be challenge once again. Montserrat would be nice to avoid.

The "E" teams don't really matter.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Vic says teams will be free to play with fans as long as it is permitted by their local authorities.  He calls it a "domestic decision".

Says they have contingencies in place if Covid strikes in the fall.

That sucks.  Seems to un-level the playing field if other countries don’t take social distancing requirements as seriously.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

That sucks.  Seems to un-level the playing field if other countries don’t take social distancing requirements as seriously.  

Well I don't expect them to stop other teams from having fans, just because Canada wants to stick it's head in the sand. 

You're right it would suck, but it is what it is.

31 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Ok here you answer: Octuber 5-13: Canada away vs 4 and at home vs 3. November 9-17: Canada away vs 5 and at home vs 2

image.png.778ed570807b37e15576f5aa96b1b850.png

Check min 3.35

Awesome, I didn’t look closely enough when watching the video I guess. That makes winning the group exponentially easier since we get home matches against the other 2 best teams.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

In other words, more or less the chance of you dying from covid-19 is the same as dying from the seasonal flu.

This is absolutely not true. Stop spreading dangerous lies. Somehow you seem to assume that Covid is massively under-reported to health authorities ... but flu isn't. I've had flu 2 or 3 times ... I was in hospital the last time, and as it was already weeks past any contagious-like symptoms, they didn't even bother to test for it (I was having some post-flu blood pressure issue). I didn't even go to the doctor the previous times. If anything, flu is even more under-reported than Covid.

It's been widely reported that flu is more contagious than this strain of Coronavirus.

And it's been widely reported that in many places, that the deaths from Covid in just 4 months exceed the number of flu deaths a year.

With those two pieces of information alone, it's blatantly obvious that Covid is more fatal than the flu. Let alone all the experts ...

To come here with outrageous lies, is tantamount to terrorism and assult.

Edited by nfitz

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Well I don't expect them to stop other teams from having fans, just because Canada wants to stick it's head in the sand. 

You're right it would suck, but it is what it is.

The funny thing is, with social distancing in place and strict assigned seating, you could spread out about 4500 people throughout a 30 000 capacity BMO Field quite safely I think. A mask would be required if you leave your seat (to go to washrooms, concessions etc). That would be about 15% capacity. No stranger right beside you or behind you; anybody not from your social bubble remains 2 metres away.

4500 people; the CSA can't complain; it's about what they'd get in attendance vs the U.S. Virgin Islands anyways! :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The funny thing is, with social distancing in place and strict assigned seating, you could spread out about 4500 people throughout a 30 000 capacity BMO Field quite safely I think. A mask would be required if you leave your seat (to go to washrooms, concessions etc). That would be about 15% capacity. No stranger right beside you or behind you; anybody not from your bubble remains 2 metres apart.

4500 people; the CSA can't complain; it's about what they'd get in attendance vs the U.S. Virgin Islands anyways! :D

Just keep people masked the entire game ... besides, it makes the smoke easier ...

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The funny thing is, with social distancing in place and strict assigned seating, you could spread out about 4500 people throughout a 30 000 capacity BMO Field quite safely I think. A mask would be required if you leave your seat (to go to washrooms, concessions etc). That would be about 15% capacity. No stranger right beside you or behind you; anybody not from your social bubble remains 2 metres away.

Maybe I am just getting old, but this actually sounds kind of nice :)

El Salvador is pissed.  They sent an open letter to Vic complaining that they deserve to go straight to the octagonal.  Cry me a f***ing river.  You lost to the Dominicans and Bermuda before needing an offside winner to beat Montserrat at home.  

https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/FESFUT-pide-a-CONCACAF-reconsiderar-formato-de-eliminatoria-20200727-0006.html

whatsapp_image_2020-07-27_at_2_47_39_pm_1.jpeg_445890652.jpeg

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

30 minutes ago, nfitz said:

This is absolutely not true. Stop spreading dangerous lies. Somehow you seem to assume that Covid is massively under-reported to health authorities ... but flu isn't. I've had flu 2 or 3 times ... I was in hospital the last time, and as it was already weeks past any contagious-like symptoms, they didn't even bother to test for it (I was having some post-flu blood pressure issue). I didn't even go to the doctor the previous times. If anything, flu is even more under-reported than Covid.

It's been widely reported that flu is more contagious than this strain of Coronavirus.

And it's been widely reported that in many places, that the deaths from Covid in just 4 months exceed the number of flu deaths a year.

With those two pieces of information alone, it's blatantly obvious that Covid is more fatal than the flu. Let alone all the experts ...

To come here with outrageous lies, it tantamount to terrorism and assult.

Sorry to hear about your hospitalization.

There are experts who suggest the rates are comparable. That is not my opinion and sharing that information, which contains peer-reviewed material, is not tantamount to terrorism and assault.

I refuse to rehash this here. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Cheers.  

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

El Salvador is pissed.  They sent an open letter to Vic complaining that they deserve to go straight to the octagonal.  Cry me a f***ing river.  You lost to the Dominicans and Bermuda before needing an offside winner to beat Montserrat at home.  

https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/FESFUT-pide-a-CONCACAF-reconsiderar-formato-de-eliminatoria-20200727-0006.html

Yes, they're going absolutely nuts on twitter. I love it.  According to their conspiracy theories the powers that be in Concacaf and FIFA are bending over backwards to make sure Canada qualifies.  I will enjoy their pain. 

Edited by BrennanFan

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I can understand why they are pissed off. The leader of the confederation is from the same country that was in direct competition with them for the final spot. Now the format is changed and they get "screwed over".

On the other hand, their fans throw bags of piss and their players are professional divers, so too bad for you El Salvador. I will enjoy watching them not make the Octagonal.

Edited by Obinna

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sorry to hear about your hospitalization.

There are experts who suggest the rates are comparable. That is not my opinion and sharing that information, which contains peer-reviewed material, is not tantamount to terrorism and assault.

I refuse to rehash this here. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Cheers.  

This isn't true. These are dangerous lies that can kill people.

Can the moderators ban this person, and any other piece of filth who is going to spread blatant lies and dangerous conspiracy theores.

We need to rid of ourselves of this kind of crap.

16 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

whatsapp_image_2020-07-27_at_2_47_39_pm_1.jpeg_445890652.jpeg

It’s funny for us of course - but if the situation were reversed no doubt we would be going nuts too 😂 

2 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Not sure why they didn't just go with 8 groups of 4 (or 5 of 4, and 3 of 5) (or 8 of 4, and with the bottom 6 doing a play in).

Probably because Mexico and the USA would beat some of those teams very, very badly. They would win their groups very easily and the minnows would have a bunch of games with nothing to play for. Not saying that is the right approach, but that's probably what they are thinking. 

41 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I can understand why they are pissed off. The leader of the confederation is from the same country that was in direct competition with them for the final spot. Now the format is changed and they get "screwed over".

On the other hand, their fans throw bags of piss and their players are professional divers, so too bad for you El Salvador. I will enjoy watching them not make the Octagonal.

Define "screwed over".  It's akin to having a load of money mysteriously show up in your bank account and then you get a tap on the shoulder telling you that you have to give it back.  They've done nothing to deserve a direct place in the hex and were given a ridiculously undeserved advantage.  Now they're asked to actually earn it against the weakest possible opponent (Trinidad).  

11 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Define "screwed over".  It's akin to having a load of money mysteriously show up in your bank account and then you get a tap on the shoulder telling you that you have to give it back.  They've done nothing to deserve a direct place in the hex and were given a ridiculously undeserved advantage.  Now they're asked to actually earn it against the weakest possible opponent (Trinidad).  

To con, swindle, cheat or unfairly deprive one of something. 

They didn't mysteriously show up in the top 6, they were there on merit, using the same points system as everyone else.

That said, I hate how they tried to manipulate that system back in February against Iceland. It was cunning, but very poor in terms of sportsmanship. If you are so good, go out there and try and beat Iceland, don't weasel yourself out of it. Prove it on the field. 

This is why I have little sympathy for them. I can still understand their perspective though. I can see why they "think" they were screwed over.

Edited by Obinna

16 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Perhaps what is unsaid, is that someone in CONCACAF failed to put the money back in their account. :)

Or perhaps their pay-off of FIFA to not let them use CONACACF points, which was the original plan, and where Canada would have qualified, is now for nought.

Edited by nfitz

I'm kinda fascinated by the location of these games. The October window is just a few months away. I'm thinking whichever countries guarantee no quarantine. Also where players are coming from will dictate player selection in that if players would be forced to quarantine on return teams wont release those players. The October window will be very interesting 

• Admin locked this topic