Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

Was a RWB. Caught out of position some times but its not a natural position for him. He had a really great cross earlier in the game that didn't materialize into anything. Overall decent game but nothing of note that I can remember. 

He did go the full 90 which is a positive sign. 

Edited by canuckgbp

I don’t see how he can play on the wing with his lack of pace. When he was sent through on that breakaway and couldn’t even get a shot off that was pretty telling. It seems like his top speed never exceeds a jog. Maybe as he matures physically he’ll get faster but as of now he can’t get by anyone. It limits his game because all he can do are hopeful crosses from the wing.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I don’t see how he can play on the wing with his lack of pace. When he was sent through on that breakaway and couldn’t even get a shot off that was pretty telling. It seems like his top speed never exceeds a jog. Maybe as he matures physically he’ll get faster but as of now he can’t get by anyone. It limits his game because all he can do are hopeful crosses from the wing.

And it isn’t just pace.  He doesn’t seem to have the moves to get past guys (which don’t always rely on top speed).  Without those attributes I don’t see how he can be successful in the position.  

47 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And it isn’t just pace.  He doesn’t seem to have the moves to get past guys (which don’t always rely on top speed).  Without those attributes I don’t see how he can be successful in the position.  

I’m going to use the “he’s 17” excuse here. The important thing is he's still young doesn’t seem to get blown away by seasoned pros. 

It will become more apparent what his skills are when he matures. But in the meantime we should be patient and not foam at the mouth that he wasn’t on the field when he was 16 and probably about 90 pounds 

1 hour ago, ag futbol said:

I’m going to use the “he’s 17” excuse here. The important thing is he's still young doesn’t seem to get blown away by seasoned pros. 

It will become more apparent what his skills are when he matures. But in the meantime we should be patient and not foam at the mouth that he wasn’t on the field when he was 16 and probably about 90 pounds 

This. 

2 hours ago, ag futbol said:

Fair enough.  I just think it is very obviously something he will have to work on a lot in the next year or two to be effective on that position.    

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I’m going to have to disagree here.  Now I didn’t see the game yesterday, but I’ve watched the recent ones he’s been involved with.  I agree on the pace aspect.  He doesn’t have the north south type speed like a Buchanan does.  But he’s got the moves/touch. He makes subtle body movements and I’ve seen him take guys on fairly successfully and turn it into a cross in the last few weeks.  Very smart player. You really haven’t noticed that at all?

Just now, EJsens1 said:

I’m going to have to disagree here.  Now I didn’t see the game yesterday, but I’ve watched the recent ones he’s been involved with.  I agree on the pace aspect.  He doesn’t have the north south type speed like a Buchanan does.  But he’s got the moves/touch. He makes subtle body movements and I’ve seen him take guys on fairly successfully and turn it into a cross in the last few weeks.  Very smart player. You really haven’t noticed that at all?

I have noticed it, but at the risk of sounding overly critical (and I don’t want to seem douchy because he is a really talented 17 year old kid) it seems like one move all the time - he cuts back hard to create space.  On his breakaway (at least when he was running in from the right) last night he tried it 3 times back and forth.  And it was pretty much the same move I remember seeing from him in previous games.  It had worked sometimes but very quickly a good defender will learn what an attacker will try to do.  The Atlanta defender last night had clearly done his homework, or just had the skillset to easily deal with it, but JMR wasn’t getting by him. 

He can sometimes use it to create enough space to get a cross in - and maybe that is enough for now given where he is in his development.  But wingers pretty much universally need to develop the ability to run at guys and take them on directly.  

Again, I know I am being really picky for a guy just getting first team minutes.  But I have pretty high hopes for this kid, and what we are starting to see from him in terms of composure and off the ball movement is quite good.  Insofar as he plans to be a winger, I just think there are elements of his game (mainly pace and trickery) where he obviously needs to put he work in.  And if he doesn’t have that stuff in his Arsenal, I wonder if his skillset would be more suited to an attacking midfielder than a winger.  

Robben made a nice career out of 1 move, a nice shot off that move and good pace.  But I think we are getting too focused on the pace though.  Lareya, Davies, Buchanon have spoiled us, I dont remember when we had more than 1 guy on CMNT that was fast, so good at 1v1 moves.  Not everyone is blessed with that athletic ability and if Rutty matures physically he might migrate to the center of the park.  Part of the "foaming" at the mouth for minutes we have done is so they can see what these kids can or cant do at the MLS level.  Someone made a good point about Nelsen's youth coaches not doing him any favors by letting him play a certain way.  Maybe Rutty could dominate u-17 with 1 move and average speed on the wing, but now against seasoned pros he needs to put in the work to hone his skills/round out his game, something that a natural phenom might not have had to do much to this point.  But its nice to see these kids improving every game....i would say everyone of them has.  This investment should pay off next season if the kids are still around.  

8 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

And this is why he might end up in the midfield?

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

I can't say that I know any of the other players on the list, but there's nobody in their right mind that's paying more for JMR than they would for Kaide Gordon. The only reason that Liverpool paid so little as they did for Gordon last summer was because Derby County are in serious financial shit and had to get the money in quickly. After one look at him in pre-season training with the youth team, Pep Lijnders went to Jurgen Klopp and insisted that they had to take the 16-year old to the full training camp in Austria with the senior team. He turned 17 last month and already has a first-team start for Liverpool, and he'll get more before this season is finished.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I can't say that I know any of the other players on the list, but there's nobody in their right mind that's paying more for JMR than they would for Kaide Gordon. The only reason that Liverpool paid so little as they did for Gordon last summer was because Derby County are in serious financial shit and had to get the money in quickly. After one look at him in pre-season training with the youth team, Pep Lijnders went to Jurgen Klopp and insisted that they had to take the 16-year old to the full training camp in Austria with the senior team. He turned 17 last month and already has a first-team start for Liverpool, and he'll get more before this season is finished.

Fernando Olevar is a special special player.  Kaide Gordon the same. 

All MLS values are inflated on transfermarkt tbh for a number of reasons you could say.  Could say a lot of it has to do with how much opportunity MLS affords to young players.  But it's drastically harder to get apps as a young player in other leagues versus in the MLS. 

• 3 weeks later...